The most annoying thing about doing a fresh install?

lol you all do it the slow way, i just make an a basic image with all essential software ie: office, adobe, drives, updates etc and use windows live mesh to keep my entire profile in sync and never have to worry about backup and then just image the entire HDD, once i feel that my system is getting slugish, re-image ftw :p

Windows Update especially if you install a non SP version of XP

Doing a fresh (manual) install of XP & having to install updates/applications on pre-2004/2005 hardware for clients. Seriously... the advent of imaging hardware/software was a godsend. :cool:

lol you all do it the slow way, i just make an a basic image with all essential software ie: office, adobe, drives, updates etc and use windows live mesh to keep my entire profile in sync and never have to worry about backup and then just image the entire HDD, once i feel that my system is getting slugish, re-image ftw :p

I keep telling myself that I'll do that eventually, and then I don't bother :p

In XP the most annoying thing was waiting for that "Take a tour of XP!" popup to randomly stop showing up....

Slipstream everything with Nlite and tick it. You'll never see it again. Thats what I did, along with getting rid of the games, defrag, indexing, search assistant, and all the languages except english. And added SATA/raid/LAN drivers to the slipstreamed ISO

"

All the updates...(No, updates are not bad, just takes a while)

All the programs to install...(Flash, Office, Opera, 7-zip, Filezilla, WAMP, ect)

Does feel good after a fresh-install though

All the updates...(No, updates are not bad, just takes a while)"

This would easily have to be the most annoying, as it EASILY takes the longest.

As far as re-installing my programs, that's a piece of cake because then I'm not relying on MS updates to get done taking forever!!

Fully tweaking Windows to my liking would definitely be second most annoying/time consuming.

As OP stated it being reinstalling favorites, and others have said how to do that, that's not even a matter of taking more than a blink of an eye and not even worth mentioning! :whistle:

installing photoshop CS5 again..... and all the other required adobe apps. ewww.

also setting up media players the way i had em before. like my playlists and my EQ/DSP settings and the view and skins.

Browser settings and addons.

UXTheme patching.

drivers

It's not installing the programs + drivers (although that's a pain right there), but just configuring your system to the way you like it. I would probably grab a fresh image after you install + update

only annoying thing i can think of is remembering i forgot to back up a file after i had already reformatted :p

I don't think I've ever had a format+reinstall where I successfully remembered to back everything up.

Has to be restoring application settings I had before the format that is the most annoying, restoring backed up files/info to the registry, appdata, doc folders etc.

Windows 7, changing the start menu how I like it (Remove the crap, add run, disable highlight new installed programs etc

Ubuntu, enable the restricted sources. However, I rarely reinstall Ubuntu it is just the new installs.