Growing eyes

MIT....

Growing Eyeballs

Embryonic stem cells growing in a dish can spontaneously form complex structures resembling the retina?a discovery that could one day help restore sight to the blind.

A clump of mouse embryonic stem cells can self-organize into three-dimensional structures reminiscent of the retina in the early stages of embryonic development, according to a new study published Wednesday in Nature. Researchers believe this process could one day serve as a source of cells to transplant into diseased and damaged retinas?a potential way to restore sight to the blind.

Researchers at the RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology in Kobe, Japan, began with clusters of about 3,000 mouse embryonic stem cells floating in a mix of chemicals designed to spur differentiation into retinal cells. After a week, several balloon-like sacs of cells began to protrude from the surface of each cluster. Over the next few days, those sacs pouched inward on themselves to form structures resembling the optic cup?the complex dual-layered structure that emerges early in development and eventually becomes the retina.

>

That is so cool. I hope this discovery leads to a full fledged cure for blindness. That would be awesome.

There's another paper (have to look up the link) where retinal stem cells are injected into a degenerated retina and it has partially grown back.

Tissue engineering is moving SO damned fast.

There's another paper (have to look up the link) where retinal stem cells are injected into a degenerated retina and it has partially grown back.

Tissue engineering is moving SO damned fast.

Have you watched the Nova Science Now show where they covered all this tech and asked if we will be able to live forever?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/can-we-live-forever.html

Crazy indeed. Much further along than i even knew.. i'm a space/physics nut.. amazes me what this field is coming up with.

thanks much for posting this Doc, very good news. just imagine all the ailments and suffering that will be overcome in a century or so. i really envy the people of the 22nd century...they will have so much that is sci fi to us taken as given...they will think organ generation and going to Mars are things that happen every day, not just dreams.

I'd rather have eyes than teeth. :blink:

I think he meant more in the way that there are far more people with damaged teeth, and that can be detrimental to getting a proper diet.

also for a lot of blind people this won't be useful, only those with actually physically damaged eyes, not those that are blind because of something further back.

it will happen, amnio tanks will become a reality, but i'm afraid it'll be for the rich only for the first couple of centuries...

Just remember that DIY gene sequencing can, at a basic level, be done on a dime. At home. There are entire websites dedicated to it.

Getting nervous yet?