How to Switch from IDE to AHCI without repairing/reinstalling windows

+warwagon

About 2 months ago I installed an SSD drive in my media center. For some reason up until tonight I never checked what the Sata mode was set to in the bios. It was set to IDE. I also really wasn't keen in reinstalling windows. Of course once you change it in the bios from IDE to AHCI windows will no longer boot. So I looked around the internet and found some really great instruction to switch from IDE to AHCI without having to repair or reinstall windows.

You start with step 1 while you are still in windows in IDE mode.

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)

4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide

5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)

6) Shut down

7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.

• Like 4
The Laughing Man

I had done this not more than 5 days ago with my new rig. Installed Windows 7 and forgot to change the setting , Just a simple search helped. I can confirm this method works !

ironsight2000

mine freezes at post

+warwagon

mine freezes at post

You've got other problems than windows.

ironsight2000

I got back up but had to go back to IDE

humble3d

Thank you very much... I was really stumped... :)

-T-

I did it in my BIOS didn't need to change anything in Windows. Is my install stupified?

Shaun N.

Mine meows at me on startup?

neo158

I had to do this with my install as the new mobo had AHCI enabled by default.

Also, this trick only works on Windows Vista/7.

Microsoft have a Fix-It for this, it's linked in my sig.

+warwagon

I had to do this with my install as the new mobo had AHCI enabled by default.

Also, this trick only works on Windows Vista/7.

Microsoft have a Fix-It for this, it's linked in my sig.

Thanks for the head up. Title edited

Draconian Guppy

Is there any real world benefit for using AHCI instead of IDE if i'm not running raid?

+warwagon

Is there any real world benefit for using AHCI instead of IDE if i'm not running raid?

Apparently AHCI gives you much better performance when using SSD drives (but don't quote me on that)

Draconian Guppy

checked neo158's sig and came up with:

AHCI provides several features for SATA devices. These include hot plug functionality and power management functionality. For more information about the AHCI specification, visit the following Intel Web site:

http://www.intel.com/technology/serialata/ahci.htm

No really worth it I guess, at least not for HDDs not paired in any raid.

Nagisan

Msahci is already set to 3 and pciide is already set to 0, I assume this is running in AHCI mode already, right?

Raa

Always use AHCI if possible.

Been doing a similar method to this for XP computers for years.

iron2000

Msahci is already set to 3 and pciide is already set to 0, I assume this is running in AHCI mode already, right?

Maybe you can check in Device Manager under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers", if you're on AHCI there should be an AHCI controller under it.

To add on, if you don't like your internal drives showing up in "safely remove hardware" in the task tray - heres a tweak:

http://www.overclock.net/raid-controllers-software/974023-fix-ahci-sata-drives-showing-safely.html

----

Just tried AHCI on my P5K SE yesterday.

Had to flash a modded BIOS to unlock it.

Found the HDD connected to the first and second to SATA ports on the mb stuck at Multi-word DMA mode 2 (read from Device Manager).

Disk Management was also not working, it keeps on loading for a long time with a blank window.

In the end switched back to good old IDE where all drives are at UDMA mode 5 (though according to HDtune, my drives are capable of more.)

But everything works.

kinetix63

Yes... provided you've got a hard drive that supports it (and most SATA-II drives do), AHCI enables Native Command Queuing on the drive, which can increase drive life and make things a bit faster. Of course, this doesn't really apply to SSD's, but for standard drives it's a big benefit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_command_queuing

• 1 month later...
MFH

This trick won't work with a NT5-OS right?

cybertimber2008

Will have to give this a shot.

What's the Linux support like?

Edit: Wikipedia says it's native.

• 4 months later...
kevpc

hi all. would like some advice before i try the guide, if possible.

just got a new, overclocked system. mobo is Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, running an i5 2500k o/c to 4.6gHz, 8gig DDR3 1600mhz Ram, nVidia GTX 550TI 1 Meg graphics card, WD Black Caviar 500gig sata lll hdd connected to sata lll on mobo. SATA ll Pioneer DVD Burner on a SATA ll connector and Pioner Sata BluRay burner on SATA ll connector,

i didn't check before i installed win7 ultimate x64 whether mobo was set to IDE or AHCI. found afterwards that there are 3 settings that are on IDE. these are:

PCH SATA Control Mode, GSATA3 Ctrl Mode and eSATA3 Ctrl Mode

to prevent reinstalling windows and programs, what i would like to know is,

can i change to AHCI in Bios after using the Reg Change above?

will i have to change all the 3 IDE settings used atm to AHCI, if not what one(s) do i change?

will i have to install the Intel AHCI drivers afterwards and perhaps other drivers as well? if so, which ones?

will it kick out my o/c?

anything else i need to know or will have to do?

hope someone can advise.

many TIA

kevpc

anyone able to offer me advice to the questions above, please?

TheLegendOfMart

1) Thats the only way to do it, you cant change to AHCI in the bios before you do the reg change or Windows will fail to boot

2) Yes change them all to AHCI

3) If you already have Intel drivers installed I think the drivers should already be cached so once it detects AHCI it should already have the drivers

4) No your o/c is fine

5) Nothing else to know

Steven P.

I did the same steps from this guide and afaik the drivers were automatically installed on booting to Windows.

kevpc

many tnx for replies, guys. one more question, if you dont mind. forgot to ask this with other questions. if i change the registry as instructed but dont then change in the bios but leave it at IDE, will that have any adverse affects? did try to install the Intel AHCI, but was told 'this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software', so assume no AHCI drivers installed at all atm?

tnx again for help

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      How to refund games on Steam
      by Usama Jawad

Holiday sales across gaming platforms on PC and consoles are in full swing and many gamers are using their savings to capitalize on this by buying their favorite titles at discounted prices. While you would hope that once you purchase a game, you can quickly download it, fire it up, and play it without any issues, but sometimes things can go a bit awry.

The game might not be in a playable state, have too many bugs, or simply might not be as fun as you expected it to be. There's also the chance that when buying dozens of games during the sale, you skimmed over the technical requirements section and didn't notice that your rig isn't powerful enough to run the game optimally. In cases like these, the easiest way out is to quickly get a refund. In this piece, I will walk you through the refund process on Steam.

Step 1: Navigate the Steam client
      Valve's own FAQ for the refund process requires you to login to their support webpage but quite frankly, I find that method cumbersome. Why not use the Steam client itself when you have it installed on your PC? Of course, if you don't have it installed, then it's understandable to visit the website. However, for the purpose of this article, I will assume that you do have it installed to make the process more streamlined.

Now that you have fired up the Steam client, find the game you want to refund in the left panel and click on it. This will open a dedicated section for the problematic game on your screen. Click the "Support" button on the main options bar for the title. This will take you to a new support page and the second step of this process.

Step 2: Filling in the details
      On the Support page, the Steam client will show you a list of options that you can choose from to indicate what kind of problem you are having with the game in question, as shown above. With respect to requesting refunds, only the following options are valid:

It's now available cheaper Gameplay or technical issue It's not what I expected For other options, Steam informs you that it can't help out and requests you to get in touch with relevant parties such as key sellers and developers.

Clicking on any of the three valid options mentioned earlier takes you to a submenu asking you further questions. For the purpose of this guide, I clicked on "Gameplay or technical issue", which took me to the submenu shown above. Here I clicked on "The game runs poorly".

This took to me to another page providing me a couple of options as can be seen above. Depending upon the prior options you selected, you might see different alternatives on this page. Here, Valve typically recommends you some options to resolve problems with your game such as getting in touch with the game's developer. However, you can choose to forego all the other options and directly click on "I'd like to request a refund".

Step 3: Requesting a refund
      Selecting "I'd like to request a refund" will take you to the final page which will require input from your side. Knowing the details of this step is important. Valve typically issues refunds only for games that have less than two hours of playtime and have been purchased less than 14 days ago. If you do not fulfill these qualifications, Valve may still offer you a refund, but the chances of that happening are very slim. Personally, I have tried this a couple of times with detailed reasoning, but Valve has never issued a refund to me on games that have more than two hours of play time or were purchased more than 14 days ago.

Speaking of "detailed reasoning", the "Notes" section is where you can fill that in. However, I've found that a one-line explainer like "it's not that good" works as well. Furthermore, you can choose where the refund amount will go: it can either go to the original payment method or your Steam Wallet. If you plan to spend it on Steam again, I highly recommend going for the second option since it doesn't involve other parties and is much quicker.

Furthermore, another thing to remember is that games you got via promotional keys - such as those offered by the developer - cannot be refunded. The refund amount depends upon the price you purchased a title at, not it's current value. Lastly, you can refund games that you received as a gift but the monetary value will be returned to the person who gifted you those titles, not to your account. If you're fine with all of these things, click on "Submit request".

Step 4: The wait
      Now all you have to do is wait for Valve to approve your refund request. Provided that you fulfill all of their requirements related to playtime and ownership, refunds are usually granted by the company. In my case, I've noticed that these requests are generally approved within a couple of hours.

Valve says that it may take up to seven days for funds to appear on your account, but for Steam Wallet funds, it only takes a couple of days at maximum in my personal experience. For international payment methods which involve your bank, this process may take more than seven days. In case it does, Valve recommends that you reach out to your bank and inquire details from them.

Provided that everything goes smoothly, your refund request will be approved and completed within a couple of days. However, if for someone reason, your request gets declined and you want to contest that decision, Valve suggests that you issue a new request so another agent can have a look at it.

Last but not the least, Valve does not limit the number of refund requests you make but if it thinks that you're abusing the option, it may place restrictions on your account. In my case, I once bought nearly 15 games and then had a few of them refunded as I played them one by one and realized that I didn't enjoy all of them. At that time, Valve did caution me via email to use the refund option carefully based on the high number of requests coming from my account.

With that said, use this option wisely and happy gaming!

• By News Staff
      Gmail - Quick Reference Guide - Free download
      by Steven Parker

Claim your Free Tips and Tricks Guide today, before this offer expires.

This Gmail reference provides shortcuts, tips, and tricks for this popular email provider.

Use this reference to brush up on the basics and to find alternative methods to your favorite commands. This printable quick reference is yours to use, distribute, and share at your organization!

Along with this free reference card, you will also receive more information from CustomGuide regarding their innovative interactive training and learning solutions to help improve the software skills of you and your staff for success in today's workplace.

How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

>> Gmail - Quick Reference Guide - Free download <<
      Offered by CustomGuide, view other free resources. Limited time offer.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By News Staff
      Zoom - Quick Reference Guide
      by Steven Parker

Claim your Free Tips and Tricks Guide today, before this offer expires.

This Zoom Reference provides shortcuts, tips, and tricks for the popular video conferencing software.

Use this reference to brush up on the basics and to find alternative methods to your favorite commands. This printable quick reference is yours to use, distribute, and share at your organization!

Along with this free reference card, you will also receive more information from CustomGuide regarding their innovative interactive training and learning solutions to help improve the software skills of you and your staff for success in today's workplace.

How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

>> Zoom - Quick Reference Guide - Free download <<
      Offered by CustomGuide, view other free resources. Limited time offer.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2-year plan 68% off +3 months for free (total of 27 months) Private Internet Access VPN - 3 year plan at 86% off ($2.19/month) Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By News Staff
      Microsoft Word 2019 -- Free Reference Card Kit
      by Steven Parker

Claim your free reference guide today, before this offer expires.

What's it about?
      This Microsoft Word 2019 reference kits includes 3 individual reference cards providing shortcuts, tips, and tricks for the most popular office program in the world.

Use the reference cards to brush up on the basics and/or find alternative methods to your favorite commands. Each reference card is designed to be printable and are yours to use, distribute, and share at your organization!

The 3 Reference Cards Included in this eKit:

Microsoft Word 2019 Basic Microsoft Word 2019 Intermediate Microsoft Word 2019 Advanced How to get it

>> Microsoft Word 2019 -- Free Reference Card Kit <<
      Offered by CustomGuide, view other free resources | Limited time offer

Not for you?

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $0.99 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

• By News Staff
      Microsoft Outlook 2019 -- Free Reference Card Kit
      by Steven Parker

Claim your free reference guide today, before this offer expires.

What's it about?
      This Microsoft Outlook 2019 reference kits includes 2 individual reference cards providing shortcuts, tips, and tricks for one of the most popular office email systems in the world.

Use the reference cards to brush up on the basics and/or find alternative methods to your favorite commands.

Each reference card is designed to be printable and are yours to use, distribute, and share at your organization!

The 2 Reference Cards Included in this eKit:

Microsoft Outlook 2019 Basic Microsoft Outlook 2019 Intermediate How to get it

>> Microsoft Outlook 2019 -- Free Reference Card Kit <<
      Offered by CustomGuide, view other free resources | Limited time offer

Not for you?

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 68% off for a 2 year plan Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store