Microphone won't turn off

Question

Note: I put it in this section because I don't think it's a Windows or a hardware problem.

So my neighbour has this laptop that has a microphone that seems to be on constantly. It's most noticeable when listening to music because it 'makes that screeching sound.'

Disabling the microphone, or setting it's volume to 0, fixes it, however the moment it's turned on/up again it's listening again.

I've checked the settings, and Listen Mode isn't on, and there doesn't seem to be a program specifically requesting to use it.

I've restarted the laptop, disabled/re-enabled the microphone, and even turned off 'exclusive control by applications,' yet it won't stop.

Are there any possible 3rd party programs that might use the microphone in this way? I've checked both msconfig and task manager for anything unusual, but there's nothing there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Specifications are below.

Toshiba Satellite Pro L500 (PSLS1A-031002)

Windows 7 Home Premium x86

Pentium Dual Core T4400 2.20GHz

4GB installed RAM, 2.84GB usable

On an unrelated note, yet I thought I should mention it, when either the microphone or speakers are 'disabled' through Sounds they disappear from the list completely, and can only be returned by troubleshooting sound devices. Neither seem to show up in Device Manager either (at all, yet there is a single device named Realtek High Definition Audio that doesn't disable when the microphone & speakers are).

11 answers to this question

Might be a silly suggestion, but look for a button on the laptop to enable/disable the Mic? (usually on the front or sides)

Might be a silly suggestion, but look for a button on the laptop to enable/disable the Mic? (usually on the front or sides)

There are no silly suggestions with this kind of situation. However, there is no button/switch for the mic, or even for the WiFi...

There could also be an "FN" + Mic key you can press to enable/disable the Mic.. See if there are any logos that look like a Mic on the keyboard, if a hardware switch isn't available.

You need to mute your mic in the output settings.

While this is a good thing to do, I wouldn't say it's a long-term solution.

There could also be an "FN" + Mic key you can press to enable/disable the Mic.. See if there are any logos that look like a Mic on the keyboard, if a hardware switch isn't available.

Not one of those, for the mic, either. :(

While this is a good thing to do, I wouldn't say it's a long-term solution.

Not one of those, for the mic, either. :(

Your microphone doesn't need to be turned on in the output settings only the input.

Since there 'are no silly suggestions' --- maybe you literally have spyware.

Some bad program is turning on the mic to listen in on your friend.

Wouldn't hurt to run an anti-virus and rootkit detection.

If nothing else, try putting a piece of electrical tape over the mic hole.

Is there a mic setting in your output settings?

Sound - Recording - Microphone - properties - untick listen to this device.

That's unchecked, as it should be. One of the first things I looked at.

Your microphone doesn't need to be turned on in the output settings only the input.

While I think I should understand that something in that doesn't make sense...

Since there 'are no silly suggestions' --- maybe you literally have spyware.

Some bad program is turning on the mic to listen in on your friend.

Wouldn't hurt to run an anti-virus and rootkit detection.

If nothing else, try putting a piece of electrical tape over the mic hole.

I'll do a full spyware scan in a moment, but they are usually done automatically (every week) anyway.

Configuring sound levels in Windows 7 can be a bit confusing. I hope these screenshots clear things up.

There are two separate levels: Playback volume, and Recording volume. Turning down the playback volume will prevent sound from the microphone from playing out the speakers, but the microphone will still work in programs like Sound Recorder.

post-57213-0-96320900-1304079204.png

post-57213-0-67828500-1304079216.png

Configuring sound levels in Windows 7 can be a bit confusing. I hope these screenshots clear things up.

There are two separate levels: Playback volume, and Recording volume. Turning down the playback volume will prevent sound from the microphone from playing out the speakers, but the microphone will still work in programs like Sound Recorder.

~snip

Wow, I've never actually seen 'Microphone' listed in speaker settings. Already mentioned that 'Listen' is unticked, but I'll check those speaker-mic settings in a moment...

Well, that 'playback volume' option was there, so muted that and all is good now. I'm guessing that was added in SP1 or something? Because I swear I've never seen it before.

Edit: Also, sorry about the two accounts. Damn Facebook Connect. Who'd like to help me with that?