Space Shuttle museums

NASA has announced the museums where retired Space Shuttles will be displayed -

Enterprise: USS Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, NYC

Atlantis: Kennedy Space Center, Florida

Endeavour: California Science Center, Los Angeles

Discovery: Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

Awesomesauce. I'm smack dab in the middle of DC and New York. Would be a great day trip to see Discovery and Enterprise!

I'm am now patiently waiting for the day a "Galactica" flys in space (again :shiftyninja: )!

I am glad the intrepid got one. everybody has been wondering why the intrepid. Westhampton national gaurd has been one of the oncall recovery teams. Also grumman on long island helped build the lunar lander (my grandfathe worked on it). Nasa has offices in NYC and has their radiation lab on long island.

Here in Houston, just about everyone is disappointed that Johnson Space Center / Mission Control did not get one. I know I am.

Here in Houston, just about everyone is disappointed that Johnson Space Center / Mission Control did not get one. I know I am.

I think they chose cities that see more tourists. It all boils down to $

I think they chose cities that see more tourists. It all boils down to $

That isn't the issue at all.

Johnson Space Center was on track to get *Columbia*; unfortunately, we all know what happened to that particular shuttle.

Discovery will *not* be at the main NASM - but at Uthar-Hazy next to Washington Dulles International Airport (way too large to bring into DC proper).

Uthar-Hazy has the *larger* exhibits that NASM main can't hold (an SR-71A is there as well; the one that actually set several records en route to the "rocking chair"), which makes it worth visiting in and of itself. The sticking point is that Dulles is WAY off the beaten path (and likely will be until the new Orange Extension from West Falls Church to Dulles and U-H gets completed).

Chicago museum of science and industry, anyone? flyover country gets ignored once more. good to hear that these ladies will be treated well in retirement, for all their shortcomings they've achieved much.

Uthar-Hazy has the *larger* exhibits that NASM main can't hold (an SR-71A is there as well; the one that actually set several records en route to the "rocking chair"), which makes it worth visiting in and of itself.

Isn't that the one that was used in Transformers 2?

Would also have been nice if the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola could have gotten one but hey, there are only a few to go around, and there was already one in Florida. NYC and DC are so close to each other though (relatively speaking) that that they really shouldn't have given one to both.