'Gay cure' Apple iPhone app: more than 80,000 complain

read there

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/21/gay-cure-apple-iphone

and its still available. :pinch:

whats wrong with apple? first they ban wikileaks app and now they allow such a nonsense? for sure, their moral compass has gone totally wrong.

now im even more happy to use an android device :cool:

And the world goes round. I guess gay's don't believe in freedom of expression? :rolleyes:

there was a very clever saying from a very gr8 politician once... it went like this :"you have to be tolerant but you dont have to tolerant hate or intolerance."

its shocking how many **** and crap goes under the lable of "freedom of expression" these days.

if i take a gun and shot the creator of this iphone app dead is that then "freedom of choice"? :laugh:

And the world goes round. I guess gay's don't believe in freedom of expression? :rolleyes:

Thats funny just assuming its "the gays" that are complaining about this, straight people with morals can complain also?

there was a very clever saying from a very gr8 politician once... it went like this :"you have to be tolerant but you dont have to tolerant hate or intolerance."

its shocking how many **** and crap goes under the lable of "freedom of expression" these days.

if i take a gun and shot the creator of this iphone app dead is that then "freedom of choice"? :laugh:

Use freedom of the press, you will most likely get away with it then ;)

So its ok to have an app that located gay men near you so that you can send them messages and meet up for whatever purpose you then decide? So what if moral objections were raised against this?

+1

There is a huge difference between overregulation and underregulation.

There is a limit, and obviously not everybody believes in homosexuality. I personally don't care, but what I do care is when either side starts crying like a bunch of babies.

What "side" are crying?

You are just assuming 80,000 gay people are complaining. I showed this to my gay housemate and he doesnt give a ****.

[. . .]

So its ok to have an app that located gay men near you so that you can send them messages and meet up for whatever purpose you then decide? So what if moral objections were raised against this?

That's exactly like asking what if moral obligations were raised against the official Facebook application, or an IMDb application (any application, really). The reason so many people are complaining about this is because Apple rated the application 4, which suggests there is no objectionable content, yet these people assert homosexuality can be cured, despite the fact it can't be, and the fact it is not a disease (or anything which needs to be cured). The application is full of hate for homosexuality and further fuels any intolerance toward it; furthermore, Apple accepting it as "no objectionable content" gives the message that it is acceptable to lie about homosexuality and value the idea that it is something which can?and needs to?be cured.

An application which locates "gay men near you so that you can send them messages and meet up for whatever purpose you then decide" is clearly not full of hate and intolerance and it only locates those who have likewise signed up to the service.

There is a limit, and obviously not everybody believes in homosexuality. I personally don't care, but what I do care is when either side starts crying like a bunch of babies.

People have to believe in things which exist. It'd be silly if someone said they don't believe in something which exists. If you mean not everyone agrees homosexuality is right, then your post makes sense :)

It is amusing how many complain and try to fight for 'freedom of speech' and whatnot and when it comes down to it, if it offends you you will fight it even if it violates someone elses freedom of speech. As for the actual 'Gay cure' application. Is it just showing up in the top ten or something or have a lot of users been searching the terms "Gay" or "Gay cure"?

Before anyone starts to flame me because of my reply to this thread, I am neutral on whether or not this should be allowed in the App store.

What "side" are crying?

You are just assuming 80,000 gay people are complaining. I showed this to my gay housemate and he doesnt give a ****.

Exactly, I would imagine most of the people complaining are probably not gay, have never used the app, might not even have an iPhone but read about it in the paper and complained.

There was something over here a short while back where on the Radio (can't remember the incident now) something happened and during the LIVE show, 3 people complained about it. After it was reported in the newspaper, that shot up to thousands and thousands of complaints - probably from people who hadn't even listened originally.

Considering a large percentage of people in the LGBT community are avid Apple users (in Canada at least), I can see this being pulled eventually in order for Apple to maintain a positive reputation within that community.

Logic would dictate that it have been rejected for failing to function correctly given that it doesn't "cure gay"...

That's exactly like asking what if moral obligations were raised against the official Facebook application, or an IMDb application (any application, really). The reason so many people are complaining about this is because Apple rated the application 4, which suggests there is no objectionable content, yet these people assert homosexuality can be cured, despite the fact it can't be, and the fact it is not a disease (or anything which needs to be cured). The application is full of hate for homosexuality and further fuels any intolerance toward it; furthermore, Apple accepting it as "no objectionable content" gives the message that it is acceptable to lie about homosexuality and value the idea that it is something which can?and needs to?be cured.

An application which locates "gay men near you so that you can send them messages and meet up for whatever purpose you then decide" is clearly not full of hate and intolerance and it only locates those who have likewise signed up to the service.

People have to believe in things which exist. It'd be silly if someone said they don't believe in something which exists. If you mean not everyone agrees homosexuality is right, then your post makes sense :)

Lol yes thats what I mean! :blush:

Whatever happened to "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."? There is a difference between creating an iPhone app that people do not have to download or even pay any attention to, and shooting a man dead.

However, as someone above posted this at the very least should be removed as it does not work. I also happen to believe "gay cure" programs can be quite harmful, and individuals are often ushered into them very much against their will, which is a good argument against them being protected by the concept of free speech.

Again, how this app worked?

If it sensed you having an erection, while looking at other males, it sent a shock to your body. :shifty: Then it reads you a Bible quote ...

Just curious, but that the app does exactly?

According to the group, it provides "freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus".

I'm not kidding either. Read the article linked in the 1st post.

And it was pulled:

Apple pulls 'gay cure' iPhone app

I guess freedom of speech and expression only applies to homosexuals.

Tis a sad day when equality is not applied equally.

Now I wonder though... would Apple pull an app that promotes homosexuality or a way for homosexuals to connect if the religious complained vociferously?

• Like 2