• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The most annoying thing about doing a fresh install?

killmaster84    41

Google Chrome only exports to html :(

Turn on sync bookmarks?

LiquidSolstice    115

The IE8 wizard when it's first used...

Yeah, I used to always have to use IE to grab Opera, and I'm now totally hard wired to wait after clicking "stop" so that I can say "Ask Me Later". Stupid thing.

neufuse    4,111

I never got why other browsers didn't take use of the specialized favorites folder in windows and built their own management interface ontop of it

RATiO    13

I've sorted the bookmarks people - did an import of html.

Installing games again is very annoying too and setting them up to how you had them before

shakey    1,127

Doing a fresh install only to spend some hours putting it back into the state it was in before :p that is the most annoying thing.

• Like 1

Southern Patriot    941

Painful even with an SP version. Last time I did XP a while back before dumping it, older XP SP3 ISO, had about 100 or so updates. Plus several of which for whatever reason had to be installed separately. Updates, reboot. IE8, reboot. dotNET, reboot. More updates, reboot. Install Office/VS, updates, reboot. The ton of little tweaks/customizations that made it "mine". BLAH, gawd I don't miss that nonsense.

Oh, and don't forget the very first thing that comes up after an XP install: getting bugged about taking the tour. I always simply select the non-animated version and then close it, but still it can be annoying (I have one older machine still running XP because adding more RAM to it is out of the question).

Blaze_Zewi    51

Nothing. Windows default drivers are good enough untill a game or application requires it.

neufuse    4,111

I've sorted the bookmarks people - did an import of html.

Installing games again is very annoying too and setting them up to how you had them before

yet another folder in windows people need to take advantage of and backup..... the games folder

M_Lyons10    454

http://ninite.com/

It helps. A lot. Trust me on that.

That is a really cool site. Bookmarked!

LiquidSolstice    115

Thanks! I'll have to use that when I get around to formating again lol :)

Hope it proves useful for you :). I also found out that it can intelligently grab 64bit versions of Apps if it detects you're on x64 Windows.

Southern Patriot    941

Hope it proves useful for you :). I also found out that it can intelligently grab 64bit versions of Apps if it detects you're on x64 Windows.

Excellent. I was just about to ask you about that.

Jen Smith    117
yet another folder in windows people need to take advantage of and backup..... the games folder

I hear that, wish developers would finally open up the home directory and notice that it's there. Right now, got the built in Games, then for laughs lets add My Games, Saved Games, My Saved Games, EA Games, Microsoft Games (WTF Microsoft), and so on. Been around for some years, not a new idea. Stop polluting my home/documents dangit.

Paul Ferson    51

Thanks for the excellent site! I added it to my bookmarks!

LiquidSolstice    115

Thanks for the excellent site! I added it to my bookmarks!

Whoa. I swear, I'm not trying to sell Ninite or anything, or advertise it, but I was reading through the site and it looks like they even do a Linux version! @_@

http://ninite.com/linux/

App selection is limited, and with the package manager I'm not sure its even necessary, but still, pretty cool ;)

Seizure1990    252

Just wanted to say that OP made my day.

Did anyone mention Chrome's sync feature yet?

For me, it's reinstalling all my programs. Ninite doesn't even have half, and probably not even a quarter, of the apps I use.

Starbuck84    34

Have to try Ninite sometimes, looks promising.

The only thing that annoys me are the activation screens after installing all your applications. Some applications you even need to deactivate before you can reactivate them on your fresh install. Last time I formatted, half of my applications tried to activate and told me service temporary unavailable. My ISP was acting up again, so I couldn't do a whole lot.

And the worst activations are the ones you need to type over your key because copy/paste isn't allowed. So you're constantly swapping between your e-mail client and the application you want to activate. Thankfully I only have to it once in a long time, so no worries. But it sure classifies as an annoyance. :)

Riva    1,272

How about doing an installation that you sysprep and then copy to an external drive? Next time you mess it up you (backup your files first) and reapply the image.

As far as concerning Windows XP and updates I am not quite sure what you would expect from a 10yo OS

Jojo81    12

I used to do fresh installs all the time but since Win 7 I haven't really felt the need even after changing a few hardware components. I might do one soon just because I have disc with SP1 integrated I want to try.

Raa    1,583

Just installing drivers & programs really. That's about it. Even then, it's not that bad!

cleverclogs    292

The most annoying thing are program settings, I'm talking Office settings (custom dictionaries, save locations), event-sounds in Messenger, changing locations of user-folders to other partition... and various other windows settings, it's just time consuming and fiddly.

It's more annoying when you forget to copy roaming/local appdata folders and have to go back to a VHD image to get some specific things.

I use Windows Live Mesh now to sync my Photoshop settings / Office Autocorrect lists/templates / Favourites so it is becoming less of a chore, but still I wouldn't want to do it very often. I did my notebook this past weekend but thankfully I se it solely for work so there's limited softwares to faff with. I must say I was impressed by "Windows easy transfer" - it copied my start-menu settings/customisation, even my mapped network drive (though had to re-sync offline files). It also gives you a list of all the software you had previously installed, and checks what you've installed... even giving weblinks to the manufacturers page.

These days I'm also using softwares that don't have to be installed, so they can run straight away and have their settings in their own folders, total commander, utorrent, mplayerc-HC, ccleaner, and some other custom software I have, can, thankfully, be kept in their folder.

MtnDewCodeRedFreak    251

For me, I just save the booksmarks that's in the Favorites folder and then copy/paste the entire Favs folder in my flash drive.

Oh yeah, and the annoying thing is doing the Windows Update - ugh! Multiple reboots ad nauseam. (First I install Windows, then install Office, then do the updates.)

Glassed Silver    940

Redoing and remembering all the settings... Also I'm paranoid about applications or even me having stored data somewhere else than my backuped folders...

Oh and tweaks and personalizations such as windows themes, etc...

Glassed Silver:ios

still1    251

In your opinion, whats the most annoying thing about formatting your Hard Drive and doing a fresh Windows install?

For me its got to be re-adding all of my internet bookmarks. I'm doing it now and its killing me.

No offense but I had to lol...... bookmark sync and Import/export make that task easier and i am glad that you started this thread and now have a easy solution.

everytime you have an annoying thing to do you start a topic here and if there is a solution you will find the answer.

http://ninite.com/

It helps. A lot. Trust me on that.

Yeah its an awesome program.... I wish they add more common programs.

Can I convert Office standard trial to Office Ultimate? I have office ultimate.

riceBox    100

Reinstalling all drivers and apps, configuring everything back to the way it was set before, updating stuff, and transferring back files from backup.

Thank goodness browser now incorporate synchronization of bookmarks, passwords and preferences.