Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (2011)

Nice, I seriously had NO CLUE it was out.

Knew it was coming out, just did not realize so soon.

Sounds great so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big Foo Fighters fan, but I have to say I am slightly disappointed with this album.

The songs are great, but there isn't any particular stand-out tracks. In fact the whole album sounds like each track could be released as a radio-friendly single. Have they lost their edge? I'll stop short of saying "corporate sell-out", but there seems to be something very Manic Street Preachers/Stereophonics about it.

The production bothers me as well. It oozes Pro Tools. It's clinical, and I swear I could put some tracks into Audacity and the waveforms for the choruses would be identical. It feels too "sampled and looped". I don't like it. Live, I'm sure it would rock (they are one the greatest bands I've seen live), but my enjoyment pf the album is sullied by how "clean" it sounds.

Maybe I should listen to it a few more times. Is it a grower? Hopefully, and maybe I was expecting something more and I'm being harsh. We'll see...

All imho of course :)

I'm a big Foo Fighters fan, but I have to say I am slightly disappointed with this album.

The songs are great, but there isn't any particular stand-out tracks. In fact the whole album sounds like each track could be released as a radio-friendly single. Have they lost their edge? I'll stop short of saying "corporate sell-out", but there seems to be something very Manic Street Preachers/Stereophonics about it.

The production bothers me as well. It oozes Pro Tools. It's clinical, and I swear I could put some tracks into Audacity and the waveforms for the choruses would be identical. It feels too "sampled and looped". I don't like it. Live, I'm sure it would rock (they are one the greatest bands I've seen live), but my enjoyment pf the album is sullied by how "clean" it sounds.

Maybe I should listen to it a few more times. Is it a grower? Hopefully, and maybe I was expecting something more and I'm being harsh. We'll see...

All imho of course :)

Funnily enough, it was recorded entirely on tape, no computers used at all during the recording or production of it. ;)

Anyway, absolutely love the album, been listening to it all week. Fun to find a bit of the master tape in the CD (well, technically it was in the booklet) when I got it. Nice surprise.

So many live performances of it about too, the webcast on Letterman on the 12th, and the Studio 606 on the Foo Fighters YouTube. Brilliant. :)