VCR Video Flickering on and off

Long story short, our old rear projector HDTV finally died. We ordered a 55" LG LCD TV that will be here tomorrow and are using the 32" LCD tv from my bedroom for the time being.

We cleaned up the wiring as the new TV actually supports HDMI (yay!)

Anyways, one thing we can't get to work is our old VCR. The video keeps flickering in and out (Audio remains fine). The video will play for 30 seconds, flicker off, and back on again. Does this with every video. Tried another VCR we had in the basement -- same thing

We have the VCR going into our reciever via the composite (red/white/yellow) which is hooked up to our TV via component (green, blue, red). Everything else works just fine.

Ideas?

I've seen VCR's do this before. It's usually due to anti-copying techniques used to prevent duplicating tapes.

Wait, I just re-read and you have composite video connected to component. Could be related to that too.

I've seen VCR's do this before. It's usually due to anti-copying techniques used to prevent duplicating tapes.

Same, if I remember that far back I had to use this little anti-Macrovision box to remove that just so I could run the video through my receiver.

Ideas?

BluRay, or at least DVD :D

People still use VCRs?

My mom has some random tapes (disney movies and such) she watches on occasion. She doesn't care, so we werent going to spend money to get the BR versions

My mom has some random tapes (disney movies and such) she watches on occasion. She doesn't care, so we werent going to spend money to get the BR versions

Do a transfer to a digital copy best of all it's free (assuming you know someone with the hardware or have it).