Fantastic -- now Anonymous is getting involved the PS3 hacking

They're aren't typically hardware hackers, they generally do DDoS attacks. Do that on the PSN servers in order to attack Sony, and you **** up my online experience, including ability to watch Netflix, which requires you to be logged into the PSN.

I wonder why they do those stuffs. If it lags, more people will blame their ISP why so lag instead of Sony...

I wanna see them try on google.com

I will be amazed if they can bring it down :x

I still supports why Sony doing. GeoHot is in the wrong. I don't wish to see PS3 become like PSP. PSP game development is dropping badly. Especially in 2009 and 2010. But I think Sony could have give GeoHot a chance first. Threaten him first. If he ignores, then sue him.

Sony are just paying the price I ended up expecting them to for their obsessive litigation. If anyone honestly expected the hacking community to just let this lie, they were a fool IMO

+1

Here's how I view the situation.

Geohot really was able to due to much, but made some in roads on the PS3. Sony over reacted and yanked the feature.

This in turned had the effect of smashing a hornet's nest with the hackers. I do believe if sony spent the resources to fix the issue vs yank linux, there won't of been this effort to hack the PS3 like it became.

Sony then starts all out legal offensive, overreaching in to "we have no right to use the hardware we buy in any other way then the manufacture specified" which has serious ramifications outside of game console.

From what I understand Anon is a very lose group, that unless the majority agree to one action, then they act, if not, doesn't happen.

So they have a large collective group of varying skill people now targeting the PS3. The think with Anon is instead of targeting the ability to re-install home brew or linux (with game copy as a side effect), Anon may be full out for complete open, game copying + other hacks.

Here's how I view the situation.

Geohot really was able to due to much, but made some in roads on the PS3. Sony over reacted and yanked the feature.

This in turned had the effect of smashing a hornet's nest with the hackers. I do believe if sony spent the resources to fix the issue vs yank linux, there won't of been this effort to hack the PS3 like it became.

Sony then starts all out legal offensive, overreaching in to "we have no right to use the hardware we buy in any other way then the manufacture specified" which has serious ramifications outside of game console.

From what I understand Anon is a very lose group, that unless the majority agree to one action, then they act, if not, doesn't happen.

So they have a large collective group of varying skill people now targeting the PS3. The think with Anon is instead of targeting the ability to re-install home brew or linux (with game copy as a side effect), Anon may be full out for complete open, game copying + other hacks.

Typically with consoles, if you break one thing, you break all or most of it. Getting the ability to install Linux/OtherOS will more than likely give you the ability to run any unsigned code. This is what Sony is trying to prevent. Had the hackers not messed with OtherOS in the first place to try and run unsigned code, we would still have it and none of this would be happening. But they wanted more. Essentially, they kind of killed the homebrew scene that was already there. Before, if you wanted homebrew, you loaded OtherOS.

Im not one for Sony products not after the Lik-sang stuff, but come on. Like how they added that bit about the penis. Really grown up, Im sure Sony took one look at that and **** themselves.

Typically with consoles, if you break one thing, you break all or most of it. Getting the ability to install Linux/OtherOS will more than likely give you the ability to run any unsigned code. This is what Sony is trying to prevent. Had the hackers not messed with OtherOS in the first place to try and run unsigned code, we would still have it and none of this would be happening. But they wanted more. Essentially, they kind of killed the homebrew scene that was already there. Before, if you wanted homebrew, you loaded OtherOS.

You give an arm, they take a leg. But you'll never ever ever get the hacking community to admit they essentially took their own rights to Linux away by not being able to administer moderation and morality, but instead steam ahead with trying to cripple Sony's main OS security through Linux. OtherOS was running along fine on the PS3 until somebody decided, **** this, I want to get access to Sony's security system and blow it wide open because I can do whatever I want. Sony are expected to bend over to this notion of course, as any resistance to protecting their security system is seen as "pain in the arse firmware updates" or "the man chasing after innocent people" or "lololol crybabies piracy isn't stealing".

If we've been taught anything this generation it is you simply cannot cater for the homebrew community without them taking things too far and trying to get more than they're allowed. When they get told they're not allowed something they cry like babies and react like spoiled children, hence this topic and two now famous hackers behaving like they own the world and deserve all your money for support. No one is allowed to challenge them, everything is freedom of speech and within their rights, etc, etc.

The homebrewers/hackers basically act like fat ******** at a buffet. They eat everything they want and they don't care about the other customers there, all that matters is they feed their own hunger at any expense.

And at the end of the day this is all over a Playstation 3.... Plastic, metal and bolts sold to a majority of consumers interested in playing video games.

What are these guys going to do? Help smuggle geohot out of the country?

Nope, they are just going to take down the services of the people they claim to be doing this for. Really childish, ignorant, and just plain stupid. I hope Sony says something like, " Ha, we had rootkits in all your computers hidden, and now we know who did every DDOS attack on us. Expect to hear from us soon children." or at least something along that line. Anon is just stupid at the moment. They need to get out into the real world a little more and off their computers.

I generally support Anon but why are they going after Sony ? I can get them with going after Scientology, Paypal, Mastercard etc but Sony are just a gaming company who are going after one hacker who can cause billions in damage to sony and degrade everyone's experience like what happened on the PSP.

I generally support Anon but why are they going after Sony ? I can get them with going after Scientology, Paypal, Mastercard etc but Sony are just a gaming company who are going after one hacker who can cause billions in damage to sony and degrade everyone's experience like what happened on the PSP.

from their note, it sounds like anon is very misinformed about what sony is actually doing.

from their note, it sounds like anon is very misinformed about what sony is actually doing.

yeah just like i said they're mostly fat jobless losers who know nothing of the real world just the one they made on the internet.

Billions in damage? REally? There are like 1000 people who hacked their PS3 and of them maybe half pirated a couple PS3 games.

Reality check?

PS3News is one forum, deals quite a lot with the hombrew/hacking news, right now it has 10469 users online - http://www.ps3news.com/forums/

Piratebay PS3 torrents - http://thepiratexxx.org/search/PS3/0/7/400 *replace xxx with bay, I'm sure it's not against the rules to link, but just in case.

Don't throw about statistics you don't know much about. It's not as if I'm any better an analysist than you, but plucking two PUBLIC websites out of a sea of public/private ones with such figures says otherwise to the stats you posted.

Sony are expected to bend over to this notion of course, as any resistance to protecting their security system is seen as "pain in the arse firmware updates" or "the man chasing after innocent people" or "lololol crybabies piracy isn't stealing".

Sony had the option to fix the exploit and still leave OtherOS functionality intact, but they just chose to use the cheap option and remove the functionality.

Reality check?

PS3News is one forum, deals quite a lot with the hombrew/hacking news, right now it has 10469 users online - http://www.ps3news.com/forums/

Piratebay PS3 torrents - http://thepiratexxx.org/search/PS3/0/7/400 *replace xxx with bay, I'm sure it's not against the rules to link, but just in case.

Don't throw about statistics you don't know much about. It's not as if I'm any better an analysist than you, but plucking two PUBLIC websites out of a sea of public/private ones with such figures says otherwise to the stats you posted.

Reality check: It's the games studios that lose most of the money from game piracy, not Sony.

Sony had the option to fix the exploit and still leave OtherOS functionality intact, but they just chose to use the cheap option and remove the functionality.

Reality check: It's the games studios that lose most of the money from game piracy, not Sony.

You know this because you are a Sony engineer/your partner/close friend is? How do you know there was no easy way to fix? Geohot's own words

As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet. The theory isn't really patchable, but they can make implementations much harder. Also, for obvious reasons I can't post dumps. I'm hoping to find the decryption keys and post them, but they may be embedded in hardware. Hopefully keys are setup like the iPhone's KBAG.

Oh also, you've made it clear you don't have a PS3 (we already know this, just pointing it out again), nor know much about it... Reality check: Sony have 1st party studios who make games.

and if Sony aren't seen to be doing anything about the cracks then they'll lose custom from devs cause they don't want to risk losing that money.

Oh also, you've made it clear you don't have a PS3 (we already know this, just pointing it out again), nor know much about it... Reality check: Sony have 1st party studios who make games.

Oh so the fact that I don't own a PS3 doesn't mean I can't acquire knowledge from other places? Well at least Sony shills have a sense of humour. And yes, I know Sony make games, but the point is still valid, the figure of a billion dollars is something sony shills are just pulling from their nether regions to further justify their hatred for the hackers. It has no grounding in fact at all.

Didn't Geohotz himself say the exploit would be near impossible to close...?

This may come as a shock to you, but Sony doesn't get a hard-on by withdrawing features like OtherOS. I guarantee it came after deliberation and consultation with various engineers at Sony. It was egg on their face and probably one of the last resort options they had.

Like any successful company, Sony sometimes has to make hard decisions and it decided that closing off OtherOS was, at the time, probably the best way to slow down or stop the hacking. With 20/20 hindsight, we see that they weren't right, but that's with hindsight.

Sorry for being a wet-blanket on your Sony hate-fest. I'm sure you won't take anything I say to heart and continue with your logic that Sony hates consumers and loves to screw them over. :whistle:

Sony's royalties on each disc aren't cheap you know .... they do make a lot of cash. But I think you'll find the most money lost is the Publisher's money.