• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The most annoying thing about doing a fresh install?

DKAngel    322

mines makign sure all my shares and streaming **** is working liek normal

JaLooNz    4

Adobe applications. The install is long enough, but worst still are the patches that require you to patch minor version by minor version, ie Adobe Acrobat 9 -> 9.1 -> 9.2 -> ....

Seizure1990    252

Adobe applications. The install is long enough, but worst still are the patches that require you to patch minor version by minor version, ie Adobe Acrobat 9 -> 9.1 -> 9.2 -> ....

Er, you do know that Adobe Reader has reached 10.x now, and that you DON'T need to update like that if you simply download the installer, right?

LiquidSolstice    115

Er, you do know that Adobe Reader has reached 10.x now, and that you DON'T need to update like that if you simply download the installer, right?

Adobe Acrobat is not the same as Adobe Reader.

kalkal    564

Installing Creative Suite CS5 and MS Office. Actually, all of the big apps to be honest. Even Nero.

Growled    3,881

The most annoying thing......everything. It takes me literally days to get things back the way I like them.

scaramonga    202

The most annoying thing......everything. It takes me literally days to get things back the way I like them.

An hour at most under Windows 7, providing you have made the necessary backups ;)

amon91    41

Installing Creative Suite CS5 and MS Office. Actually, all of the big apps to be honest. Even Nero.

Nero... do you need such a big suite to begin with? Not trying to go too much offtopic, but I thought there was too much of a reason to use it anymore, with all the free tools there are now.

acnpt    39

I used to have an unattended WinXP DVD, which would also silently install my main apps.

Made reinstalls pretty nice, preferred it to imaging actually.

Have a look into silent installs.

You could make a bat/cmd file to install those in a row.

REM2000    145

For me it's some of the icons, i forget about. But mostly the most annoying thing is setting up all the apps and preferences. Im not a massive fan of cloning, especially if im reinstalling, if im reinstalling then i like to do it from scratch, so i do lose a lot of settings etc..

However as it might be said already ive found that Microsoft have made some incredible adjustments to Windows 7 and in particular the registry and not having the dreaded Windows Rot. Ive found that Windows 7 is more robust, where i used to reinstall windows xp every 6months / year, ive found that there hasn't been any performance loss with Windows 7 so it's still there.

McKay    3,696

Remembering what programs to reinstall,

Watching Spotify slowly die as it syncs over a thousand offline songs.

Having to install about 80 updates (which Windows insists on restarting after every 5 or so)

dknm    11

:woot: Bookmarked! Thank you for the tip. It's the next big thing after slipstreaming a windows image.

Ryoken    1,004

The File/Folder that you knew you had to backup, but forgot about this time.. ( In my case, the last one was the NNScript folder for mIRC, I remembered the rest, but forgot it :( )

When you are lucky enough to remember everything this time, it's the Windows updates..

<20min to install Windows 7 SP1, 1.5-2hrs installing Windows Updates.. wtf lol.

The last thing is when you did a tweak to your old system, but you forgot how you did it ( It's somewhere in my bookmarks, along with half a million other pages I'm sure I wanted to visit again lol ).

All that being said, I rather enjoy the clean start, doing stuff better this time rather than the last, fewer trial and errors, etc..

somethingelse    0

When windows/office/creative suite decides it's been activated too many times.

Also the fact that even after a fresh install, IE doesn't really like responding to clicks.

epk    56

Activations can be a pain :(

Besides that the most annoying is having not only to install everything again, but also setting things up and restoring backups. Also, thank god Win 7 made tweaking a thing of the past! remember what it was like with xp?

Seizure1990    252

Activations can be a pain :(

It takes less then 30 seconds unless something went screwy.

epk    56

It takes less then 30 seconds unless something went screwy.

Like when you run out and have to contact them ^^

Growled    3,881

An hour at most under Windows 7, providing you have made the necessary backups ;)

Sure you can backup in an hour but I set my computer up just the way I like it, from the freeware programs to Office and Photoshop. It takes me a long time. It has to be just right or I am in a snit until it is. And nobody better mess with it when I finish with it either.

pyehac    0

Seeing my freshly installed OS going back to the way it was with my personalized bookmarks, programs, and settings.