Meet the browser: Firefox Next

+Zlip792

How to keep checks on fixes updates? Daily fixes....

bogas04

How to keep checks on fixes updates? Daily fixes....

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=23

keep track of "The Official Win32 2011XXXX builds are..." builds , they have the list in convenient form :)

+Zlip792

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=23

keep track of "The Official Win32 2011XXXX builds are..." builds , they have the list in convenient form :)

Thanks a lot man!!!!!!!!!

+Frank B.

Is this coming to Aurora?

Once the current Aurora branch has been promoted to beta I believe, yes. Firefox 5.0 b1 is scheduled for May 17th.

In the meantime you can just use the Nightly branch if you need the DirectWrite fix immediately.

+Audioboxer

Once the current Aurora branch has been promoted to beta I believe, yes. Firefox 5.0 b1 is scheduled for May 17th.

In the meantime you can just use the Nightly branch if you need the DirectWrite fix immediately.

Ah okay, I thought Aurora received the nightly updates after a week or something. Guess I'll just use nightlies then.

remixedcat

oh noes, please don't remove button borders!

+1

aznkid25

I don't get it. If aurora builds are getting daily updates, what is the difference between the nightly and aurora builds? My understanding was that aurora would be weekly updates.

1for-matik

I don't get it. If aurora builds are getting daily updates, what is the difference between the nightly and aurora builds? My understanding was that aurora would be weekly updates.

Well... I will be clear :

Nightly : Adds features

Aurora : Correcting bugs from new features

B?ta : Stabilize the whole thing

Release : Browser stabilized

vasa1

Hi azn,

I came across this:

Currently we build nightly rather than when something has changed.

We are supposed to only be building on Aurora if there is a change - that's what the spec says.

Sure, we should make this change but not the top priority.

Keep it on the list and not top priority. Until further notice, we are generating them every night.

over here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Aurora/2011-04-21

+Zlip792

I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Anyone know if there is a list of bugs to be fixed before the first beta can be released?

Read post 128....You will get your answer.

aznkid25

Read post 128....You will get your answer.

What I meant was is there a bugzilla page with a list of bugs, like there was for Firefox 4.

Kyang

Has anyone else with the Nightly had problems with embedded WMP stuff? I had the plugin installed for a long time, but only recently noticed that it's not working. I'm still being prompted to install it. 32bit nightly, Win7 64bit. WMP plugin doesn't appear on the plugin list after reinstalling it either.

ViperAFK

Has anyone else with the Nightly had problems with embedded WMP stuff? I had the plugin installed for a long time, but only recently noticed that it's not working. I'm still being prompted to install it. 32bit nightly, Win7 64bit. WMP plugin doesn't appear on the plugin list after reinstalling it either.

I haven't seen a site with embedded wmp stuff in years

Jen Smith

Same as above, I just never see it anymore, but a quick Google search found a test site for it -- seems to be working just fine here under Aurora dated 4-24, Windows 7. (Currently mobile on an x86 system, haven't tried Win7 x64 yet.)

--

On a side note, just for giggles ran a couple benchmarks versus a copy of the Chromium nightly I put into a sandbox quick.. Aurora beat it nicely. Loving this build of Firefox.

riceBox

I just created a "plugins" folder in FF's directory then pasted "np-mswmp.dll" in it.

Problem solved. (Y)

Kyang

Lol, the problem was the plugin's installer was putting it into my external drive for whatever reason. A search on my computer for the "PFile" folder where the dll was supposed to be, revealed the location. So I pasted it back to where it belongs, and now everything works. Thanks Ominous for giving me the .dll name that put me on the right track. Also thanks Smith for trying to help.

dnast

What I meant was is there a bugzilla page with a list of bugs, like there was for Firefox 4.

From what I understand, betas of new versions will simply start every six weeks as long as there are no showstoppers. I don't think there's really a list of bugs that will block the release of new betas like before.

dnast

Stylish 1.1.2

-Updated the toolbar button to act more like other toolbar buttons

-New default in Firefox 4 is to use the Add-ons Manager when choosing Manage Styles. The setting extensions.stylish.manageView is still available - 0 for add-ons manager, 1 for stand-alone dialog, 2 for sidebar

Edit:

Also, you can edit your styles through the addons manager, BUT NOT on the EXTENSIONS tab, but on the USER STYLES tab.

Sorry for the double post, but thanks for the tip. Not sure why they chose to default to switching you to the Add-ons Manager and bringing up a modal window. You can't even preview your changes that way and the preview feature is one of the main reasons I use Stylish.

grayscale

If you're on the user styles tab, then it won't pop a modal window.

torrentthief

I haven't seen a site with embedded wmp stuff in years

unfortunately there are still a fair few left unfortunately, quicktime too :( I wish they would all move to html5/silverlight/flash already so realplayer, wmp and quicktime can fully die a quick and painful death.

dnast

If you're on the user styles tab, then it won't pop a modal window.

Mine does with the default config. I'm using Stylish 1.1.2

Kyang

I'm guessing A couple work arounds would be to either, 1, drag out the add-on manager into its own window, then open up the styles thing, or 2, open up the manage styles window from the toolbar button.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Firefox 90.0.2
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

Beginning in 89, you’ll notice a number of changes, including:

Simplified browser chrome and toolbar: Less frequently used items removed to focus on the most important navigation items. Clear, streamlined menus: Re-organized and prioritized menu content according to usage. Updated labels and removed iconography.

Updated prompts: Infobars, panels, and modals have a cleaner design and clearer language.

Inspired tab design: Floating tabs neatly contain information and surface cues when you need them, like visual indicators for audio controls. The rounded design of the active tab supports focus and signals the ability to easily move the tab as needed.

Fewer interruptions: Reduced number of alerts and messages, so you can browse with fewer distractions.

Cohesive, calmer visuals: Lighter iconography, a refined color palette, and more consistent styling throughout.

Firefox 90.0.1 changelog:

Fixed a crash when using some accessibility clients on Windows (bug 1720696) Fixed busy looping processing some HTTP3 responses (bug 1720079) Fixed transient errors authenticating with some smart cards (bug 1715325) Fixed a rare crash on shutdown (bug 1707057) Fixed a race on startup that caused about:support to end up empty after upgrade (bug 1717894) Firefox 90.0.2 fixes:

Fixed truncated output when printing (bug 1720621) Fixed menu styling on some Gtk themes (bug 1720441, bug 1720874) Changed

Updates to support DoH Canada rollout Download: Firefox 90.0.2 for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 90.0.2 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 90.0.2 for MacOS | 126.0 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By zikalify
      Firefox 90 launches with SmartBlock 2.0 and Windows improvements
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has announced the launch of Firefox 90 today, bringing with it improvements to Firefox on Windows, software WebRender, and SmartBlock’s handling of Facebook trackers. Those on Windows also receive a new Firefox menu that helps identify compatibility issues being caused by third-party applications which could help boost Firefox’s reliability on your system.

Perhaps the feature which will affect most users is the introduction of SmartBlock 2.0 which enhances private browsing. In this update, Facebook scripts are blocked to stop tracking you around the web but if you decide to log in with Facebook on any website the scripts are loaded in a just-in-time fashion to make your browsing experience smoother.

People on Windows will also gain some nice features in this update. From now on, Firefox doesn’t need to be running to download new browser updates, instead, they can be applied in the background while Firefox is closed. Firefox for Windows also includes about:third-party (accessible from the URL bar) which helps identify any compatibility issues caused by third-party programs which could be causing issues in Firefox.

Since Firefox 67, Mozilla has been rolling out WebRender to more and more Firefox installs. With Firefox 90, users without hardware-accelerated WebRender will now be switched to software WebRender which has seen improved performance in this update. With software WebRender, even browsing with Firefox on a less powerful computer should be better.

Firefox should automatically update on Windows and macOS systems but you can force the update by going to Menu > About Firefox > Help. Those on Linux will have to wait for their package manager to update before being allowed to download the update. If you do not have Firefox, you can download it from the Firefox website.

• By Copernic
      Firefox 90.0
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

Beginning in 89, you’ll notice a number of changes, including:

Simplified browser chrome and toolbar: Less frequently used items removed to focus on the most important navigation items. Clear, streamlined menus: Re-organized and prioritized menu content according to usage. Updated labels and removed iconography.

Updated prompts: Infobars, panels, and modals have a cleaner design and clearer language.

Inspired tab design: Floating tabs neatly contain information and surface cues when you need them, like visual indicators for audio controls. The rounded design of the active tab supports focus and signals the ability to easily move the tab as needed.

Fewer interruptions: Reduced number of alerts and messages, so you can browse with fewer distractions.

Cohesive, calmer visuals: Lighter iconography, a refined color palette, and more consistent styling throughout.

What's new in Firefox 90.0:

On Windows, updates can now be applied in the background while Firefox is not running. Firefox for Windows now offers a new page about:third-party to help identify compatibility issues caused by third-party applications Exceptions to HTTPS-Only mode can be managed in about:preferences#privacy Print to PDF now produces working hyperlinks Version 2 of Firefox’s SmartBlock feature further improves private browsing. Third-party Facebook scripts are blocked to prevent you from being tracked, but are now automatically loaded “just in time” if you decide to “Log in with Facebook” on any website.

Fixed:

Various security fixes Changed:

The "Open Image in New Tab" context menu item now opens images and media in a background tab by default. Learn more Most users without hardware accelerated WebRender will now be using software WebRender. Improved software WebRender performance FTP support has been removed Enterprise:

Various bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the latest version of Firefox. See more details in the Firefox for Enterprise 90 Release Notes. Developer Information

Support for Private Fields (TC39 proposal, stage 3) is available in DevTools. The support includes: object inspection, autocompletion, expression evaluation, variable tooltips, and pretty printing (bug) The Network panel shows a preview of HTTP requests for fonts in the Response tab (bug) Web Platform

Support for Fetch Metadata Request Headers, which allows web applications to better protect themselves and their users against various cross-origin threats. Added the ability to use client authentication certificates stored in hardware tokens or in Operating System storage. Download: Firefox 90.0 for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 90.0 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 90.0 for MacOS | 126.0 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By zikalify
      Mozilla prepares for DNS-over-HTTPS rollout in Canada
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has announced that it’s preparing to roll out DNS-over-HTTPS for its Canadian users thanks to a partnership it has struck with a local DoH provider, the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA). The rollout will begin on July 20 and take a couple of months to reach all Firefox users in the country.

The first country to receive by-default DoH was the United States in February 2020. By encrypting DNS queries, Firefox provides its users with more security and privacy online. On July 20, 1% of Canadian Firefox users will get DoH switched on by default and this will gradually increase before reaching 100% in September 2021.

Commenting on the partnership, Byron Holland, president and CEO of CIRA, said:

If you’re a Firefox user in Canada, you’ll know that DoH has been enabled in your browser because you will see a pop-up near the menu button which explains that Firefox is now securely routing your DNS requests to CIRA to protect you while you browse.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      How to watch YouTube videos in picture-in-picture mode in your browser
      by Jay Bonggolto

YouTube's picture-in-picture (PiP) mode was initially available to premium subscribers of the service before it became live for some Android users. Most recently, the feature also came to YouTube for iOS in the U.S., although it's available only to premium members for now before making its way to everyone soon.

Most major browsers have added support for PiP on Windows as well, expanding the feature's availability from mobile devices to desktops. It allows you to watch a video in a miniplayer that floats on top of other windows at the same time. This guide focuses on making YouTube videos pop out in Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, and Firefox on Windows.

Microsoft Edge
      Play any YouTube video on Edge. Right-click the video twice. Select the "Picture in picture" option in the context menu. The video miniplayer should now pop out. Google Chrome
      Play any YouTube video on Chrome. Right-click the video twice to display the context menu. Choose the PiP option. The popout miniplayer should now display. Firefox
      Play a video on YouTube. Hover your mouse over the video and click the Picture in Picture icon that sits on the right side. The popout video should now play in PiP mode. The feature is available for free without having to pay for YouTube Premium. By default, after turning on PiP mode, the video shrinks into a small miniplayer at the bottom right of your screen. As usual, you can resize the floating window by dragging from one of the sides, although there's a certain limit to how large you can expand the miniplayer in Chrome and Edge.

On the other hand, you can resize the popout window however you like it on Firefox until it occupies the entire screen. You can also drag it into any position you want as well as play and pause the video.

If you know of other methods to watch YouTube videos in PiP mode other than the ones mentioned above, lets us know in the comments below.