• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How to add a second keyboard language to my HTC HD7?

astroXP    8

I have been keeping track of an issue we HTC HD7 users have been facing since the launch of this phone model. For those of us who speak more than just one language, it is really essential to have our devices set to our needs. The HTC HD7 won't let you change the display language other than English (US) nor let you add other language dictionaries/keyboard languages.

cimg9372.jpgcimg9373j.jpg

It is frustrating when you type, for example in my case Spanish, another language and the keyboard will auto correct your words even though they are not misspelled. Yes, you could disable the auto correction feature but then when I do have to type in English, I won't have this feature although I can tap on one word and correct it that way. I read an article about this issue and that HTC took the blame for not adding the Spanish feature for its phones. An user provided a link to download a ROM in order to add the Spanish dictionary into the HTC HD7. [link]

Now, this user links a website where it shows you how to "flash" your device in order to install this ROM thing. Now about the "flash" part, is it actually referring to jailbreaking my WP7? I'd love to have Spanish keyboard and dictionaries in my phone and I'm kinda desperate to wait anylonger since HTC/T-Mobile hasn't update nor release this even though they promised (December 2010) to do so but at the same thing I worry about this procedure since I have no knowledge about jailbreaking (if that's what I have to do) (Source: Still no Spanish keyboard for the HTC HD7 on T-Mobile USA)

One last question, even though I can't add another dictionary (Settings > keyboard > keyboard languages) I do can tap on one key and hold for a sec and I'll get more letters. Does that happen in all WP7 phones?

cimg9370.jpg

Thank you very much for your help!

neo158    281

On the subject of the accent keys, that's standard on all WP7 devices.

On my HD7 as it's a UK version I have Spanish and German keyboards available, so I wonder if switching the region to UK and rebooting the phone would give you those extra languages.

Let us know if that works.

Roger H.    776

On my Samsung Focus i have like 6 different languages to add under keyboard:

English (United States)

French (Canada)

French (France)

French (Switzerland)

German (Germany)

Italian (Italy)

Spanish (Spain-International Sort)

When i select another one i can then press a key to switch keyboards.

astroXP    8

On the subject of the accent keys, that's standard on all WP7 devices.

On my HD7 as it's a UK version I have Spanish and German keyboards available, so I wonder if switching the region to UK and rebooting the phone would give you those extra languages.

Let us know if that works.

I changed it to English (UK) and even Spanish (Mexico) but it doesn't add keyboard languages. I think there's actually a file to be installed in order to get languages for the keyboard. In my entry post I mentioned about this guys posting some files that supposedly would install Spanish but I'd like to know how risky the procedure might be and whether that might require to unlock my phone.