• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Poll] I back up personal files...

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ipeters61    0

My uncle and I wrote a program to remind me to run my backup every once and while (I set it to run every Wednesday and Sunday at 9 PM - the program is necessary so I can remember to plug in my external drive to my computer). I was holding off doing my backups for a while. I finally ran it on Wednesday.

I tried installing Linux and was messing with my partitions. I accidentally destroyed my data partition. Thank god for my external hard drive.

Mazhar    55

Weekly synching files to SkyDrive. Soon will by an external HDD for another backup source.

Anibal P    2,055

SugarSync every time I save a file, plus they are accessible on my phone, I also use DropBox to double back up some files

Until last year the answer would have been never

Miuku.    364

Hourly/On the fly with Time Machine to an external USB and monthly to a remote location.

sir West    0

I'm a very paranoid person so i do backups daily + monthly to an offsite backup. I originally had WHS but it started to limit the possibilities so i just got an win server 2008 r2 x64 and installed this. Although i have some really awesome 3ware raid cards in the cupboard, i still don't use them. They don't protect from file system based damages, only from hw failures which are rare. So i have 2x1,5TB WD green drives, one is actively in use for the whole household pc's, and second one gets the mirrored file updates every night with robocopy + holds all windows server own partition backups. Then i have 1TB drive at work which i bring home monthly and mirror all changes from the daily backup drive to the offsite backup drive. I still have stuff under 1TB so it's not limiting yet. When it grows too big, i'll just keep out movies from my backups as least needed collection :p Most important stuff are all pictures and videos of my family and myself through ~10 years, which are digital-only. I simply CANT lose them, it's not a possibility. So the offsite backup protects from any environmental disasters and of course, more likely, burglars ;)

Damo R.    29,670

when I remember or have free time but it all gets shoved onto the external hdd

Richard C.    289

Daily to my file server via an automated script from my desktops

Overnight to my USB HDD from my iMac

Lilrich    47

Daily to external hard drive

Daily to Crash Plan (offsite)

Ambroos    801

Documents (about 2GB) are synced online, photos (about 120GB) are mirrored monthly across three completely different HDD's :)

Charisma    2,399

Weekly backup runs automatically, love Seagate and their drive management software. Simple, highly configurable, and works like a charm.

Now I just have to be more consistent about remembering to undock the HDD and bring it with me when it's not doing the backup... won't do me much good to have two copies of my stuff if they're both right next to each other and therefore would both get stolen/destroyed at the same time...

Richard C.    289

Usually monthly but I occasionally forget :p All of my files are stored on a local file server rather than the actual computer though, so backups are less important (no file loss due to formatting etc)

Nick H.    10,197

Backups?

In fairness I would do backups if I had anything worth keeping. The only things that I would be sad about losing are my photos, but it's not life-threatening if it happens.