• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mango Looks Yummy

giga    45

No no, it's not the FULL app. Devs can write specific parts that run though, probably following some presets and or hooking into the background API that will manage them. So like, you can write an app and have a background agent that checks for updates on it's own (without going through the push notification system etc). Or something else, I can't think of an example right now.

Joe said it's a middle ground between what iOS does and Android, you don't have free control and apps don't just sit there running fully but you have the ability to write your own background tasks that you need though the OS will control them/limit them so battery life doesn't go to hell. So it's more flexible than the preset background services apple has which you are limited to.

They said stuff like background audio and file transfer as well, but I figure those are things that are done by the OS and any app can use so you don't have to write those on your own.

Hm, are you talking about Live Agents? What I got from Joe's demo of the Qantas app was that the app and its corresponding Live Tile can be updated with local notifications (the alarm that he has a flight) and that the app could also update its Live Tile to reflect that.

I wish they'd update MSDN. :/

Prince Charming    163

Minor Mango tidbit - Mango Emulator will have the ability to do screenshots, built in. No news of screenshots for actual devices, however.

Limit-Studios    1

Minor Mango tidbit - Mango Emulator will have the ability to do screenshots, built in. No news of screenshots for actual devices, however.

At last still don't understand why this wasn't in from the beginning in the developer tools

BajiRav    2,137

Hm, I wasn't able to watch the keynote so I guess I'll wait until the details of the multitasking session are posted but I still have my doubts they would allow the full application code to run in the background. I mean, when is a user not on running on battery or have either Wi-Fi or 3G on? We'll see. ;)

The keynote should be available later in the day.

HawkMan    5,232

At last still don't understand why this wasn't in from the beginning in the developer tools

I don't understand this fascination with taking screenshots of yoru phone, yes, if you're a dev then being able to do screengrabs int he emulator makes sense, but that's about it.

Limit-Studios    1

I don't understand this fascination with taking screenshots of yoru phone, yes, if you're a dev then being able to do screengrabs int he emulator makes sense, but that's about it.

I agree with you there I don't really see a need for it for non-developers but for phone app developers like myself we have been waiting for this in the emulator for ages.

George P    5,556

Xbox LIVE Hub getting revamped with Mango?

My link

MS isn't talking about it but I noticed the updated look in the keynote as well.

mdtaUK    58

Windows has the Snipping Tool which is perfect for screenshots. The only reason this emulator screenshot capability may be useful is if you are testing on a screen where you can't fit the whole 800x480 screen to view.

Screenshots from the phone itself is more important

Xbox LIVE Hub getting revamped with Mango?

My link

MS isn't talking about it but I noticed the updated look in the keynote as well.

Microsoft have said they will separate the Games from the Application marketplace hub, so there will be a Games marketplace in its own right.

As for the Xbox hub itself, no idea, but the white background will take some getting used to from the green it is currently

~Johnny    397

Microsoft have said they will separate the Games from the Application marketplace hub, so there will be a Games marketplace in its own right.

As for the Xbox hub itself, no idea, but the white background will take some getting used to from the green it is currently

I did hear Brandon Watson mention that the games hub would no longer be "just a list of games" but a proper hub. As to what that means I have no idea :p Maybe they'll be integrating Xbox Live Extras as a native app as part of the hub?

HawkMan    5,232
one itself is more important

Why ? why would you need or want to take screenshots of the phone. ?

George P    5,556

Background services are user controllable in Mango.

My link

In essence, when a 3rd party app insstalls with background services (say a "FriendFinder" app), it also adds itself to this section. The user can then simply and easily toggle on/off if that background service runs. This is good if battery life is going to be a big concern and you don't want that app periodically checking for updates or pushing data, or if you just don't want it running.

George P    5,556

Ok, I got some info out of the keynote as far as marketplace expansion coming with Mango.

This map shows the countries where developers can register in the Marketplace. The current countries are green, the new are yellow.

mango-marketplace-sell.jpg

Countries able to buy apps

mango-marketplace-buy.jpg

?Brazil

?Chile

?Colombia

?Czech Republic

?Denmark

?Finland

?Greece

?Hungary

?India

?Japan

?Mexico

?Netherlands

?Norway

?Poland

?Portugal

?Russia

?South Africa

?South Korea

?Sweden

?Taiwan

epk    56

OMG Colombia gets support before Argentina does? I hate my ****** country :crazy:

lalalawawawa    59

OMG Colombia gets support before Argentina does? I hate my ****** country :crazy:

You're not the only one. But blame Microsoft for this.

HawkMan    5,232

Countries able to buy apps

You should clarify that these aren't countries that "can" buy, but countries that will eb able to buy when Mango comes out.

George P    5,556

You should clarify that these aren't countries that "can" buy, but countries that will eb able to buy when Mango comes out.

Well, ok, but the map shows all of them together in green not just the new ones.

HawkMan    5,232

Well, ok, but the map shows all of them together in green not just the new ones.

yeah, they should have done the yellow like the other.