George Hotz Runs Away to South America; Lies About Having PSN Account

After the judge demanded George Hotz gives in his devices and hard drives, the PlayStation 3 hacker ran away to South America to avoid handing his possessions in and now has put his case in extreme jeopardy. The hacker also lied about having a PlayStation Network account. GeoHot has finally been caught out.

A file from the Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC v. Hotz case recently detailed Hot?z recent actions. It said:

Though the evidence establishing personal jurisdiction is already overwhelming, SCEA has little doubt that there is much more. However, over the last several weeks. Hotz has engaged in a campaign to thwart jurisdictional discovery at every turn ?regardless of whether the Court has ordered such discovery or not. Most seriously, after Magistrate Judge Spero ordered an inspection of Hotz?s devices and ordered Hotz to appear at a deposition in California, SCEA learned that Hotz had deliberately removed integral components of his impounded hard drives prior to delivering them to a third party neutral and that Hotz is now in South America, an excuse for why he will not immediately provide the components of his hard drives as requested by the neutral. Hotz?s attempts to dodge this Court?s authority raise very serious questions.

The hacker also lied about having a PSN account:

On January 12, 2011, Hotz submitted a declaration to the Court (Docket No. 19-1) in which he made unequivocal statements on a number of topics. However, when it came to discussing the PSN account, Hotz equivocated, stating: ?To the best of my knowledge and belief, I do not have a PlayStation Network account.? Hotz also provided interrogatory responses that he has refused to verify, stating that he has not accessed the PSN. Bricker Decl. ?4.Hotz identified four PS3 Systems in his possession. Bricker Decl., ?4, Exh. C. He explained that he had purchased one of these consoles new in February 2010 and provided the serial number for that console. Id. SCEA used that serial number to determine that on February 25, 2010, Hotz purchased the PS3 System at a Gamestop store just miles from his home. Law Decl., ?6; Bricker Decl., ?6, Exh. E. SCEA?s records show that the same PS3 System was used on March 10, 2010 to create a PSN account under the user name ?blickmanic.? Law Decl., ?6, Exh. A. The IP address associated with the registration is located in Glen Rock, New Jersey, where Hotz lives.

Then, more evidence regarding his PSN account was discovered:

Hotz?s ownership of the ?blickmanic? account is further supported by the fact that an Internet search of the user name ?blickmanic? reveals a posting discussing the jailbreaking of cellular phones ? Hotz?s original ?claim to fame.? Bricker Decl., ?7, Exh. F (?Just curious what people would pay for exclusive rights to this solution. [Motorola] Tracfone W175g unlocked and debranded. PM me.?) As discussed above, to create his PSN account, Hotz was required to first agree to the terms of the PSN User Agreement and thus he is clearly subject to personal jurisdiction in California. It is well established that a valid and enforceable forum selection clause operates as consent to personal jurisdiction in a designated forum.

Sony continued that even without his PSN account breach evidence, they already have enough evidence against him:

Although Hotz?s PSN account registration clearly establishes jurisdiction, even without it, SCEA has shown the necessary minimum contacts between Hotz and California.

Oh, boy; it?s going off big now.

Source: http://vghq.net/2011/03/23/george-hotz-runs-away-to-south-america-lies-about-having-psn-account/

Hope anyone who donated enjoys their money being ****ed into the wind!

Even though he lied, (if in fact that is the case) I still firmly believe that you are allowed to do whatever you want with something you have purchased.

Doesnt matter what you think should happen its what the law states wether i agree with it or not. I feel sorry for him in a way the idiots trying his case like the judge who ordered him to go and remove every copy of this jailbreak files from the internet these old generation of law makers dont have a clue how technology works so he will get a harsher sentence than he deserves.

Even though he lied, (if in fact that is the case) I still firmly believe that you are allowed to do whatever you want with something you have purchased.

Except you never purchased the software. You are licensing it.

You don't own it anymore than you "own" a house you rent or a car you lease.

You own the hardware, not the software. He's not getting punished for hacking his own PS3, he's getting punished for modifying Sony's code and distributing the means to doing it to everyone.

What he's done is a huge security risk for the company in an investment they've made billions towards. If that was your investment you'd go after him like the plague as well.

His actions now just scream of guilt and he clearly knows he's ****ed up.

Doesnt matter what you think should happen its what the law states wether i agree with it or not. I feel sorry for him in a way the idiots trying his case like the judge who ordered him to go and remove every copy of this jailbreak files from the internet these old generation of law makers dont have a clue how technology works so he will get a harsher sentence than he deserves.

And then you have the white knights of the internet that make posts like he impregnated their sister. :rolleyes:

Stop with the s***t about i bought the product it belongs to me rubbish i could buy a frikin tank take it to the pentagon fire a Sabot round into the building and say its my tank i can do what i like.....what do u think would happen.

If you dont want to governed by the laws of your country go buy your own country and you can do what you like.

****, The Man is after him!

If it's The Man you want to talk about, read this

IGN: What are your thoughts on the recent PlayStation 3 hack situation surrounding George Hotz? His issue appears to be about whether or not someone owns the PS3 console they bought.

Jaffe: I agree if you buy something, it's yours. You can take a f*cking sh*t in it if you want to. Now, I don't know all the facts and haven't done all the research surrounding the lawsuit, but if you break the law, you break the law. It doesn't mean all laws are good, and it doesn't mean some laws should be broken simply out of protest. There are people out there that act like he's a folk hero, but Sony has every right to protect their property.

I think there's this popular myth in our country, and I understand it because the 'every man' has gotten screwed left and right by corporations in this country in terms of special interests, controlling government through money, and the Supreme Court's recent decision to pretty much allow corporations to be an individual when it comes to campaign finance. There is a justifiable animosity towards capitalism in America. At the same time, I love capitalism; I'm a huge fan of capitalism. But the way it's been going, I get it. It gives rise to this David vs. Goliath myth, and whenever you have a single guy going up against a company, it's a knee-jerk reaction to say, "They're the bad guys, he's the good guy." And I don't even know if there's a bad guy or a good guy in this case.

But I can tell you if I was Sony and I had spent crazy amounts of money to create a piece of hardware and went out of the way to protect that property that was invested in and made sure there were legal checks in place, and then somebody comes and breaks the law and basically f*cks with your ability to do business, I think they have every right to go after him.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1155383p2.html

You own the hardware, not the software. He's not getting punished for hacking his own PS3, he's getting punished for modifying Sony's code and distributing the means to doing it to everyone.

What he's done is a huge security risk for the company in an investment they've made billions towards. If that was your investment you'd go after him like the plague as well.

His actions now just scream of guilt and he clearly knows he's ****ed up.

I bet sony begs to differ, they'd probably say you own the hardware but you stil cant put custom firmwares on it that you developed entirely yourself because somehow it will violate propiatary microcode or something stupid that you couldn't change to start with due to it being in one of the processors

I bet sony begs to differ, they'd probably say you own the hardware but you stil cant put custom firmwares on it that you developed entirely yourself because somehow it will violate propiatary microcode or something stupid that you couldn't change to start with due to it being in one of the processors

Well if you try to go on PSN with your own custom firmware, yes, of course. You can't connect to the PSN service without accepting the terms and conditions to doing so. The PSN service is owned and maintained by Sony, you don't own it nor did you buy a share in it when you bought a PS3.

If your console is offline what can they do/care about? A console out of the box doesn't come with PSN, you have to enable PSN yourself. Without accepting any terms and conditions of PSN you can pretty much do whatever the **** you want with your piece of hardware.

Sony may not like you pirating on your offline console, but neither will Bible lovers like it if you tear up the Bible and glue it to your PS3 in some sort of cult fashion. But not liking something is different from having T&C/EULAs/Legal ground.

Whether you agree with Sony or not, I don't see why they're even bothering to go after him. What do they expect to gain? He doesn't have money, it won't deter others in the future as long as there's a challenge to be cracked.

Now, I don't know all the facts and haven't done all the research surrounding the lawsuit, but if you break the law, you break the law.
But... he didn't break the law?

If this was a fact the court would let him walk free. Maybe he didn't break any laws of yours, but you are not the law in this case :laugh:

I thought he did by modifying Sony's code and providing tools that would allow others to modify the code?

I thought he did by modifying Sony's code and providing tools that would allow others to modify the code?
I'm not an expert in common law, but if he did his magic here, it would be cool. If it wasn't for the DMCA, he would not have broken the law (and even so, it's pretty relative), but only made a breach of contract.

I'm not an expert in common law, but if he did his magic here, it would be cool. If it wasn't for the DMCA, he would not have broken the law, but only made a breach of contract.

I'm no expert either, but by lying in his submitted court documents, isn't that in itself perjury, thus breaking the law?

I'm no expert either, but by lying in his submitted court documents, isn't that in itself perjury, thus breaking the law?
Yes and No.
If he didn't think that he broke any laws, why did he make like a rabbit and run like a coward to South America??
593815702[/snapback]