• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

ZFS Making its Way to OS X

Rudy    457

You guys need to read up on Sparse images ;) You can create one as big as you want but it will only use the space taken by the files inside (eg: a 20GB sparse image with 5GB of data inside will take 5GB of space and not 20) So you can create one as big as you want.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_image

tomjol    7

Or it's a photoshopped get info window and that was 5.12 tb raid or something?

Do you guys have any idea what a 5PB drive is? It's 5 thousand terrabytes... that means you would need 1,667 3TB drives to get to that number. Who in their right mind would even do that..

Do you have any idea how condescending a **** you are?

• Like 1

KoL    36

You guys need to read up on Sparse images ;) You can create one as big as you want but it will only use the space taken by the files inside (eg: a 20GB sparse image with 5GB of data inside will take 5GB of space and not 20) So you can create one as big as you want.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_image

Hehe thanks and you can see on the image that is a sparse image. I did't see that. :D

.Neo    1,834
The article states...

Well there we have it...

The screen shot says 359,39 GB is left of the 5,12 PB, which means 5+ PB is still being used.

Disk Utility won't allow you to create an image that's bigger than the disc it's being saved on either. Maybe other utilities will though.

screenshot20110320at171d.png

the evn show    138

So yes it's mine, no it's not backed by a 5PB storage device, no it's not photoshopped. The point was to demonstrate that a 2 TB volume was not the upper limit of an HFS+ volume.

There's no magic or tricker going on in the screenshot, It's a sparse disk image. Mac OS X treats volumes different from the device upon which they're stored which allows you to create a volume as big as you like. I was posting from my notebook which has a 500gb drive with about 150gb used. When the image is mounted the OS will look at how much space is free on the device holding the image, subtract that from the amount of space allocated to the volume, and display that amount as used. ~500gb - 150gb leaves about 350gb 'free' for a sparse disk image of any size you like.

The reason it's displayed with <a truckload> of used up space is to prevent you from trying to put more data into the spare image than you can fit on the device backing it. If I were to take spare image and toss it on an 8gb USB flash drive it would display as having 7 GB free (the .sparesimge file is ~1gb) and if I cleared off my drobo and tossed it there it would have around 12 TB free.

Disk Utility won't allow you to create an image that's bigger than the disc it's being saved on either. Maybe other utilities will though.

If you want to try for yourself just change the image format to 'sparse disk image' before you set the size.

.Neo    1,834

What did you use to create it? Like I said Disk Utility won't allow me to create an image bigger than the drive I store it on.

the evn show    138

What did you use to create it? Like I said Disk Utility won't allow me to create an image bigger than the drive I store it on.

Did you follow the instruction to set image type before setting the size?

Youtube wants a couple of minutes to 'process' but you should be able to see it shortly.

.Neo    1,834

Video is unavailable. I managed to create one though. :)

tra    0

Video is unavailable. I managed to create one though. :)

Can you download the port/ZFS driver anywhere?