• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Buy WP7 phone now or wait? Nokia?

jakem1    1,610

They already stated "why", the have no faith in WP7 and MS clearly failed to to generate a clear reason why they should feel any different. The more glaring issue is the lack of proper connectivity to Skydrive, along with a proper first party Messenger client. MS would have been much wiser making sure the core experience was better and launching six months later, turns out launch/holiday sales were flat anyway so all launching early did was deliver another black eye. Taken as individual pieces the missing parts of WP7 and it's surroundings don't seem bad, but put them all together and this phone OS is missing stuff others have had for years. The OS even lacks unified search within your own handset? Outside of a unique home screen and Xbox Live connectivity, at this point, Windows Phone 7 is an "also ran" phone OS and on it's way to footnote status.

Sorry but that's ridiculous. Developer support for WP7 is through the roof, the marketplace is growing faster than for any competing platform and most analysts agree that the future is bright for Microsoft. It's a young platform and there are things missing but when compared to every other platform it's well ahead for this stage in its life and Microsoft are continuing to add features. Most of your complaints are petty and out of date.

BajiRav    2,137

They already stated "why", the have no faith in WP7 and MS clearly failed to to generate a clear reason why they should feel any different. The more glaring issue is the lack of proper connectivity to Skydrive, along with a proper first party Messenger client. MS would have been much wiser making sure the core experience was better and launching six months later, turns out launch/holiday sales were flat anyway so all launching early did was deliver another black eye. Taken as individual pieces the missing parts of WP7 and it's surroundings don't seem bad, but put them all together and this phone OS is missing stuff others have had for years. The OS even lacks unified search within your own handset? Outside of a unique home screen and Xbox Live connectivity, at this point, Windows Phone 7 is an "also ran" phone OS and on it's way to footnote status.

I think they said that lack of unified search is by design? similar to (lack of) unified mailbox or the weird camera setting reset thing. I don't necessarily agree with them (well except for camera settings may be) but I don't care for unified mailbox (have only three accounts and prefer them separate) or search (haven't really needed yet). I probably used unified search in iOS may be once? whereas I hate that the video camera resets back to VGA res. every time or the flash settings. They are still saying it is not likely to change.

You probably need all of the above but my point is, at this point WP7 simly doesn't feel your need but it might serve OP's requirements and hence making blanket statements like what you are saying above is simply wrong.

Although I agree that WP7 is lacking some things compared to competition and there is no denying that.

p.s. In reference to your reply to my last post - I am not exactly supporting "my platform" but more of being fair to WP7.

Osiris    823

The platform was never going to ship with everything everyone wanted.

Hell the original iphone was pretty damn far from being the godphone, thing lacked hardware and features that were standard on WinMo devices for years.

Dont get me wrong I agree MS should be doing more, a better update process, a proper messenger app (your own damn service ffs), c&p, dropbox etc. All valid points but at the end of the day they had the start somewhere thus far I have enjoyed my experience with gen one WP better than I did the original iphone and the HTC desire for android. Things are getting better but the reality is at this stage there may be certain things that just cant be done at the moment and thus it might not suit your needs. Doesnt make the platform bust, just takes time to evolve. A collegaue of mine quite liked his Omnia 7 but the lack of RDP apps was a bust for him, he doesnt hate the platform just cant fit his needs at this time.

Digitalx    17

I'd say wait till nokias options are on the table.

George P    5,535

The lack of a official messanger client is because they might have plans to add support for it into the people hub where facebook and soon twitter will be. MS is going to be the one who extends the hubs and what they support the most so not doing so by writing a stand alone app doesn't help their case for hubs. In the end I expect a app as well for the more advanced options you can do, but the basic stuff, like seeing who's on and sending them messages can work through the People hub as well.

This is what I'm expecting.

Subject Delta    108

I'd wait till the software matures a bit if I were you

alexalex    75

The point is that there are dropbox clients, thus a official one can be made by dropbox itself, how about asking them why they haven't done so yet?

Why invest time and money on an application for a device that doesn't sell ?

jakem1    1,610

Why invest time and money on an application for a device that doesn't sell ?

Why troll a thread for a phone OS you're not interested in when you don't understand how to correctly use punctuation?

lalalawawawa    59

Why troll a thread for a phone OS you're not interested in when you don't understand how to correctly use punctuation?

:laugh: so true!

nowimnothing    18

If you need a new phone now, then go ahead and get the WP7 device you want. I got the Samsung Focus (switching from the iPhone 4) and I couldn't be happier.

If you don't need a new phone yet, then hold off until the next round of phones come out.

~Johnny    397

If you do go with a Windows Phone 7 device, in Europe at least, then I'd recommended either the LG Optimus 7 or the HTC Mozart - the two best looking / feeling devices out of the entire range that I've tried, and the two with the best overall battery lives. Mozart really is gorgeous in hand, a tad more than the Optimus 7, though that has the advantage of real buttons over capacitive touch buttons (you'll learn to hate them).

You probably won't see the frist fruits of the Nokia & Microsoft deal until early 2012, so you'd be waiting nearly a year. Might as well just jump on now, enjoy the benefits and then upgrade later.