UK Train Arrival Alert now Live!

UPDATE : 16/04/2011 : 'My Stop' is now live on the WP7 Marketplace!

http://social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=86bab700-4065-e011-81d2-78e7d1fa76f8

I'm just finishing work on my latest Windows Phone 7 app - My Stop! It's a simple Arrival Alert App to be used by train travellers. Simply enter the Start and Destination stations and the app uses the phone GPS to alert and inform the user when the destination station is nearing.

Note : Right now, the app is only for use within the United Kingdom. I'll be looking at making deferred releases for further countries in time.

Features of the App include :

• Full Metro UI compliant
  • Comprehensive UK Train Station List
  • Does not use Phone Data plan for fetching coordinate data
  • Does not use Phone Data plan for displaying journey on Maps
  • User Selectable reminder radius
  • User Selectable alert radius
  • Optimized performance
  • Recent Journeys and Favourites list
  • Runs under the lock screen
  • Also displays Destination Weather Information

The app doesn't use the Phone Data for any function. It only uses the phone's GPS to log current coordinates.

Here is a YouTube video that I made for the app :

Any suggestions, feedback or comments on what you guys think of it?

This is an app i've been looking for, when it's released let me know and I'll grab a copy off the marketplace.

This is an app i've been looking for, when it's released let me know and I'll grab a copy off the marketplace.

Awesome! :) I'm targetting publishing it this Sunday, and if the certification goes well, then it might be available mid next week. I'll send you a ping, when it is.

Nice work so far. (Y)

Time tables would be a worthy addition, of course they will need a data connection.

you should read this btw: http://mocko.org.uk/b/2011/01/08/open-uk-rail-data-media-coverage-broken-appeals-process/#more-403

a guy tried to make a free android app using the publicly available datafeed then got cut off so he complained on his blog and they refuse to give him a licence, even a paid licence to the data feed. The only timetable apps available are 2 of them and they are ?3.49 each.

you should read this btw: http://mocko.org.uk/b/2011/01/08/open-uk-rail-data-media-coverage-broken-appeals-process/#more-403

a guy tried to make a free android app using the publicly available datafeed then got cut off so he complained on his blog and they refuse to give him a licence, even a paid licence to the data feed. The only timetable apps available are 2 of them and they are ?3.49 each.

Except this app doesn't use timetables, it uses GPS...

Awesome idea, can't wait to get it.

Thanks a ton. :-)

is it free? Any plans on making an Android version?

I was mulling over whether to keep it free, or to charge ? 0.79 for it. I'm going to have a Trial version of the app anyways which will let you track 10 journeys before you decide to buy the app.

Do you guys feel it is over-priced at that price-point?

And yes, and Andriod version is right next on my agenda. Work for that will start next week. :)

Absolutely! That is the exact reason why I didn't want to implement a full Time-Table and live alert on train times because of that precedent. So, I'm not too sure whether I'll implement it or not. I've shot a mail over to NationalRail and to TfL ( been a while now ), and have yet to receive a response from either! <Sigh>

Except this app doesn't use timetables, it uses GPS...

You are right! It uses the GPS on the phone, and doesn't use any data feed.

Its no good to me I dont ever use the train lol but It actually looks good. And Never underestimate the price people will pay for things. I would have said at least ?1.50. Its cheap at half the price.

Its no good to me I dont ever use the train lol but It actually looks good. And Never underestimate the price people will pay for things. I would have said at least ?1.50. Its cheap at half the price.

Thanks a ton for your feedback! :-) So, that means that the ? 0.79 price should be acceptable to people...

Any more votes, on what the price should be?

I was mulling over whether to keep it free, or to charge ? 0.79 for it. I'm going to have a Trial version of the app anyways which will let you track 10 journeys before you decide to buy the app.

Do you guys feel it is over-priced at that price-point?

And yes, and Andriod version is right next on my agenda. Work for that will start next week. :)

Nope, I think ?0.79 is a fair price, especially with the 10 journey free trial first... (Y)

Looking forward to the Android version.

Nope, I think ?0.79 is a fair price, especially with the 10 journey free trial first... (Y)

Looking forward to the Android version.

Just received email that my app was rejected certification!!! That was because I hadn't put in the privacy policy of what the app is going to do with the user's location data!!!

I should've been more aware of the guidelines!!! Nevertheless, it's been resubmitted, and hopefully we'll get the app in the marketplace in the next couple of days!!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. If you have more, keep them coming. I'll add them to this version in an update, and add them to the Android version, which is under development.

The app is now live on the WP7 marketplace. The link to Zune is on the topic description! :-)

Thanks for all the feedback guys...