Syfy's "Alphas"

So let me see : we have Mr Badass, Mr Cool, Mr Black, Miss Woman and Mr Wise. Do you want anything else with your stereotypes ? Nah seriously, I think it has a chance to last a season.

So it's another lame "Heroes" type show. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Where is the real creativity in sci-fi? It's all in the novels. What would rock would be a live-action adaption to "Ghost in the Shell".

Its not really like heroes. Its more like x-men meets cia type show.

Its not really like heroes. Its more like x-men meets cia type show.

What you just described is even worse. Basically once Sci-Fi became SyFy that signaled the beginning of the rot.

The general public is the one who allow shows like this to happen. The networks believe it or not are marketing at the general user who needs dumbed down. no interaction, mind numbing entertainment.

The general public is the one who allow shows like this to happen. The networks believe it or not are marketing at the general user who needs dumbed down. no interaction, mind numbing entertainment.

When the most popular forms of entertainment in America are "Who wants to be a millioniare", "Dancing with the Stars", "American Idol", "Glee", NASCAR and all those stupid network shows why is it a surprise that the studio execs ok a show like this? It's a business and catering to the stupid masses is what makes profits. However I can't imagine how we survive as a society on such mediocrity.

When the most popular forms of entertainment in America are "Who wants to be a millioniare", "Dancing with the Stars", "American Idol", "Glee", NASCAR and all those stupid network shows why is it a surprise that the studio execs ok a show like this? It's a business and catering to the stupid masses is what makes profits. However I can't imagine how we survive as a society on such mediocrity.

I work on the production side of things for one of the largest production companies in this multi state area and I've seen some of the ideas that we come up with and pitch to the networks and what makes it by the networks. I hear all the time how we need to dumb stuff down to make it easier for the general public. It's quite sad since the company was founded on Informative Science Programming and now we have to create basic programming.

I work on the production side of things for one of the largest production companies in this multi state area and I've seen some of the ideas that we come up with and pitch to the networks and what makes it by the networks. I hear all the time how we need to dumb stuff down to make it easier for the general public. It's quite sad since the company was founded on Informative Science Programming and now we have to create basic programming.

OTOH, what can you do? You can't force intellectual material on the dull masses. SyFy tried it with "Caprica" and it failed miserably from a commercial standpoint. Excellent show and I'm glad I have it.

The pilot actually was good, thought it would be much worse, let's see how good would be future episodes.

It was good.... not great. It has potential to be a good show, but it has potential to be a bad show. The kid who can radio waves is a little too rainman for me to enjoy this long term unless they tone him down.

So let me see : we have Mr Badass, Mr Cool, Mr Black, Miss Woman and Mr Wise. Do you want anything else with your stereotypes ? Nah seriously, I think it has a chance to last a season.

Sterotypes? What the hell are you on?

this second episode was very good, it reminded me of that Fringe episode with the guy that could see all the variables :)

Also, am I the only one who thought of this?

warren-christie.jpg?d=600shepard3.jpg

ok he may need to bulk up a bit :p

this second episode was very good, it reminded me of that Fringe episode with the guy that could see all the variables :)

Also, am I the only one who thought of this?

warren-christie.jpg?d=600shepard3.jpg

ok he may need to bulk up a bit :p

definitely could be a winner there for the mass effect movie laugh.gif

does this have anything to do with Brave New World?

Other than Alphas being better than everyone else, no. There's no sleep conditioning or state-care of infants or anything else BNW-ish.

Somebody already described it as "X-Men join the CIA" which pretty much sums it up. One guy is super accurate, one guy is super strong, one guy (with Asperger's) can access wireless frequencies, one girl has enhanced senses, one girl has mind control, etc...

We've already seen talk about a future war between Alphas (aka Mutants) and Humans which is right out of the X-Men comics/movies.

Still, it isn't totally unwatchable. I'd probably rather watch Sanctuary or Merlin or Torchwood but it isn't horrible. No matter what, it's going to be better than wrestling.

Sterotypes? What the hell are you on?

Mea Culpa, I translated the world from french while they have slightly different cultural meanings. What I means was more on the lines of archetypes.

I actually like this show, i was glad to see Ryan Cartwright with an active job after he had left Bones. I had not looked him up to see if he left for a reason and now i am glad to see him :D

It's actually not too bad and some of the future episodes looking decent. I'll watch it for summertime at least :) (nothing else on that's good anyways)

• 2 weeks later...

Great low budget show. I really enjoy it. 'Never Let Me Go' episode was a little weird but everything else has been excellent. I think it's a great spin off super hero movies.