PS2, Possible to hook up a hard drive to it?

Bain

Hey you all,

Simple question here, the extra bay area on the PS2... Would it be possible to hook up a hardrive to it? Do you think this is possibly a feature we've yet to see from Sony? Will it only accept a certain hardrive from Sony?

- Just some questions I was wondering.

The biggest thing I like about the XBox is the 40GB hard drive, no need to continue purchasing little 8MB memory cards, 40GB's is enough to hold a lifetime of video game saves :)

It would be killer if we could hook a hard drive up to our PS2!

velocity3k

The extra bay in the PS2 is for the Broadband Modem which is going to be released Mid 2002 in America for around $100.

PM5K

Umm... I'm no gaming guru, but I believe the x-box comes with either a ten or eight gb drive, not 40, but I could be wrong....

Roger H.
Originally posted by Bain

Hey you all, .....

The biggest thing I like about the XBox is the 40GB hard drive, no need to continue purchasing little 8MB memory cards, 40GB's is enough to hold a lifetime of video game saves :)

whoa.. where did you hear that? It's advertised as 10GB but it's... for most people.. only 8GB. That's still alot of game saves but i'm just wondering where you heard 40GB?

digistil

The hard drive will sell for $150, and the broadband adapter will sell for $30-$40. The hard drive is scheduled for release in Q2 of '02, and will be 40 GB. The broadband adapter is scheduled for release in Q1 of '02.

PM5K

Actually it's the other way around, at the last minute they changed it from ten to eight, but some people still got ten.

Bain

lol, I'm not too sure where I heard that the XBox had a 40GB in it, I know I heard it somwhere.. probably from one of my mis-informed buddies or something.

Ya, that would be great if SONY were to release a hard drive for the PS2, no more 8MB memory cards!

mDagar

Sony has released a HDD for the PS2 already in Jap. They SOLD OUT!!! :) And right now ... they are only selling Jap. Compatable Version.

http://www.psx2.com/features/hdd2.shtml

Readup on it , or see some pics (scroll to the middle of the page.) I think It is Very cool looking :)

40GB and with an ethernet 100mbit connection.

External Version:

PS2_HDD_1.gifPS2_HDD_2.gif

ps2-hdd.jpg

Internal Version:

ps2-hdd_ext.jpg

EDIT : There is an Internal (Goes in the expansion bay) and an external (the one you see in the pics above). Both have, I think, the 40gb hdd and and ethernet connection.

X

Cool.. Im going to be buying a ps2 just for FF XI and some other games :)

mDagar

Metal Gear Solid 2 and Grand Turismo 3 .. Two great games ... Just those two games alone could keep me going for a LONG time :)

I have never played any Final Fantasy games .... ever ... maybe should try start ... I think I'll be missing something seeing how I didn't play the first 9 :)

EmuZombie
Originally posted by DamN

Cool.. Im going to be buying a ps2 just for FF XI and some other games :)

you do realize that FFXI is rumored (not sure if it's been comfirmed yet) to be an online only, "pay-to-play" game...

I say if that's true, stick with FF X ;) not that I wouldn't mind an online only one.... just the price ya know? Not all of us are rich :p

Bain

xcert,

that is dead sexy and I will be one of the first one's to make the purhase when it launches in the US :) Thanks for the info mate!