HTC Ad suggests 16 megapixel Windows Phone on the way?

My link

A new HTC ad uncovered by Pocketnow suggests HTC may be releasing a new Windows Phone 7 device with an unprecedented 16 megapixel camera.

The handset will also feature a dual LED flash. Little else was revealed in the video, and Pocketnow notes the device pictured in fact appears to be the Android HTC Desire S, but with Windows Phone 7 buttons.

If this actually happens then I can see the handset costing a small fortune. At the same time though it would likely allow a lot of photographers to carry their phone rather than all the kit for an actual camera. I'm not too sure if it'd give the same grade in the end, but it sounds interesting just for the sheer amount of megapixels the camera apparently will offer.

What is the point in this, its not the sensor thats the limiting factor its the tiny lenses with the crap glass they use. They need to improve the optics before making sensors bigger.

To those who don't particularly know a lot about photography, they think the more pixels it packs, means the better photos. Not in all cases, and that's the problem, it's just a marketing strategy, to make people think they can take AMAZ-ING photos on the go.

To those who don't particularly know a lot about photography, they think the more pixels it packs, means the better photos. Not in all cases, and that's the problem, it's just a marketing strategy, to make people think they can take AMAZ-ING photos on the go.

^ This. If HTC thinks Nokia is going to have a 12MP WP7 device on the way they could be trying to one up them in the end.

If this actually happens then I can see the handset costing a small fortune. At the same time though it would likely allow a lot of photographers to carry their phone rather than all the kit for an actual camera. I'm not too sure if it'd give the same grade in the end, but it sounds interesting just for the sheer amount of megapixels the camera apparently will offer.

Uhh yeah this crappy camera will replace my dSLR.

Right.

Camera aside guys, how about the fact it looks like a Desire S but with the WP7 3 keys?

Uhh yeah this crappy camera will replace my dSLR.

Right.

A camera in hand is better than one at home :p (yea but phone cameras are crappy and will never replace my DSLR)

I just wish for a phone than can take night shots decently. No matter the MP count, almost if not all phones are lacking in this particular category.

And I'm not talking about pitch dark environments, just ones with lights dimmed or outdoor shots in the sunset hours...

I think most people are now aware that megapixels don't really mean anything when it comes to camera phones.

I don't have any real knowledge when it comes to the technology behind it all but wouldn't it be better to pump money into getting a brilliant 5mp camera phone before we look too go further than that?

When purchasing a new phone, one of the main factors for me is the quality of its camera. From my experience 8mp, 12mp only mean the image is bigger but still has the same blur covering at least 30% of the photo.

My current phone is the HTC Desire, I got it a year ago after trying the 3GS and being disappointed with little things like the volume control vs alarm volume etc (all sorted with the iPhone 4 presumably). The Desire camera has always been the let down on otherwise a brilliant phone when I compare it to my previous phone - the now ancient Nokia N73.