George Hotz Runs Away to South America; Lies About Having PSN Account

Glad i spent my money on a better place ;)

I miss having a sub :( I'm too broke just now though. At least we know Neowin spend our money on beer :pint: :woot:

Sony should stop throwing their toys out of their pram and stop trying to s*it on this guy.

It is making them look desperate and immature. They should focus their attentions on fixing their own console and increasing security.

Besides, if you've bought the console you should be able to do whatever you like to it. Posting the details is just enabling others to do whatever they like to theirs.

If necessary, just ban them from PSN or whatever.

Embracing this community is the only sensible approach but they've just been caught red faced with their pants down, and are scrambling to make an example.

Bad form, sony.

Sony should stop throwing their toys out of their pram and stop trying to s*it on this guy.

It is making them look desperate and immature. They should focus their attentions on fixing their own console and increasing security.

Embracing this community is the only sensible approach but they've just been caught red faced with their pants down, and are scrambling to make an example.

Bad form, sony.

Um... They did fix their console... and they did increase the security.

Um... They did fix their console... and they did increase the security.

My point exactly. Why the desperate carry-on.... they should be having this guy look for all the rest of the flaws in their product rather than trying to just sh*t on him.

He looks like a poor kid?

LOL! What a complete d**k. lol. Seriously, he must surely think the words he's spouting here are funny. But he just makes himself sound mor like a douche bag every sentence he 'raps'.

I hope he loses everything. He better not get away with f**king up millions of players gaming.

My point exactly. Why the desperate carry-on.... they should be having this guy look for all the rest of the flaws in their product rather than trying to just sh*t on him.

You think he should be allowed to walk away from this? Shut up. You don't understand the justice system do you.

A guy steals a car ... and then the person he steals it from gets it back. You think the guy who stole it should be allowed to walk away? Get a grip. The guy needs to have his ass kicked.

You think he should be allowed to walk away from this? Shut up. You don't understand the justice system do you.

A guy steals a car ... and then the person he steals it from gets it back. You think the guy who stole it should be allowed to walk away? Get a grip. The guy needs to have his ass kicked.

Haha what the hell did he actually steal? He hacked his own console. Grow up. That analogy is so irrelevant it's laughable. It's more like, guy buys a car. Car maker has said it can never be modded. Guy mods car and makes them look silly but posts details online enabling others to do the same TO THEIR OWN PROPERTY. Car maker sues guy.

The xbox was hacked far more than PS3 has been and yet Microsoft don't go around flapping their arms in the air suing everyone in some failed bid to look like they have the situation under control. They just release bans via xbox live and are done with it. And in fact have been embracing the hacker community across multiple business areas. Much more mature solution.

so um what parts of the hard drives did he "remove"? the platters? :laugh:

I was confused by that as well. I was like, did he remove the actual disc? Maybe break off all the jumpers so it couldn't activate? But I think he most likely was just deleting data that he didn't want them to see.

Is it proven that he went to South America or is this just gossip?

I believe he is still in the US and is just destroying the evidence (perfectly understandable)

Keep going geohotz. Sooner or later, they'll give up

I believe he is still in the US and is just destroying the evidence (perfectly understandable)

Yeah keep telling yourself that LOL

Haha what the hell did he actually steal? He hacked his own console. Grow up. That analogy is so irrelevant it's laughable. It's more like, guy buys a car. Car maker has said it can never be modded. Guy mods car and makes them look silly but posts details online enabling others to do the same TO THEIR OWN PROPERTY. Car maker sues guy.

The xbox was hacked far more than PS3 has been and yet Microsoft don't go around flapping their arms in the air suing everyone in some failed bid to look like they have the situation under control. They just release bans via xbox live and are done with it. And in fact have been embracing the hacker community across multiple business areas. Much more mature solution.

More like guy leases a car.

Modifies it and then returns it to the dealership.

You don't buy software; you license it and when you license it, you agree not to do modify or copy it.

That alone will get you thrown in jail; not by Sony but by the judge...

Classic case of the cover-up being worse than the crime. That is obstruction of justice my friend. He just upgraded from a civil case to a criminial case.

Not following the analogy. What did he steal?

I think he is saying:

Geohot hacked the PS3. Sony fixed the hack from working.

Same thing as if someone stole a car but then returned it later. That guy is still going to jail.

Geohot should not get off scott-free just because his hack doesn't work anymore.

Just because the "harm" is zero, the fact is you broke the law in the first place.

The analogy is: Someone commits a crime, everything then goes back to normal, should the person who committed the crime go unpunished?

I'm not against them going after him for example, but this isn't some lawyer for Sony defending them, this is electronics giant Sony putting everything they have on some kid. They are probably spending millions and millions just to set an example. Money GeoHot is surely not worth and they will never see back. I don't know what kind of investing you do, but I'd rather invest in the company that doesn't waste money rather than the one that makes an example out of some kid because Sony's programmers are too stupid to write security code. That's where you admit your mistake, fix it, go ahead and punish him with some kind of lawsuit, but don't run him into the ground, and move on having learned a lesson.

He's an example and one they think they can make easily. Unfortunately, it's not a righteous example. They're not saying "We need to keep our property secure so that we can continue to make it." They're just continuing with "F*ck you, we own you." I'm all for GeoHot having action taken against him but the unreasonable amount of force that Sony is using is ridiculous. I probably would have fled the country too if a company subpoenaed Google to find out who watched my video on YouTube.

So if this kid is guilty of releasing means to circumvent security, then what about Kevin Butler who tweeted it to Sony's entire Twitter fanbase? If that was their angle, Sony had a case. Only problem now is, they've done it themselves too. Through their actions, past and present, they've also shown that they are the archetype evil capitalist organization. I hope their case is thrown out simply because they've gone above and beyond what merited a fair case. They could have gotten him a LONG time ago. Stupidly it became a game of everyone trying to protect their image.

Now this kid went from violating DMCA, which is still a relatively new and gray-area law, to committing grievous wrongs like perjury and tampering with evidence. Sony went from being fools to actually having a case. Great job Geohot.

Well, not exactly. More like, guy mods car, makes them look silly, posts details enabling others to do the same to their cars. Except that a number of these cars are competing in a big race with loads of un-modded cars that are being driven the way they were intended to for the sport, and have an unfair advantage because of it. Sony doesn't have a problem with the guy modding his car for his own fun on his own personal race track, but going in and f***ing with a big race people spend time and money to be an accomplished part of is an entirely different story.

Well, not exactly. More like, guy mods car, makes them look silly, posts details enabling others to do the same to their cars. Except that a number of these cars are competing in a big race with loads of un-modded cars that are being driven the way they were intended to for the sport, and have an unfair advantage because of it. Sony doesn't have a problem with the guy modding his car for his own fun on his own personal race track, but going in and f***ing with a big race people spend time and money to be an accomplished part of is an entirely different story.

While that isn't exactly what Sony is trying to say from a legal standpoint, from a practical standpoint you are right on.

If Geohot hacked his own PS3 and kept it to himself or even just posted youtube videos, Sony probably wouldn't have done anything. You can find all kinds of "hacking" videos on youtube that may or may not be real. Who knows? But, Geohot crossed the line when he started telling people how to do it and distributing Sony code. At that point, Sony was forced to stop him.

It's like this:

If you smoke pot in your basement and no one knows about it, then you're not going to get caught.

If you smoke pot in front of a police station, then you're just asking to get arrested.

Both things are illegal but clearly one is stupider than the other.

If Geohot kept his mouth shut, he wouldn't be in this mess.

If it wasn't for the DMCA, he would not have broken the law

So what you're saying is; if there wasn't a law against it, then it wouldn't have been breaking the law...? I assume murder is also justifiable because that wouldn't be breaking the law if they hadn't created laws forbidding it :p

Yeah keep telling yourself that LOL

Well, the trial can last for years and years....

That alone will get you thrown in jail; not by Sony but by the judge...

Classic case of the cover-up being worse than the crime. That is obstruction of justice my friend. He just upgraded from a civil case to a criminial case.

If there is no evidence (it "disappeared") you really cant be charged for more than you already have........

You shoot someone but there is no gun (it "disappeared") and no witnesses except the person that got shot; Can you prove it?

So what you're saying is; if there wasn't a law against it, then it wouldn't have been breaking the law...? I assume murder is also justifiable because that wouldn't be breaking the law if they hadn't created laws forbidding it :p

Murder is pretty clear cut. DMCA is not. What fails under that and what falls under fair use? If someone is dead, they're dead. Their might be different ways they died, but they're still dead.