WP7 and Neowin

Ok, I've been enjoying my WP7 on ever website except one - this website.

There is something really chewing up the CPU cycles when trying to make a post using my phone, there is some bearge of a javascript that is bogging down the CPU. If I set Internet Explorer to 'desktop' then the website works on when posting but if I have it set to 'mobile' the whole phone is bogged down and there is a massive lag between typing (slide out qwerty keyboard) and it appearing on the screen.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

This will not help you any further, but it works without any problems at an iPhone (3GS, 4.3.2, JB)

Yep I can reproduce this, using both fast reply and the full posting option.

When you go to press in the box, the keyboard pops up so you can type, but any typing you do doesn't appear for a few seconds at least. When it does show up, it is rather laggy.

That's on an HD7.

Waited for everything to load and still the same - when typing it just acts weird, like it's laggy but also the cursor doesn't move with the letters, it only jumps to the end when you finish typing... if you get what I mean?

But yeah still laggy.

another thing that bothers me on WP7 and Neowin is that when you are on an article, and click on the logo. it would just refresh the page and sometimes just go to the comments sectiong. shouldnt it take you back to the front page? i have to click on news to take me back to the front.

I found about this bug yesterday when trying to post. Man that thing was sluggish like hell, just thought it was weird but now that i've seen this post I know now it's not just me.

I found about this bug yesterday when trying to post. Man that thing was sluggish like hell, just thought it was weird but now that i've seen this post I know now it's not just me.

I have the same problem, i dont even bother with the forums on my phone

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone test something for me, disable JS (if you can) and try the forums on your WP7 device.

Forums only, main page I assume is fine.

Can someone test something for me, disable JS (if you can) and try the forums on your WP7 device.

Forums only, main page I assume is fine.

There's no way to disable javascript in WP7.

There's no way to disable javascript in WP7.

That seems like a big fail right there. :/

Why does a simple forum or website page designed for phones need JS and crap anyway. why can't it be a simple php page, that does nothing but show the topics let you post and do all that, I just don't see the need for all this fancy scripting in a phone based page.

Why does a simple forum or website page designed for phones need JS and crap anyway. why can't it be a simple php page, that does nothing but show the topics let you post and do all that, I just don't see the need for all this fancy scripting in a phone based page.

Because MODERN phones are able to use Javascript and not belly up. Mobile web is not the same as it was 3yrs ago.

Maybe if you're a hater but I've never disabled javascript in any browser and don't miss the option ;)

Just trying to debug it, to see if its the cause or not. (could be prototype just sucks in WP7, since the forums rely on it).

Just trying to debug it, to see if its the cause or not. (could be prototype just sucks in WP7, since the forums rely on it).

Yes, I appreciate that. My comment was directed at Chasethebase's unnecessary and unuseful negativity.

Maybe if you're a hater but I've never disabled javascript in any browser and don't miss the option ;)

I'm not a hater, but even if you find that you never disable it, here's a reason you would, and I'm sure a lot of people use it for testing. Sure not the majority but devs probably do.

Don't call me out because I didn't say anything of the sort to justify calling me a 'hater.'

Because MODERN phones are able to use Javascript and not belly up. Mobile web is not the same as it was 3yrs ago.

that may be, but it's still largely unnecessary, doesn't really add anything, and tends to make stuff slower.

sure on an iPad it can make sense, but on a phone, I just want to see the topics in a nice simple layout, and reply, I don't want fancy scripts and crap, they don't really add anything of value to the "experience" anyway. The site looks and functions like a plain no script website, but behind the scenes there are scripts that despite not doing anything fancy or necessary, just slows the website down and adds in random bugs. and it's not like WP7 is the only victim of this on the mobile Neowin. Though it has suffered most due to the old IE6/7 engine.

I find this strange, I've never experienced the slowdowns on my iPhone, could it be the connection speed or something? Are you on 3G when this happens, and can you confirm that these problems are still present when browsing with WiFi?

• 4 weeks later...

I find this strange, I've never experienced the slowdowns on my iPhone, could it be the connection speed or something? Are you on 3G when this happens, and can you confirm that these problems are still present when browsing with WiFi?

it's definitely not a connection issue.

Some mobile devices and browsers are just really BAD at scripting and large images.

Like the Nintendo 3DS browser. >_> Fails on scripts all the time.