So what was Windows Mobile 6 like?

M_Lyons10

Haha, modern smart phones need to catch up to WinMo 6!

Except in usability. lol Feature wise it was great. And with Microsoft's ramped up development of WP7, I expect we'll see a lot of that functionality make its way into WP7 in upcoming updates. Especially if they're going to try to get the corporate market (Which I'm sure they're after as well).

iamawesomewicked

WinMo 6 was a buggy/laggy POS and should have died in a fire long ago...

My old phone, hard froze on me 3 times in 6 months and I had to factory reset. And no it wasn't user error either. Just using it like it was meant to be used, and bam, frozen.

Davo

It was pretty decent for its time but it's amazing how badly it got owned when smartphones became popular. I remember being interested in them but ultimately choosing dumbphones until Android gained some traction.

DrJohnSmitherson

If Microsoft really stuck with it, they could have had like 90%+ market share! If I were CEO I would have had much more time spent on WinMo6!

• Like 1
M_Lyons10

If Microsoft really stuck with it, they could have had like 90%+ market share! If I were CEO I would have had much more time spent on WinMo6!

Well, WinMo did have some serious issues. It wasn't supported nearly enough and fell behind in the fast paced mobile world. It really is a great example of the need to constantly evolve a product. Touch screens became popular, as did music players in phones and WinMo couldn't touch what others were doing. It was outdated. There were no requirements on what sort of hardware OEM's could put WinMo on, so much of the hardware was underpowered... Because the UI wasn't very touch friendly OEM's attempted to skin the UI (Since they were allowed to do whatever they wanted really to WinMo) and these skins were often slow and poorly coded... Because all of the OEM's and carriers had their own version of WinMo it suffered from fragmentation (Similar to what Android is experiencing now), and updates, since they went through the OEM's as well, never came... It was good in its day, and the feature set was good, but it needed a lot of work to keep up and Microsoft didn't have enough people on it. It seems like they've learned their lesson with WP7 and are dedicated to the platform's success...

medium_pimpin

I had a Samsung Blackjack. Phone was okay. WinMo 5 ( and then upgraded to 6 ) were horrible. MS tried to make the look of the desktop Windows fit a tiny screen. I said I wouldn't touch WP7 because of how bad 5 and 6 were.