Meet the browser: Firefox Next

bawz    54
9 hours ago, Konstantine said:

Yo, excuse me for the way I'll speak, but can you stfu already? Every comment of yours tilts me(and I'm sure other members). This negativity is not worthy my time checking this thread for info or a decent conversation. Thanks.

im sure there's no rules on this forum where i cant have my own opinion, if you dont like it, avoid reading my comments.

BooBerry    2,671
3 hours ago, Demz said:

im sure there's no rules on this forum where i cant have my own opinion, if you dont like it, avoid reading my comments.

Or maybe you could be a bit more polite? :/ Having an opinion is different from being an opinionated jerk. :s

Just be a better self of yourself .:blush:

16 hours ago, Demz said:

RIP Firefox, Great knowing you or using you before you turned to ****

You will find other browser more suited for your needs then :yes:

• Like 3
BooBerry    2,671

• Some nice fixes added today
  • #1348403[Core:Networking]-Rename "SPDY" to "HTTP/2" in about:networking [Uns][[necko-active]]
  • #1354080 [Firefox:Theme]-Excessive CPU usage while the connecting/loading spinners are showing [Uns][[qf]]
  • #1344174 [Toolkit:Telemetry]-[e10s-multi] Add measure for memory distribution among child processes [Uns][[e10s-multi:+][MemShrink:P2]]
  • #1322656 [Core:CSS Parsing and Computation]-support Gecko profiler for stylo [Uns][]
  • #1345355 [Core:Widget: Win32]-Synaptics touchpad stopped working after Firefox 52 update [Uns][]
  • Like 2
BooBerry    2,671

Some webext work on api which is quite important and is supposed to land soon

- Bug 1340511 <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1340511> -
   Extend browsingData api for single site
   - Bug 1352653 <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1352653> -
   WebNavigation API Lacking the needed data
   - Bug 1273281 <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1273281> -
   Prevent extensions from changing security headers without a separate
   permission
   - Bug 1271945 <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1271945> -
   Add ability to handle user actions around the web search bar (and the
   location bar)
   - Bug 1276600 <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1276600> -
   Provide ability to apply custom filter for search results of bookmarks and
   histories
   - Bug 1280480 <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1280480> -
   Parental Controls interactions from Extensions
  • Like 2
bawz    54
2 hours ago, Lyraull said:

Or maybe you could be a bit more polite? :/ Having an opinion is different from being an opinionated jerk. :s

Just be a better self of yourself .:blush:

You will find other browser more suited for your needs then :yes:

im sure i will find a better browser which will be around longer than Firefox 57+ will be, , nobody forces you to read my comments.  i do believe there is a IGNORE feature on this board

• Like 1
ensiform    232

The one thing that concerns me about moving to webextensions is: What will happen to NoScript? Is Mozilla working with the NoScript team to ensure that it has full support under the new APIs? No-Script has always been better and more feature-filled than any Chromium based script blocking/denial etc.

• Like 1
bawz    54
Just now, ensiform said:

The one thing that concerns me about moving to webextensions is: What will happen to NoScript? Is Mozilla working with the NoScript team to ensure that it has full support under the new APIs?

you'll have Gorhills Extions ( the one that does Ublock Origin ) , he has a Extension called ( Umatrix )

BooBerry    2,671
3 hours ago, ensiform said:

The one thing that concerns me about moving to webextensions is: What will happen to NoScript? Is Mozilla working with the NoScript team to ensure that it has full support under the new APIs? No-Script has always been better and more feature-filled than any Chromium based script blocking/denial etc.

It's is being developed and work is being done to port it when webextensions api's land(new api's)

Support NoScript as a WebExtension

• Like 2
BooBerry    2,671

Firefox 57 Photon: new mockups

photon firefox 57 mockup 1

The new mockups highlight other parts of the web browser, including the activity stream, the library, and the compact mode among other things.

The first two mockup screenshots show the new Activity Stream page of Firefox. Activity Stream launched as a Test Pilot project initially.

These test add-ons are launched to collect feedback and telemetry data to make educated decisions about their future integration in the Firefox web browser.

photon firefox 57

The Activity Stream page has a Pocket "trending stories" listing. It is unclear whether this will only be displayed to Pocket users, or if this is displayed to all Firefox users.

Mozilla acquired Pocket some time ago, which means that it could be either way. Firefox users who don't want to use the Activity Stream tab page can install WebExtensions that modify the New Tab Page of the web browser.

You may also notice that the two Firefox windows on the screenshots above have different window colors. Mozilla might pick up the color from the operating system.

• Like 3
BooBerry    2,671

Firefox Compact Mode

Firefox compact mode

Mozilla plans to launch two compact themes in Firefox 53 (a light and dark one). The company plans to launch a touch mode and compact mode in Firefox 57. It seems likely -- but has not been confirmed -- that this new compact mode will replace the modes that Mozilla will launch in Firefox 53.

The mockup shows the differences between touch, normal and compact mode in Firefox.

• Like 3
BooBerry    2,671

Firefox new main menu

photon firefox 57 new menu

The main menu mockup shows the new menu structure. Mozilla plans to move away from the current, icon-heavy menu that is quite difficult to navigate and use.

The new menu displays an entry per line, and uses considerably less space than the current menu.

The menu lists more options than the old, and some, like the Web Developer menu, link to secondary pages with additional options.

Another difference is that you won't be able to remove entries from the menu any longer.

• Like 3
BooBerry    2,671

Firefox users may add entries to a new >> menu that is displayed on the left side of the main menu. This is the new location that users may add things like extension links that should not be visible all the time in the browser UI.

photon firefox 57 custom menu

• Like 2
BooBerry    2,671

Customize options

photon firefox 57 customize options

The customize screen looks pretty much the same as before. One change is that you cannot add or remove items from the main menu anymore as it is locked.

You may move the icons to select locations of the interface, including before or after the address bar, and to the new custom menu.

Firefox users who use the search will notice that the search element is listed on the customize page. This is an indicator that it will be still an option when Firefox 57 launches.

• Like 3
BooBerry    2,671

Firefox 57 new library

photon firefox 57 library

A click on the library icon lists several options. Users may use it to open the bookmarks, downloads, history and synced tabs, the Pocket list, and check out the recent activity.

Note that it takes two clicks now to display bookmarks or downloads. The classic library options remain in place however for the time being.

• Like 3
BooBerry    2,671

Sidebars

photon firefox 57 sidebars

The sidebars get a new menu that enables you to switch between them easily using it.

Source: Sören Hentzschel

Edited by Lyraull
  • Like 3
Max Norris    2,271
3 hours ago, Lyraull said:

It's is being developed and work is being done to port it when webextensions api's land(new api's)

Support NoScript as a WebExtension

Just out of curiosity, happen to know if the new APIs will give the developers as much control/access as they do now? For example, uBlock in Firefox is capable of blocking Javascript matching certain keywords.  The Chrome version can't do this, Google's flat out said they won't support/fix this. One of the many reasons I prefer to stay with Firefox... but I'm in the "if it's going to be a Chrome clone, I'll just move back to Chrome" camp. 

Boo Berry    2,264
16 minutes ago, Max Norris said:

Just out of curiosity, happen to know if the new APIs will give the developers as much control/access as they do now?

It's hard to say, but I'd not be surprised if the answer is no.

• Like 1
JUANMAS7ER    438

I liking those mockups, but the Firefox childrens edition cartoons are a big let down, i hope they are just part of the mockup itself.

bawz    54

still not usable on a smartphone IMO

The_Decryptor    1,105
17 hours ago, Boo Berry said:

It's hard to say, but I'd not be surprised if the answer is no.

It's hard to do efficiently, that's probably why the Chrome team is against it (And it's one of the main complaints about speed in Firefox with these content blockers, the HTTP stack gets blocked on content JS, one of the worst things that can happen)

Wouldn't surprise me if they added a "slow path" for it, while keeping the fast path for compatibility with Chrome. Or they could do something like Safari where they implement support for it natively.