Bad news for WP 7 -- consumer interest is waning

alexalex

Microsoft's big launch of Windows Phone 7 in November was supposed to rekindle demand for the company's lagging smartphone lineup, but a recent survey by Nielsen shows it failed. Fewer people are now interested in buying a smartphone with a Microsoft operating system than before launch, the survey claims.

The Nielsen figures : http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/?p=27418 come from an analysis of the company's monthly surveys taken between July, 2010, and March, 2011 in the United States. For the July to September 2010 time period, of consumers who planned on getting a smartphone in the next year, 7% said they planned on buying a Windows Mobile device, or an upcoming Windows Phone 7 device. For January through March 2011, that figure had dipped to 6%....

As for installed base, the news is also bad for Windows Phone 7 --- Nielsen says Microsoft operating systems (WinMO + WP7) have a 10% installed base, versus 37% for Android, 27% for iOS, and 22% for Blackberry. If the Nielsen survey of planned purchases holds true, the Microsoft number will shrink...

http://blogs.computerworld.com/18192/more_bad_news_for_windows_phone_7_report_says_consumer_interest_is_waning

post-376446-0-40453500-1303970724.png

post-376446-0-70094100-1303970743.png

post-376446-0-72925100-1303970761.png

Brian Jackson

These stats are all pointless until Verizon finally releases their WP7. Been waiting :(

Xahid

LOL

I just posted that news too !

macel

Pretty sure 1% difference is withing the study's margin of error.

George P

There's no real news here, move along please.

-=Outlaw=-

already been posted few days ago.

Tech Star

With manufacturers not releasing any handsets, of course interest will be waning.

Miuku.

Like most studies, it's US only so it's worth is about the same as the toilet paper I used earlier.

HighwayGlider

Go hug a tree.

What did the tree do to you?

Zeet

consumer interest will probably raise when the nokia models are released... and if the Asus model will be made for everyone.

Owen W

Oh look, moar FUD

Digitalx

WP7 still has a lot of work to do until consumer interest picks up. ATM it only appeals to the fan and developer. Until the features catch up to those of iOS and Android and hardware picks up it won't catch on till after 7.2 - 7.5 or whatevers next version with features which can kinda keep up.

PT 13

I've seen (and played with) an HTC HD7 and it's not that bad (not as good as Android though, IMO) but the thing is, I don't know ANYONE who wants or who owns a WP7 :|

DeadEndAccount

So hang on, a device released 6 months ago with one minor update and people are writing it off already? Good lord, any one remember the 'iPod is just a fad' and 'smartphones are not for mass consumption' etc. etc.

BajiRav

I've seen (and played with) an HTC HD7 and it's not that bad (not as good as Android though, IMO) but the thing is, I don't know ANYONE who wants or who owns a WP7 :|

I have a Focus and everyone who has seen it, loved it and would probably consider it over Android (a few people had Androids).

Roger H.

Wait how long did it take before Android got to where it is? I had a poor old G1 and that thing was sweet but nobody wanted one till there were tons of choices PLUS the OS caught up some more. Right now Microsoft needs to do some catching up for sure.

PS - it took the iPhone about 3yrs to actually become the king - Blackberry was still kicking their butts till this or last quater (or was it before that? LOL - in 2010 i know for sure though, the iPhone launched in 2007!)

idk_

Pretty sure a lot of their target market would still be in existing iPhone/Android contracts as Microsoft are late to the game. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next couple years as people come to choose new phones.

Hum

I have no idea why you would want Windows on a phone anyway.

articuno1au

You remember leading out of the Vista era, people wanted a computer that "just works"?

This is that approach. It's crazy fast, clean and pretty intuitive. There are no cheap versions, it just works. All the phones look the same as well :o

/shrug

I love my Windows Phone, it's great. I just want to be able to change my ringtone >.> Sooooonnnnnnn

DeadEndAccount

Because it isn't running Windows as found on the desktop it is running a customised Windows CE 6.0R3/7.0 hybrid with Silverlight.

Growled

I've nothing against the Windows phone and I hope it does well, but there was little interest in it anyway. Most of the interest was media hype.

George P

Interest on something new like a phone in this type of market goes up and down. There are lots of android phones no one really cares about either, so it doesn't change anything. And you can't be late to the game in a market that's always changing, people keep phones for 1-2 years and get something else, they're not buying a car or a house. Interest in WP7 will rise again when the next wave of phones come out, this dip isn't as much news when you keep in mind that they haven't released anything new besides the HTC 7 Pro on Sprint and Verizon is still being an ass about releasing the trophy.

As far as features goes and "catching up" MS will when Mango hits. There's lots of stuff in there and they've only talked about some of it. From what we know though I don't see the OS lacking in any area feature wise compared to the others with it. That means it'll have taken MS around 1 year to add things it's taking iOS and Android 2-3 years to do. This just goes to show that it's easier and takes less time to "catch up" than it does to "stay ahead"

I've said this before but from a user point of view what big great new feature did Android add going from v2.2 to 2.3? What big innovative thing will 2.4 bring? MS catching up will happen and it'll happen quicker than people expect.

c3ntury

Interest will increase and beat Blackberry's share when more devices are release I'm sure, oh and when Mango is released.

guru

Interest on something new like a phone in this type of market goes up and down. There are lots of android phones no one really cares about either, so it doesn't change anything. And you can't be late to the game in a market that's always changing, people keep phones for 1-2 years and get something else, they're not buying a car or a house. Interest in WP7 will rise again when the next wave of phones come out, this dip isn't as much news when you keep in mind that they haven't released anything new besides the HTC 7 Pro on Sprint and Verizon is still being an ass about releasing the trophy.

As far as features goes and "catching up" MS will when Mango hits. There's lots of stuff in there and they've only talked about some of it. From what we know though I don't see the OS lacking in any area feature wise compared to the others with it. That means it'll have taken MS around 1 year to add things it's taking iOS and Android 2-3 years to do. This just goes to show that it's easier and takes less time to "catch up" than it does to "stay ahead"

I've said this before but from a user point of view what big great new feature did Android add going from v2.2 to 2.3? What big innovative thing will 2.4 bring? MS catching up will happen and it'll happen quicker than people expect.

the problem is Mango is this year end or next year. MS is better off by releasing it by August :/ byt the time Mago hits it'll have catching up to do again with IOS 5 and Android 3.x