Meet the browser: Firefox Next

I used to use Nightly until they they started screwing around with the scaling a month or so back. Tried it yesterday and saw they still haven't addressed that issue and quickly uninstalled. Even when I select small icons it looks to big, the spacing is all wrong, bookmarks look ugly and websites look like they were designed for the visually impaired. What the hell are they doing? I'm also waiting for them to separate download history from browser history and the option to choose between desktop and modern UI regardless of what state I am in.

Get your **** together, Mozilla. The only reason I'm using it over Chrome ATM is because Adblock Plus is better. Pretty sad because I'm a loyal user and have been using it since Firebird.

• Like 2

I personally gonna ditch firefox soon, I hate new bookmark star button change, I don't wanna increase my addon inventory, don't want some scriptish hacks.

I am amused to see how bad Mozilla has fallen, every FF diehard fan like me know early FF4 release days when FF started competition for FF4 possible theme and people took part in it because it was crucial for FF and Mozilla wanted to make changes what people want but now in case of Australis they took mockups of one Stephen Horlander ****** and start implementing it because they think it is Chrome copy and they could be similarly successful with it. Truth is bitter. Alas! now they will loss some crucial base of users.

I am pretty sad right now and being freedom of speech I am making my opinion, you can disagree with me completely but I will stick with my comment.

it is sad, i been a Mozilla user since Netscape days, my main Gripe is the New AppMenu, it isnt usable IMO

What's the new Appmenu you guys are talking about?

Demz is talking about UX branch I think.

For me Nightly is garbage these days.

I used to use Nightly until they they started screwing around with the scaling a month or so back. Tried it yesterday and saw they still haven't addressed that issue and quickly uninstalled. Even when I select small icons it looks to big, the spacing is all wrong, bookmarks look ugly and websites look like they were designed for the visually impaired. What the hell are they doing? I'm also waiting for them to separate download history from browser history and the option to choose between desktop and modern UI regardless of what state I am in.

Get your **** together, Mozilla. The only reason I'm using it over Chrome ATM is because Adblock Plus is better. Pretty sad because I'm a loyal user and have been using it since Firebird.

The only "scaling" thing they've done recently is make Firefox respect the system DPI on Windows, so if it's looking "too big" then so should everything else on the system.

I personally gonna ditch firefox soon, I hate new bookmark star button change, I don't wanna increase my addon inventory, don't want some scriptish hacks.

I am amused to see how bad Mozilla has fallen, every FF diehard fan like me know early FF4 release days when FF started competition for FF4 possible theme and people took part in it because it was crucial for FF and Mozilla wanted to make changes what people want but now in case of Australis they took mockups of one Stephen Horlander ****** and start implementing it because they think it is Chrome copy and they could be similarly successful with it. Truth is bitter. Alas! now they will loss some crucial base of users.

I am pretty sad right now and being freedom of speech I am making my opinion, you can disagree with me completely but I will stick with my comment.

Do you think it would be simple to use a script to make it like how it is now? I agree it isn't as nice as how it is already.

Do you think it would be simple to use a script to make it like how it is now? I agree it isn't as nice as how it is already.

No, the way they are removing code for old stuff, it will surely be pain in the ****. Lets hope someone do this for us.

This Australis change..

u8feb9W.png

It look to me the bookmark button will be a standard button now? Could you rearrange it on the navbar?

If so, I don't think it'll be too much of a hassle. I could just move it to the addon bar and have something like this:

YM30Dju.jpg

They did the same thing with the RSS button back in FF4 and, but I can just move it to the url like that above =)

It look to me the bookmark button will be a standard button now? Could you rearrange it on the navbar?

If so, I don't think it'll be too much of a hassle. I could just move it to the addon bar and have something like this:

YM30Dju.jpg

They did the same thing with the RSS button back in FF4 and, but I can just move it to the url like that above =)

The issue is we can't rearrange it on nav menu. Whole point is that..

No, is that true? what about other buttons? can those be rearrange too or not?

Australis will bring some changes to way Customization is done as well. All in all, Firefox is cutting his own feet with his own axe nothing more.

So not only are they actually going forward with that ugly theme but they're making it so we can't customize it as easily too? What are they thinking?

Without customization Firefox is nothing.

So not only are they actually going forward with that ugly theme but they're making it so we can't customize it as easily too? What are they thinking?

Without customization Firefox is nothing.

Zlip is being overly dramatic.

Here's the list of proposed changes:

==== Customization Final Proposal ====# Goals* Lower the barrier to entry for end-users to customize the UI - make it an experience that more users can find and want to tryAs a caveat, this means protecting the user from the few customizations that break the browsing experience. We get a ton of hits on https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/navigation-buttons-missing. Resetting Firefox is a ham-fisted solution, and so we're going to try to make it harder for these critical bits of UI to disappear* Make it easier for add-ons to add buttons to toolbars and the new menu panel on installation* Do our best effort to allow power users to retain their heavily customized UIs. In some cases, certain customizations will need an add-on to manipulate some UI.------------------------------------------------------------------------# List of proposed changes* Join the Stop and Reload buttons into a single button for customizing, like the back / forward buttons.There's quite a bit of magic with the stop and reload buttons. If they're in the order of Stop + Reload, they merge into a single button. If they're next to the URL bar in that order, they merge into the URL bar. If they are in the Reload + Stop order, they stay as separate buttons. They can also be set on opposite sides of the browser window. The two buttons' enabled state is mutually exclusive. This is an attempt to reduce some of those hacks by getting rid of a case (Stop and Reload in a different order from one another).This change could be undone with an add-on by hiding the combined stop/reload and supplying two discrete new buttons.* Prevent back, forward, url bar, stop and reload buttons from leaving the nav-bar, while still allowing them to be re-ordered.A popular SUMO page is: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/navigation-buttons-missing - it is far, far too easy for users to move these critical items into collapsing toolbars, or into the palette.These toolbar items would never get moved to the overflow panel.This change could also be undone with an add-on.* Remove the ability to hide the Navigation ToolbarUsers who are seeking to match the IE9+ theme (navigation controls inline with the tabs) will need to install an add-on.* Toolbars that are collapsed will not be visible while customizing* Remove the add-on bar from the core productThis helps to cluster tools into the top portion of the browser by default and avoids incurring an entire toolbar when a user only has a couple of add-ons installedAnecdotal data also suggests that this toolbar is not broadly useful for the majority of our users.Finally, we hope this will make add-on-installed features feel more like "first class citizens" and equal to shipped-in-the-browser features by allowing them to all live together in the same menu panel. This co-mingling will hopefully make it clear to end-users that both add-on features and built-in ones are addable and removeable by them.The add-on bar could be re-inserted with another add-on.* Remove UI for adding custom toolbarsFrom anecdotal user data, this is not a heavily used feature. This feature could also be restored with an add-on.* Small icons mode, as well as text and text+icons modes for toolbar items will be removedThe "small icons" mode does very little. On Mac, it only affects the appearance of the back/forward button. On Windows, it additionally only affects the padding between icons, not the size of the icons themselves.We don't have good usage data (as far as I know), but since it is a non-default option that must be enabled through secondary UI, it's quite likely that usage across the user base is very low.Given Firefox's very powerful add-ons capabilities, it's possible to "work around" the lack of the feature in Firefox with an add-on (e.g. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/small-nav-bar/?src=ss)------------------------------------------------------------------------# Possibly Asked Questions:Q: List for me all of the areas in Firefox that will be customizable.A: Where "customizable" means "I can drag and drop toolbar items while in customize mode", the following areas will support this activity out of the box* The entire nav-bar (including areas to the left of the back, forward, URL bar, stop and reload buttons) will be customizable (with the exception that the back, forward, URL bar, stop and reload buttons cannot leave the nav-bar, and cannot overflow)* The tab strip - although the tabs themselves will not be moveable by default.* The entire menu bar if not autohidden (as is currently the case, the File | Edit | View menu will not be removable)* The entire bookmarks bar if not autohiddenQ: If I've moved my back, forward, URL bar, stop and/or reload button out of the nav-bar, what happens when I suddenly start using this new version of Firefox?A: Your back, forward, URL bar, stop and reload buttons will be clustered together and put back into the nav-bar.An add-on will need to be written in order to move those items out of the nav-bar.Q: Explain the back/forward, URL bar, stop/reload clustering again. Can I put my back button on the right side of my nav-bar? Can I put my URL bar into my tab toolbar?A: The stop and reload buttons will be merged into a single toolbar item. This means that it will not be possible by default to separate them from one another.The three items - back/forward, URL bar, and stop/reload will be restricted to the navigation toolbar by default, and cannot be removed. They can, however be reordered - meaning that items can be placed around and between them.So, for example, the navigation bar could be customized to have the following items in this order:URL bar, downloads, stop/reload, search input, home, bookmarks, back/forward

Source: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2013-April/000302.html

wow guys, talk about jumping to conclusions too quickly. if you remember correctly when the firefox 4 theme was being worked on, there where several buttons that you couldn't move when they were first implemented. it took some time before they were movable

You can move the star button so I'm not sure what the issue is anyway.

Screencast to put that **** back?

Zlip is being overly dramatic.

Here's the list of proposed changes:

Source: https://mail.mozilla...ril/000302.html

Don't be sissy here, If you look into Mozillazine, I even asked for help to revert to old case but there is no method as yet I know if you can help it will better, from where you are quoting this all plans, I do have access to it as well.

Sorry for bumping into your topic guys but is it possible to search in bookmark folders anymore? I tried searching for one thing, and it searched in all folders, when I want it in one folder only..oh and I'm currently using Firefox 21.0 (the beta channel) thanks!

Interesting...this post got mangled. And I forgot what I had said so ignore it. :rofl:

Damnit. IPB really does suck some times. Anyway, you can read the linked e-mail :p

The only "scaling" thing they've done recently is make Firefox respect the system DPI on Windows, so if it's looking "too big" then so should everything else on the system.

The thing is Windows 8 default zoom is 125% and looks awful at 100%. Websites look way too big on a 24' monitor on IE and Firefox Nightly, but fine on Chrome. I'm worried when 23 hits the release channel and I won't have any option to fix this. Then again they are 'putting the user first' by removing as many options and customizations as possible.

Edit: Can't wait to accidentally bookmark sites with the new button. Also, why did they make it two clicks to get to unsorted bookmarks instead of having it in the drop down list like it used to? I know they changed this long ago, but why? They really lack direction at Mozilla...

You can stop Firefox respecting the system zoom level, but why not just change the system zoom level then?

Chrome not respecting the zoom is a bug, which I'm pretty sure they've fixed in developer versions.