The Ribbon UI comes to Windows 8

win8_ribbon_01.jpg

In Windows 8, the Windows Explorer shell sports a new Ribbon UI.

(Note: Obviously, all of the Ribbon icons shown here are placeholders. These are early days.)

Read article here: http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/04/02/windows-8-secrets-windows-explorer-ribbon/

Here's the ribbon minimized

win8m23hiddenribbon.jpg

Source: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/Windows-8-Secrets-Windows-Explorer-Ribbon.aspx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I hope they don't do this (or keep with the option to disable it). Windows Explorer is one of those places that doesn't suit the Ribbon UI.

I'm a fan of the ribbon, but it really isn't necessary in explorer. It's great in Office where you have lots of buttons to fit in one toolbar. In explorer you are just wasting space.

If they go through with it I hope they can reduce the vertical height a wee bit.

Its gonna suck - why do you need all those options on the top of a window full of folders / files ? When right click has everything you need except a few options you can catch from the menu bar

Bad move MS unless somehow it is going to make sense with the rest of the UI, but seeing it on its own does not look like a good move

That can't be real.. can it? It's just so counterintuitive. Nobody needs all the options on the screen at once... Hide them away.. in.. yanno.. a menu.

.. A hidden menu, that you can access with the alt key. :blush:

I'm a fan of the ribbon, but it really isn't necessary in explorer. It's great in Office where you have lots of buttons to fit in one toolbar. In explorer you are just wasting space.

If they go through with it I hope they can reduce the vertical height a wee bit.

My exact thoughts!

Btw .. how is that Microsoft hasn't told Rafael R. and Paul T. to not leak any Windows 8 related information?. I'm asking because of this https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-forcing-closure-of-many-windows-8-based-sites-and-twitter-feeds

They need to fix Ribbon if they are going to use it for navigating through your system. That looks so cluttered that it's not a simple user experience that Windows have started to adopt (following the Metro design). I think this is a VERY early integration, and that it should look more seamless to the UI. It also makes my eyes bleed, but I know it's not finalised, so there's no need to worry ;___;

I hope they don't do this (or keep with the option to disable it). Windows Explorer is one of those places that doesn't suit the Ribbon UI.

Ditto this.. I do like the ribbon interface when a desktop app warrants it and not just thrown in just because they could. Some apps just shouldn't have one, and the file Explorer is definitely one of those. Personal preference of course. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an option to enable/disable this functionality.

Same placeholders as when put into Notepad during the dev of WLE.

Not entirely sure if I like this. To be honest, explorer is perfect as is, if the Ribbon is added this may give me incentive to give OS X a go.

Way too busy and top-heavy. They need to simplify it... oh wait, there's the Folderband that we already have. It has some space left for other controls, so I hope they stick with the current Folderband or improve on it.

I kinda like it. not digging the orange O's though.... LOL.

In the current pre-release builds we?ve seen, the Ribbon is a serious work in progress and is quite unattractive. It?s unclear whether Microsoft intends to move forward with this UI as-is, or whether it will appear only in certain UI types. Based on what we?re seeing, however, it does seem that there will at least be a toggle to disable this top-heavy UI. So if you don?t like the Ribbon in Windows Explorer, hopefully you?ll be able to turn it off.

SO what are they wanting us to do? Click on a folder, then go up to the ribbon bar and press copy, then open another folder, click on an empty space, then go back up to the ribbon bar and press paste ? ....ummm

I hope this isn't true or it can be disabled because ribbon does not work with explorer at all its ugly and takes up to much space. Its great in office though.

I'm calling shenanigans on this. It looks like ass, it's totally unintuitive, and I really can't see them choosing a ribbon bar over a tabbed interface (please god, please let us have a tabbed interface). It also takes up too much vertical space, which is valuable in FSMs.

you guys know that all ribbon ui is collapsible right? you can make any toolbar slim in office/paint/wordpad/nitropdf

ribbon has all the option in front of you when you need it and can be hidden when its not needed

I'm calling fake - what's been leaked so far about Windows 8 does not suggest that Microsoft will add the ribbon to explorer.

How about we quit moving the arrangement of icons around and actually start adding new functions to Explorer?

With an OS as developed as Windows why am i still unable to add some kind of tag to any file or folder I choose and categorise files and folders in a more detailed manner than i could with XP?

Why am I forced to stick to basic rules that are there for new users and parents?

I don't care if its a ribbon or a basic file menu, I don't buy an OS for a prettier UI, I buy it because it adds an improves on functionality.

I honestly believe that if you give people features they don't have then they upgrade, if you only make the button they currently use more shiny then they can afford to pass.