[DD-WRT] Setting up a wireless repeater bridge?

Question

spaaaace

Hey

I have two routers with DD-WRT installed on them. One of them is a Broadcom while the other is a Atheros.

Graphic time:

26163173.png

Basically I want to connect the Atheros to the Broadcom thru wireless and make everything and everyone see each other and access the internet. As you see there are wireless and wired clients.

DD-WRT's wiki and forum posts are unorganized to give straight forwared information in a clean and percise way.

I hope someone on these forums can help me out.

Thanks

alot....

13 answers to this question

Roger H.

Couldn't you do WDS instead? I forget if Atheros does WDS in the menus or something.

(Nevermind - Atheros/Broadcom WDS is not supported and prolly wont work :D

Anyways, for repeater bridge

First router setup and works just as normal.

On bridge log in, set IP address on Setup as something different than main IP (eg, 192.168.1.1 and X.X.1.2).

Go into Wireless setting and change connection to Repeater Bridge

In the same area ad the SAME EXACT info that's in the first router (SSID/Password/Channel)

Save and Apply (or just Apply)

That should do it and then it should reboot and then scan for the main signal and repeat it. This does kill your speeds however (if you have much of it - if not you'll still get say 10Mbps anyways on the othe router B clients).

I've used this wiki

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

and it worked for me.

+BudMan

yeah I would think WDS would be an option as well. here is a good comparison of the different modes

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeating_Mode_Comparisons

here is the info for setup of WDS

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

I personally have never had any issues finding information in the wiki - its a great resource! If you find something wrong - fix it ;) its a wiki after all!

spaaaace

Couldn't you do WDS instead? I forget if Atheros does WDS in the menus or something.

(Nevermind - Atheros/Broadcom WDS is not supported and prolly wont work :D

Anyways, for repeater bridge

First router setup and works just as normal.

On bridge log in, set IP address on Setup as something different than main IP (eg, 192.168.1.1 and X.X.1.2).

Go into Wireless setting and change connection to Repeater Bridge

In the same area ad the SAME EXACT info that's in the first router (SSID/Password/Channel)

Save and Apply (or just Apply)

That should do it and then it should reboot and then scan for the main signal and repeat it. This does kill your speeds however (if you have much of it - if not you'll still get say 10Mbps anyways on the othe router B clients).

I've used this wiki

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

and it worked for me.

I pointed out it was a Atheros because it doesnt support Repeater Bridge :)

yeah I would think WDS would be an option as well. here is a good comparison of the different modes

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeating_Mode_Comparisons

here is the info for setup of WDS

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

I personally have never had any issues finding information in the wiki - its a great resource! If you find something wrong - fix it ;) its a wiki after all!

As you see: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network#Broadcom_to_Atheros_WDS_Configuration_.28Unsupported.29

I havent tried it but it says unsupported.... Obviously this information is old as it recommeds using WEP :laugh: so....

Ill try now and see what happens (if anything)

spaaaace

Just set it up.....Lets see if it works :)

spaaaace

As thought, does not work.

(Im sure the settings are correct :) )

Roger H.

Hmm well what are you using then, which equiment?

Maybe you gotta get a broadcom router then... :)

spaaaace

Hmm well what are you using then, which equiment?

Maybe you gotta get a broadcom router then... :)

Well :unsure: I perfer not to, not because I have something again Broadcom but I just dont feel like sending it back, ordering another one, etc....

Not even sure if I CAN send it back.

Im sure there has to be SOME way :)

The reasons I got this was

1: Cheapest DD-WRT router

2: Detachable/upgradeable antennas

+BudMan

Its clear from these statements that you should be using the same chip based equipment.

WDS between different chip vendors (atheros, broadcom, ralink) will not work morst of the time since it's INCOMPATIBLE and no we will NOT fix it

. (However, if you are really desperate to give it a try, users in the forum have documented that this may work for certain hardware. Try at the peril of your sanity.)

Broadcom to Atheros WDS Configuration (Unsupported)

For the best WDS stability and performance, you should use the same wireless chipset on both sides, ie: Broadcom-to-Broadcom or Atheros-to-Atheros. That being said, multi-vendor WDS interoperability is possible but not necessarily guaranteed to work.

Its possible that different chips work with WEP because its done in software where WPA is done on the chip - is it NOT?

If your Atheros does not support repeater bridge mode, then swap them - maybe it will work then? Since you say they are both running dd-wrt, what does it matter which one is connected to your modem?

spaaaace

Its clear from these statements that you should be using the same chip based equipment.

WDS between different chip vendors (atheros, broadcom, ralink) will not work morst of the time since it's INCOMPATIBLE and no we will NOT fix it

. (However, if you are really desperate to give it a try, users in the forum have documented that this may work for certain hardware. Try at the peril of your sanity.)

Broadcom to Atheros WDS Configuration (Unsupported)

For the best WDS stability and performance, you should use the same wireless chipset on both sides, ie: Broadcom-to-Broadcom or Atheros-to-Atheros. That being said, multi-vendor WDS interoperability is possible but not necessarily guaranteed to work.

Its possible that different chips work with WEP because its done in software where WPA is done on the chip - is it NOT?

If your Atheros does not support repeater bridge mode, then swap them - maybe it will work then? Since you say they are both running dd-wrt, what does it matter which one is connected to your modem?

Well, to be fair, I never said anything about WDS: You said it :) I knew that WDS wasnt standard so I directly did not try it out.

My question is simply how to do repeater mode on this router :) Like commented, I knew about WDS but did not try it out. Since Ive gotten that out of the way and it does not work, Id like to try alternatives (I dont consider "swapping positions" a alternative).

SHoTTa35, I was anyways now looking for Broadcom routers and there is NOTHING in the range of this one :blink: We are talking (this is strictly a example), if this router cost 1$, Im seeing the closest one at about $4-$5....more than three times the price.

Besides this router and even if it doesnt have DD-WRT, is there any alternatives? I heard about standalone repeaters but not sure if there is configuration neccesary :unsure:

spaaaace

Well I did this:

85155573.png

and it seems to work.....I can see all PC and devices. I get upstairs 802.11n speeds (130) and downstairs around 30-40 which is good enough.

Roger H.

I thought you couldn't run a cable between them so that's why I didn't mention that. I figured they were too far apart or can't drill into walls or whatever.

spaaaace

I thought you couldn't run a cable between them so that's why I didn't mention that. I figured they were too far apart or can't drill into walls or whatever.

At first I couldnt but after some things, I saw this possibility being possible so I tried this out and it works pretty OK :)

+BudMan

Why was swapping the routers not an alternative??