How do I use this Euro symbol/key on this US keyboard?

Hey

I have a US laptop and I recently changed the keyboard as one of the keys broke and I used the warrenty. This new keyboard is exactly the same (man it feels good to type on a brand new keyboard lol) but it has something change- Besides the number 5 is there the Euro symbol.

It surprised me and the tech as this is the same part number as the US keyboard I had when I bought the laptop (and it did not have the euro symbol)

We tried a few logic combinations but it would simply not print out.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Picture:

p3250661.jpg

unless it's built into the systems keyboard it won't be usable or maybe if you remap it to different locality or something but if it's just a replacement key it'll not be useable. However just the blue buttons on your other keys on the system it came from it could possibly be activated via the Fn[function] key + 5

What's printed on the button has little effect on how Windows handles it. Try to see what other US keyboard layouts are available in Windows and try some out!

Use Right Alt + 5 to access the ? symbol. (at least that's how it works on all British keyboards that I've used)

Use Right Alt + 5 to access the ? symbol. (at least that's how it works on all British keyboards that I've used)

yeah right Alt (Alt GR)+ 5 or Alt Gr+ e

Hmm. What did you already try? Ctrl, or Alt, or Fn + 5?

5=5

Left Ctrl+5=(nothing)

Left Alt+5=(nothing)

Left Shift+5=%

Fn+5=5

Left Ctrl+Left Alt+5=(nothing)

Left Ctrl+Left Shift+5=(nothing)

Left Shift+Left Alt+5=Windows' sound "Error Beep"

Left Shift+Left Ctrl+Left Alt+5=(nothing)

Fn+Left Shift+5=%

Fn+Left Alt+5=Windows' sound "Error Beep"

Fn+Left Ctrl+5=(nothing)

Fn+Left Ctrl+Left Alt+Left Shift+5=(nothing)

If I missed any left combination say so before I try it on the right :p

unless it's built into the systems keyboard it won't be usable or maybe if you remap it to different locality or something but if it's just a replacement key it'll not be useable. However just the blue buttons on your other keys on the system it came from it could possibly be activated via the Fn[function] key + 5

Tried the Fn key and nothing.

What's printed on the button has little effect on how Windows handles it. Try to see what other US keyboard layouts are available in Windows and try some out!

Its a possibility I also thought about

yeah right Alt (Alt GR)+ 5 or Alt Gr+ e

Right alt+5=Windows' sound "Error Beep"

Just (Alt + 8364) and be done with it :p

Yes, it is easier typing in that on a keyboard without a numeric pad which I would have to turn on the numeric lock and press the Fn key at the same time.

:rolleyes:

Yes, it is easier typing in that on a keyboard without a numeric pad which I would have to turn on the numeric lock and press the Fn key at the same time.

:rolleyes:

You don't. Press the Fn (function) key, then the Alt key, then the numerical code.

Also on the side note people here are trying to help you, so " :rolleyes: " isn't a way to go about getting help.

You don't. Press the Fn (function) key, then the Alt key, then the numerical code.

Also on the side note people here are trying to help you, so " :rolleyes: " isn't a way to go about getting help.

Alt + 8364

Thats 5 keys to type one letter.

So his suggestion isnt disrespectful towards me? His attitude was offensive as I was trying to find a natural way to do it.

On my UK Microsoft keyboard the Euro is in the same position, but on the 4 key. It can be typed by holding Ctrl + Alt while pressing the key.

?

This works too.

I switched to "United States International" (and it works) but it seems like there is a small glitch (which bothers me): I press the " key (shift+') and there is a delay such as that I have to press another key on the keyboard to make it appear. From what I see, it only happens with that key.

Fix?

I switched to "United States International" (and it works) but it seems like there is a small glitch (which bothers me): I press the " key (shift+') and there is a delay such as that I have to press another key on the keyboard to make it appear. From what I see, it only happens with that key.

Fix?

If you have to type that character a lot then why don't you copy that character and paste it as you need. Just a suggestion I don't know what you're trying to do with that particular character, since you didn't have that before and you were doing fine.

Fix?

I was going to tell you that you needed to change the keyboard type to access that key.

The pause that happens after the quotes key is that the keyboard is waiting to see if you type a vowel after it. If you do then it will put an umlaut over it. If not it will just show the quotes then the letter. There is no "fix" if you are using the US International keyboard because that's how it's supposed to work. You will see the same behavior with the ' key and ~ key.

• Like 2

I was going to tell you that you needed to change the keyboard type to access that key.

The pause that happens after the quotes key is that the keyboard is waiting to see if you type a vowel after it. If you do then it will put an umlaut over it. If not it will just show the quotes then the letter. There is no "fix" if you are using the US International keyboard because that's how it's supposed to work. You will see the same behavior with the ' key and ~ key.

Understood. Well I guess that Euro symbol will mean nothing to me.

Thanks for the explaination.

Stupid question but isnt it usually on the 4 key? And the right alt key is "alt gr" in the uk which iirc is short for alternate graphic.

I have it on the E key but it's weird, I can do right alt+right ctrl+ E in mIRC and it gets it. If I try it here in IE9 it doesn't since the alt key is ued to show/hide the menu bar. Doing alt+0128 works though but there should be another way to quickly do it. Besides I'll forget that key code at some point.