How to clear my wireless router's memory

So I've seen wireless routers periodically stop working, and the wireless connections would cease to have internet access, and it looks like the solution has always been the same - pull the plug and reboot the router.

From talking to some folks, I believe the issue has something to do with a memory buffer in these routers filling up.

Does anybody know how to clear this memory or do a soft reset without pulling the plug?

A reboot is a reboot, whether pulling the plug or software reboot. I think leedogg is trying to avoid a power-cycle situation.

So, what make/model of router do you have? Linksys, Netgear, etc.?

And what kind of traffic are you sending through this poor thing that is filling the buffer? Torrents, DNS server?

What firmware do you have installed? Different firmware has different capabilities.

I worked with a hardware firewall company for a while; our product had some issues with too many users/connections overloading the buffer. We did not have the ability to flush the buffer from withing the GUI, but using CLI/telnet we could flush without a power cycle. Though this was a Linux OS on proprietary hardware.

I could get a better idea of how to help you if I knew what kind of device you're running.

Laurence

"To reboot the router when the connection goes down, just type in your router's IP address in the address bar of any browser. The IP address should be easily viewable in your computer's network preferences, though it's usually http://192.168.1.1 or something similar. Every router's settings page is different, but you should be able to reboot the router just by going to basic settings and hitting the "save" or "apply" button without making any changes?this will reboot your router and hopefully get your connection up and running again."

Taken from http://lifehacker.com/#!5548323/remotely-reboot-your-router-from-any-browser

Hope it helps! =)