Meet the browser: Firefox Next

I mean in the regular drop down that appears when the down arrow is clicked. Not the one that appears when you begin typing in the URL bar.

Not working here either. It appears in the popup when you type but not if you open the popup from the dropmarker

here it works:

KWc41.png

here it doesn't. I'll inspect it with DOM inspector

0tWKy.png

I'll answer my own questions. I just tried out 17 Nightly-UX and 17 Nightly. It was totally screwed up! Hardly any of my add-ons were working. The bookmarks bar wasn't even displaying, probably due to my multi-bookmarks toolbar extension. Neither version has animated tabs, so I guess they backed out on it yet again. Not surprised by that. I'm beginning to wonder if they will ever fix that? Also, there does appear to be a new download panel, but it doesn't fix the problem with the download speed and time remaining not displaying properly. I am going to try out Aurora 16 next. I hope I have better luck with that one!

Aurora 16 messed up my addons as well. Only 14.01 and 15 seem to work properly. 15 seems faster and more responsive, so I'm sticking with it for now. Does 15 have silent updates? I thought I remembered reading that it does, or it will by final version. Let me know. Thanks!

Aurora 16 messed up my addons as well. Only 14.01 and 15 seem to work properly. 15 seems faster and more responsive, so I'm sticking with it for now. Does 15 have silent updates? I thought I remembered reading that it does, or it will by final version. Let me know. Thanks!

Yes, FF15 has Silent Update, it will now give you Restart to Update or apply update on close..

Anyone know where to find the release schedule for the Mac builds? Was only able to find the one for the Windows builds, which is on v16 for the Aurora channel right now, but the Mac builds are still v15?

I'll answer my own questions. I just tried out 17 Nightly-UX and 17 Nightly. It was totally screwed up! Hardly any of my add-ons were working. The bookmarks bar wasn't even displaying, probably due to my multi-bookmarks toolbar extension. Neither version has animated tabs, so I guess they backed out on it yet again. Not surprised by that. I'm beginning to wonder if they will ever fix that? Also, there does appear to be a new download panel, but it doesn't fix the problem with the download speed and time remaining not displaying properly. I am going to try out Aurora 16 next. I hope I have better luck with that one!

mGr9I.png

Source : http://nightly.mozilla.org/

Anyone know where to find the release schedule for the Mac builds? Was only able to find the one for the Windows builds, which is on v16 for the Aurora channel right now, but the Mac builds are still v15?

Give it 1 to 2 days , it will be out :)

mGr9I.png

Source : http://nightly.mozilla.org/

Give it 1 to 2 days , it will be out :)

How come Aurora and Nightly mess up my addons, but 15 Beta 1 doesn't? Do I have to add a new compatibility check or something? 15 Beta 1 works great, but Aurora and Nightly don't even load up my last visited sites. Ya know, the session restore feature. I'm using a portable version. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

How come Aurora and Nightly mess up my addons, but 15 Beta 1 doesn't? Do I have to add a new compatibility check or something? 15 Beta 1 works great, but Aurora and Nightly don't even load up my last visited sites. Ya know, the session restore feature. I'm using a portable version. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

See new features come in and they can corrupt your profile , so just use a fresh profile (about:support > reset firefox), and umm try this on normal version and not the portable one

See new features come in and they can corrupt your profile , so just use a fresh profile (about:support > reset firefox), and umm try this on normal version and not the portable one

I must be blind, cause I don't see the reset firefox option anywhere under about:support. I'm using 15 Beta 1. Are you sure it's there? I know how to create a new profile, though. I didn't even try that, but I might if I feel like trying out Aurora or Nightly again. I'm not seeing much of a reason for me to switch, though. 15 Beta 1 works great, and as far as I can see there aren't any new features in 16 or 17 that are really worth switching for. Especially if 15 Beta 1 has silent updates, which is what I wanted.

I'm now on Firefox 15 beta.

Anyone have memory problems with it?

My use a lot more memory than 14 beta used, and I thought they fixed many memory problems in 15. Now after some time surfing 15 can easily eat over 1,4 GB of my memory (I have 2GB ram), when 14 rare eat more than 1 GB...

I'm now on Firefox 15 beta.

Anyone have memory problems with it?

My use a lot more memory than 14 beta used, and I thought they fixed many memory problems in 15. Now after some time surfing 15 can easily eat over 1,4 GB of my memory (I have 2GB ram), when 14 rare eat more than 1 GB...

There is about 3-5% Memory regression in FF15 which is expected because of Compartment per global whose benefits out weighs the negatives.

Even with the Hueyfix, the browser still managed to leak at least 2 gmail compartments somehow and ended up with 16 ghost windows on Firefox 15b1 :s :(

Even with the Hueyfix, the browser still managed to leak at least 2 gmail compartments somehow and ended up with 16 ghost windows on Firefox 15b1 :s :(

Not all addons leaks are fixed with Huey fix, it was meant to stop one of major cause of zombie compartment. There are many other reasons for such ghost windows. Mind sharing Addon list.

Some Good fixes:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=749536

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745030 (Got backout but might come back soon)

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=774755

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=716108

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=729760 (Got backout)

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=769541

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110894 (Old gold)

and some might more

Greasemonkey is doing it for me (due to a script), nearly every single YouTube page I visit ends up sticking around in RAM indefinitely.

Mockups of Start Page , seeing how simple it is , i guess this can be done real soon!

Oh hey look it is not-windows

Oh hey look it is not-windows

Correct, I'll think you find it's a mockup of a webpage in an editor like Photoshop.

Mockup != Working Build

Not specific to FF 15b2 but that is the version I am running and this bug has been plaguing me for ages

I have English UK spell check installed, but FF just unchecks the option all the time to check spelling, so almost every post I make, I have to right click a word and turn it back on

Any tips to get this permanently enabled ? (Also how to remove the US dictionary? )

I found culprit of my high memory usage in beta: Load Tabs Progressively.

I will miss it functions...

Slow down parsing of background tabs is already in FF16, so you will not miss it for very long.

Mozilla is 95% Mockup and 5% real work

Just to respond this, it's partly because they work in the open.

For example, a normal company will not show of mockups for future work until that work is basically done (or they just won't show it at all). This isn't how Mozilla works - almost all work is freely accessible - the effect being that you see (relatively) loads of mockups.

Plus, it suggests they have an active design department, which isn't such a bad thing. You can't just tell visual designers to stop working and start coding instead.

Just to respond this, it's partly because they work in the open.

For example, a normal company will not show of mockups for future work until that work is basically done (or they just won't show it at all). This isn't how Mozilla works - almost all work is freely accessible - the effect being that you see (relatively) loads of mockups.

Plus, it suggests they have an active design department, which isn't such a bad thing. You can't just tell visual designers to stop working and start coding instead.

As I've mentioned a couple pages back, this is exactly what they need to do. Every time they make GUI changes, this opens a whole can of bugs and addon incompatibilities, whereas new features only focus on a small subset of the code. It basically breaks the whole browser to the point they have to waste a few days just to make it usable again and this is what I believe gives the feeling that they hardly get anything done with each new release.