Can someone explain me SMTP?

Hello everyone, can someone please explain me about SMTP ? I wish to do the following. (Sorry for me english)

I work for a small company that organizes events (shows, expos, etc.) and we want to send an online invitation to about 5,000 clients which gave us their mail in past events and agreed on being part of our mailing list.

So my question is ... we need to send them the invitation, and I was looking into smtp.com services, but my question is ... if we buy the service from smtp.com or any other, we could use our mail as the "Sender" (From:) but, our email host smtp has about 300 daily mails limit.

My question is, even if we use smtp.com as the server to send the mails, but we use our mail @ourdomain.com will it be limited to the 300 daily mails limit? If so ... why do we need smtp.com servers?

I'm totally lost here, could someone guide me please?

My question is, even if we use smtp.com as the server to send the mails, but we use our mail @ourdomain.com will it be limited to the 300 daily mails limit? If so ... why do we need smtp.com servers?

Doesn't matter what address you're using in the sender field, if its their servers doing the sending it's going to count towards that limit.

It would be a better idea to check with your Domain Hosting company to find out what their Mail limits and such are, if they don't have one or a higher one it would be easier to setup your own list and send the mails that way and it wouldn't cost you anything extra.

Thanks everyone for your replies, so just to get it right.

If my hosts accepts 300 mails daily and I use a different smtp that limit doesn't count.

And what about... if I use a @gmail.com address as the sender, which gmail has 500 email limit, but using an external smtp what would happen there?

Thanks everyone for your replies, so just to get it right.

If my hosts accepts 300 mails daily and I use a different smtp that limit doesn't count.

And what about... if I use a @gmail.com address as the sender, which gmail has 500 email limit, but using an external smtp what would happen there?

Same thing. No matter who you use, they can only track emails sent through their SMTP server.

Why not just use one of those online email marketing services? Are you guys a non-profit or just being cheap?

Companies I've worked with have used iContact & Vertical Response for this sort of thing, but there's plenty of other services too. In the past I've also tried having bulk emails sent out via our company ISP's SMTP servers, but you know how that is..you can't send too many at one time, & half the emails themselves end up in spam filters b/c of how the SMTP server is set up & whatnot. It's just way easier to sign up with a service to do this through.

But if you're going to do it on the cheap, expect to have to do this over a span of days if you use a SMTP server with limits.

Another option is to send the emails using a program that can act as its own SMTP server. Something like GroupMail, for example. But if you do it this way, you should expect a large percentage of your emails to go into people's spam filters.