12 or 24 Hour Time?

194 members have voted

1. 1. Do you see 12 hour time or 24 hour time?

• 12 hour time
    • 24 hour time
  2. 2. Do you use 12 hour time or 24 hour time?

• 12 hour time
    • 24 hour time

I use the 24 hour as it prevents confusion, at least for myself. All my things are set to 24. However, if I say "I'll meet you at 16:30" I usually get funny looks, so I'll speak in 12hr for the benefit of others :D

I generally use 12hr only because it's preconfigured for anything "US" so i stick to it. I can read/use 24hr just fine and I do sometimes when talking to friends abroad anyways. How come the US still hasn't switched to Metric also? In Jamaica they started in 1993 or so and they just showed both temps then the farenheit just kept getting smaller and smaller till it was eventually removed (prolly 1-1.5yrs later).

MARINE here, def use 24hr timing lol

12. 24 can go to hell. Im not military.

sheesh whats so wrong with the military? lol

After living in Europe for 6 years I much prefer 24hr now. No need to worry about that am/pm crap, as you know exactly what time it is without any clarification. Any clock I can switch to 24hrs I do (which is pretty much everything other than my alarm clock/stove clock).

24h! :)

My phone, computer, clock, etc. is set to 24 hour, also public clocks, TV, radio, newspaper, billboards use 24h format.

When i'm talking, i'm using 12h format almost all the time. But there are situation when i'm using 24h format, mostly for some events.

When i'm writing sms, email, IM, note... i'm using 24h format all the time.

24-hour time seems like it would be weird to use in conversation, especially when the time of day is implied by other context.

For example:

"Want to go out for dinner at 9?"

Obviously PM is implied here. How would you say that with 24 hour time? "Want to go out for dinner at 21?" "Want to go out for dinner at twenty-one-hundred?"

Maybe it's just because I'm not used to it, but it seems awkward.

I very rarely run into confusion with 12 hour times, mostly it happens when I accidentally set an alarm wrong. I generally don't make lunch appointments for 2am, nor do I have meetings at 11pm. I never look at a clock that says 8:00 and wonder whether it's morning or night, that would require some serious disorientation.

• 2 weeks later...

I only use 12 hour time on analogue clocks.

I choose 24 hour time... though I prefer 28 hour days... 24 hours is just too short. :wacko:

How would you say that with 24 hour time? "Want to go out for dinner at 21?" "Want to go out for dinner at twenty-one-hundred?"

In Poland, we're using both 24hr and 12hr systems; it just depends on situation. In colloquial language, there's nothing strange when someone asks you for dinner at 21 - "kolacja o dwudziestej pierwszej", (Usually we're using only numeral - the twenty-first, without word that points on hour. There's no am or pm symbols nor anything similar) or 9 night - "kolacja o dziewi?tej wiecz?r" (this sounds a little bit more official by the way).

Anyway, I always have problem with am and pm, so 24hr format is just perfect for me.

• 2 weeks later...

24h, no confusion and everybody in Europe here is using it (except the GB, but they always do things different :p )

• 2 weeks later...

I would say twenty-four hour time because that is how many hours are in a day..

F'in hate using that 12 crap