• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Poll] I back up personal files...

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

+Frank B.    7,151

Poll 'borrowed' from Slashdot.

ncc50446    73

Monthly is enough for me. I don't really save a lot of stuff.

My programming gets uploaded every night with SVN, but that's about all. Everything else is backed up every month or so. Usually at the beginning of the month.

MFH    190

Daily by my WHS?

+longgonebn    74

Right now it's when ever I remember and can. I don't really have the setup or space I want to do a proper backup of all my stuff, and I know I am going to sorry eventually if I don't get it done.

Kreuger    107

I used to all the time but not anymore.

Damian    119

Hourly backups with Time Machine.

Mr. Chronopoulos    3

Hourly backups with Time Machine.

^ This. I have Time Machine running on my NAS with 2 drives in RAID 1, plus another NAS with the same configuration at my workplace for an offsite backup. Redundancy ftw.

Jen Smith    117

For the most part, for personal stuff on various machines anyway, the user directories are done by VSS, plus I have one of my BSD servers crawling network resources and backing things up daily, mostly so my husband and daughter don't have to deal with it.. ease of use and all that. The work machines also have a daily backup alongside being on RAID arrays. Development also saves to either a Subversion server or Team Foundation Server, depending on the OS. My laptop and tablet typically don't get backed up, as 99% of the time I'm running through a terminal server connection and nothing gets saved locally.

Singh400    184

When I save something important

Important = get transferred to each DropBox + WHS box.

Colin-uk    135

every 4 - 6 months or so i guess.

DirtyLarry    2,097

^ This. I have Time Machine running on my NAS with 2 drives in RAID 1, plus another NAS with the same configuration at my workplace for an offsite backup. Redundancy ftw.

Just curious, does this not slow things down a bit on your entire network though?

I literally just picked up my NAS last week, and am currently in the stages of setting up the backups for all of my computers. I have 4 total I need to backup. 2 Windows Comps, and 2 Mac Comps. So I really am genuinely asking, as I would think this would slow things down a bit if it is going hourly. My plan was to do either nightly or weekly backups, and try to set it up so only one comp is going at a time. For example Comp01 at 12:00 Midnight, Comp 02 at 1:30 AM, Comp03 and 3:00 AM, and Comp04 at 4:30 AM.

With that above said, I am not sure speed is all that much of a concern anymore. I just rewired my entire home network yesterday from Cat5 cables to Cat5E. All because when I first installed the NAS I noticed the transfer speeds were very slow and not what Synology was advertising. So upon further inspection it turned out most of my home network was made up of Cat 5 RJ45 cables. I honestly always just used whatever I had laying around, so those Cat5 cables were polluting my network. So I just upgraded every single RJ45 cable on my Network to Cat5e, all 12 of them :laugh: and my transfer speeds to the DiskStation went from 10 MB a second to 40 MB a second. I am EXTREMELY happy with the result of upgrading everything to Cat 5e. I should have known better, as all of my switches and router support Gigabit, but I never put two plus two together until I introduced the NAS to the network.

andrew_f    26

Carbonite and Windows Live Mesh do things on file save then a weekly Windows backup on an External HDD.

Steve B.    467

Usually whenever I remember, which is regularly now. Dropbox keeps my University work in check so I can access it from campus computers.

Sir Topham Hatt    278

I backup yearly on to DVDs.

Occasionlally I will have a second backup to an external HDD.

ThaCrip    665

"Whenever i save something important"

for those who don't do that on 'cannot afford to lose' type data is just asking for it and will have to learn the hard way (i.e. data loss) before they start taking it more seriously.

so it depends on what data it is... but in general if it's something really important i usually have 1 copy on 1 hard drive, another copy on another hard drive and then at least 1 copy on some QUALITY DVD's (i.e. Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden). (it also can't hurt to have a backup online as there is many free ways to backup online)

for something fairly important ill usually just have 1 copies of it on the PC but on different hard drives in case 1 hard drive dies ill still have a backup copy on another hard drive.

p.s. i never learned the hard way but if it's data i cannot afford to lose i don't mess around.

YounGMessiah    38

weekly

Vambo    7

Daily by my WHS?

+1

YounGMessiah    38

I have had too much bad luck or whatever you wanna call it with losing files because I did not back it up lol! Weekly seems to be alright with me :); all manual.

kyosuken    6

Whenever i save something important : manually.

I should know better tho... happened to me a couple of time to "lose" relatively important things... but nowadays besides my music collection i do not have anything much personal on my comp (work stuff is saved on a svn server, and i have multiple machines with copies just in case)

Carbon Fiber    48

DropBox

metallithrax    522

I don't have that much that needs backing up, so it's usually when something breaks.

P.M.K    18

All my important stuff is saved on DropBox.

DavidM    329

Whenever I remember, but I don't keep anything important on my laptop.

Everything important is backed up on my portable drive AND my desktop.

DaveLegg    1,014

Need a constantly option really. My Documents, Music and Pictures folders are all connected to my server here using offline files, so any changes immediately sync to there, and then down to my other laptops, so that instantly gives me 3 local copies, and a 4th every time I turn on my netbook and that syncs too. Additionally, I have shadow copies on the server taking snapshots every 12 hours. On top of that, the server replicates constantly via DFSR to my server out in the states, for offsite backup, which also takes shadow copies at 12 hour intervals, but offset by 6 hours from the server here, giving me a shadow copy snapshot in one location or the other every 6 hours. I like to feel my data is pretty safe :)

chconline    162

I do a full image backup of my desktop every week on Friday to my NAS, since that's the most convenient idle time. However, the files between my main desktop and main laptop are fully synchronized so there's 3 copies of the same data anyway.