Why is CCleaner considered crap?

Ok guys. I've read almost every comment on the front page regarding the Top 10 apps which shouldn't miss (https://www.neowin.net/news/top-ten-freeware-apps-that-no-pc-should-be-without) , and most people were attacking CCleaner.

I just wonder why?

I know that it has several problems with the registry.

But I, with several computers, have never experienced any kind of problems, even using recklessly the registry feature. (Vista - 7 PCs)

So, why? BSOD, programs crashing? Never experienced them...

They don't seem to be attacking ccleaner but registry cleaners in general. I agree registry cleaners are useless, but ccleaner is more than that and saying ccleaner isn't a good program is silly. I have ccleaner on all my pc's and just use the cleaner functionality (windows disk cleaner sucks).

hhhmmmm I've never seen ccleaner be bashed. IMO it's a pretty good app.

Yeah, me neither. It seems to be one of those apps that's universally loved. I don't and never have used the registry cleaner on it though. I just use it to clean up after my browsing, ect...

I think the problem lies within registry cleaners themselves. People think that these are needed for day to day operations which isn't true. Cleaning the registry of junk entries doesn't do anything for system performance.

Not to mention this placebo effect is used by malware authors to convince people to to install their shady products. AKA CleanMyPC.com or whatever it was...

I have CCleaner installed on all 3 of my machines, and love it for the fact that it can wipe free space on my HDD.

I've heard mostly good but some bad about ccleaner. I agree that registry boosters/cleaners/etc are totally pointless and can be dangerous, but ccleaner is not that bad.

I don't use it, but for the novice user it's a good program to clean up the computer.

I've never had an issue with it and I use the registry cleaning functionality sometimes. I generally just use the regular cleaning most of the time though. I don't use it to increase performance, just to clean up a little more. The registry in general is HUGE compared to how little it cleans it, so wouldn't gain much from doing it.

I generally put in on every machine I need to clean of an infection before I start the actual cleanup.

I hate "registry cleaners" too but CCleaner is different. CCleaner is a real registry cleaner as far as I'm concerned. It's pretty good at finding registry entires left behind after uninstalling programs and such. It's not gimmicky like some other ones. It's also good at cleaning up temporary files. I don't see any reason to hate CCleaner.

I agree, CCleaner should not be confused with so called "registry optimizers" which are indeed useless crap. CCleaner fixes actual problems. Also the registry checker is a secondary feature of the program and not it's not what it's normally used for.

I'll start off by saying I haven't used CCleaner for the longest, probably 1.5yrs or more. With the advent of "inPrivate" browsing it's last use case was squashed. Registry cleaners are bad since forever and i've always said that. As a result I definitely see no need to have CCleaner on any PC - much less installed. Maybe you install it once in a while and do a cleanup if you are worried about all that but there's no need to have it on there all the time.

ccleaner is good app just avoid the reg cleaner part. the windows one is basic but it is better than nothing.

CCleaner is my mainstay for "PC Tune-Ups".

Whenever I do a house call that involves "Make my Computer go faster" I bring Malwarebytes and CCleaner. Check for malcrap with malwarebytes, then do a CClean, and a run of uninstalls to get crapware off the system. Then, purge msconfig of startup software, and I'm usually good to go.

• Like 3

CCleaner helps me quite often, we have users who manage to eff up their configuration so that IE doesn't connect to any pages, for example. There are a handful of issues we always end up using CCleaner for--it works like a charm and we don't have to sort through everything and try to figure out what they did to get in that mess in the first place.

Don't use the installed version, use the portable as it doesn't load anything. Many programs like this one are getting bloat ware on them when you install too so you must slow down to make sure true "Crap" isn't installed along with it.

CCleaner is my mainstay for "PC Tune-Ups".

Whenever I do a house call that involves "Make my Computer go faster" I bring Malwarebytes and CCleaner. Check for malcrap with malwarebytes, then do a CClean, and a run of uninstalls to get crapware off the system. Then, purge msconfig of startup software, and I'm usually good to go.

I sure hope you follow up with a boot time scan with say Avast Home free or MSE cause I can assure you if it's infected with much of the malware floating around your going to miss alot of things still in the system mostly java related infections and trojans. Malwarebytes is good, so is ccleaner but they never EVER get everything.

• Like 2

One of the first programs I ensure is installed on any new PC, after AV and firewalls.

Regularly run the registry cleaner too after uninstalling games, and never had any problems, using the back up function when required.

It's all down to common sense.

I think the problem lies within registry cleaners themselves. People think that these are needed for day to day operations which isn't true. Cleaning the registry of junk entries doesn't do anything for system performance.

Not to mention this placebo effect is used by malware authors to convince people to to install their shady products. AKA CleanMyPC.com or whatever it was...

I have CCleaner installed on all 3 of my machines, and love it for the fact that it can wipe free space on my HDD.

Nice, didn't know it had a free space wipe feature.

Don't use the installed version, use the portable as it doesn't load anything. Many programs like this one are getting bloat ware on them when you install too so you must slow down to make sure true "Crap" isn't installed along with it.

I sure hope you follow up with a boot time scan with say Avast Home free or MSE cause I can assure you if it's infected with much of the malware floating around your going to miss alot of things still in the system mostly java related infections and trojans. Malwarebytes is good, so is ccleaner but they never EVER get everything.

I also recommend clearing the system restore points

Crap because it's unecessary. the useful parts of it windows can already do. then you have the registry part, which can kill computers, and I have had to fix several computers that have dies because they used the CCleaer registry cleaner. There are worse registry cleaners, but there's not good registry cleaner. Yeah sure 99.999% of the time it won't do any damage. but it's that one time...