[uk] are you on 56k?

i am, the reason being that bt will not upgrade my exchange to adsl compatable till there is enought demand, currently at 68 registered hits and we need 250 for it to looked in to. chances of me getting broadband? none.

what are the reasons your on 56k?

Who is your isp?

My exchange serves three small dorset villages. We had 50 registrations, no chance of even a trigger level. After teaming up with a neighbour we managed to produce our own leaflets, this got us up past the 100 mark. BT are now printing up our leaflets.

With a bit of local publicity we've just gone over 130, and once we've hit 150 BT have promised to review our exchange. This is before we've got the leaflets from BT and canvassed every single village.

We weren't hopeful we'd every get anywere with our exchange. But with the results we've got over the past three weeks we've suddenly become a lot more hopeful.

With 250 to aim at, thats only 182 to go !!!

Oh, and in answer to your questions - I'm currently on Home Highway (now very cheap), and using a 64k digital line, which actually give twice the bandwith of a 56k analogue line.

I'm on with Virgin 24seven, currently costing ?13.49 per month.

I live in the big bad city of birmingham....

i got lovely broadband too :D 600kbps 24.99 a month :) if you cant get broadband then um... :s lol stand up for your rights!

for the first 6 months my exchange had about 20 registrations, then we started getting 20 a day.

i still don't have broadband though, not till i move house, i don't want to pay the activation fee twice

Same things happening where I live... We currently have 73 registered and need 150 before bt will look at us but we're doing the whole leaflets thing so we're hoping it will be here soon :D

Currently stuck on 56k dial up (Freeserve Anytime) so you can imagine who much I want this to go through, especially when we're surrounded by towns that have it when we don't :angry:

Anyway in conclusion just spread the word, cross your fingers and be patient..

My exchange just went live last week... I can get DSL but some neighbours cannot as it seems its a lottery on wether your phoneline is OK or not.

I am with Freeserve Broadband and get a nice 60kb DL speed ;)

hope you hit your targets soon... plus if you are on the boarder of ADSL with BT they are trialing a extended reach service which may help some of you that are boarderline on the service at present!

*Wants Broadband* im on 56k i get i nice speed of 10kb/s lol (freeserve) i think we have about 158 or sumat like that how do u check? ( 1st post mahiles welcome to neowin)

Isn't 7 KB the maximum for a 56 modem?

i.e. 56k divided by 8 = 7 KB

Correct me if I'm wrong people

thank goodness adelphia came through for me...

reason why i had 56k. well i had satellite too, but it's equal to a 56k.... because AT&T left my area and Verizon took over so we missed out on the roadrunner cable then verizon said we won't have dsl because no one wants it... so somone cam up w/ a petition and about 4,000 signed it... hmmm think about that.. let's say all 4,000 subscribe for a $40 a month deal.. that $160,000 verizon will make in one month. but we have over 80,000 in the city. and all this time adelphia was secretly working to bring us cable. it takes them longer because they had to physically change all the lines. then one day boom adelphia says "hey we got cable, you want it?" and of coarse they are ripping us of for $58 a month for a 2mb service. there is no compitition. besides those 4,000 that signed the petition... last i heard adelphia installed about 8,000

Vice king... that multi coloured animal/pokemon (:s) thingy seem to be running backwards lol

Indeed it does, hadn't noticed until you mentioned it :)

BTW VK what is it? Its very Jeff Minter'ish

That is indeed correct, 33.6 or thereabouts its in theory the fastest u can go on an anologue line but as most of the journey between ur pc and wherever ur getting the data is digital they can get a little bit more. With certain files like text files it is possible to get a transfer rate in excess of 7k but 6k is usually about as fast as 56k gets. And going back to the subject matter im on BT Broadband here, sharing my parents connection for free :)

Yeah, but if your modem and ISP support compression, you may be able to get a little more.