Parse Emails? (from Gmail)

Question

Hello,

I'm trying to get some statistics on a couple of thousand emails in Gmail, and was wondering what the best way to do this would be.

I'm thinking the first step would be to download it via POP or IMAP to a desktop client, but I'm not very familiar with desktop clients. Do they store the emails in their own database or each as a separate file? Which client would be the easiest to work with if, for example, I want to extract the Title and timestamp of each email and dump that into a csv?

Also, how would I go about that part about dumping the title and timestamp into a csv?

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Hello,

I'm trying to get some statistics on a couple of thousand emails in Gmail, and was wondering what the best way to do this would be.

I'm thinking the first step would be to download it via POP or IMAP to a desktop client, but I'm not very familiar with desktop clients. Do they store the emails in their own database or each as a separate file? Which client would be the easiest to work with if, for example, I want to extract the Title and timestamp of each email and dump that into a csv?

Also, how would I go about that part about dumping the title and timestamp into a csv?

Thanks!

You can use PHP to communicate with an IMAP Server and download the emails from there, I'm doing something similar at work at the moment. If you can wait till tomorrow, I can post some links that I used to get started..... I have also mangaed to get the code to connect to Gmail direct!

So I discovered that it's possible to export all the survey results and get the timestamps from there, instead of relying on the timestamps of the email notifications for submission. But unfortunately it's recorded in human-readable form rather than timestamps, in a different time zone ><

In any case, it'd be interesting to check out your links for grabbing emails, would be fun to play with.

Thanks!