Pain in muscle above right elbow

It all started when I was trying to hand wrestle my buddy. Maybe my position was wrong and after all of it was done my muscle above right elbow was paining like crazy for about 3-4 hours. Then, the next day I went to workout but the pain gradually started increasing and became unbearable. Again, it lasted for 3-4 hours. Next day, played cricket and again it started gradually until becoming out of control.

I gave it about a 2 weeks rest and hoped for it to disappear. But then when I started playing cricket again just 2 days back, the pain came back again. I didn't play for too long so the pain wasn't too bad.

It seems it starts up gradually only when I do something hard with my right hand and lasts for about 3-4 hours at least. The area affected is always the muscle 2 inches above my elbow (Image attached). When I try to put pressure on it, while it hurting, it seems to ease the pain just a bit but doesn't help too much. In general (when I haven't done anything hard with my hand), on any given day, it doesn't hurt even after applying pressure in the affected area.

I've booked an appointment with a physiotherapist. Just would like to know if anyone was ever troubled by such a problem in their muscle?

post-234729-0-13369200-1304196179.gif

To much masturbating perhaps ? :p

It seems it starts up gradually only when I do something hard with my right hand and lasts for about 3-4 hours at least.

Go see a physio. My uncle is one, my guess is a trapped nerve.

I know you were just asking generally, but make sure you go and see a medical health professional because regardless of whatever we say on here, we cannot give better advice than them :)

I hope it stops hurting soon!

To much masturbating perhaps ? :p

Haha I was suspicious of that at first. But believe me, it's not because of that. :p

I know you were just asking generally, but make sure you go and see a medical health professional because regardless of whatever we say on here, we cannot give better advice than them :)

I hope it stops hurting soon!

Yup. I'm going thursday. I have a match tomorrow. Probably I'll sit and rest instead of playing.

Thanks!

Sounds like a grade II strained bicep; moderate tears of muscle fibers and/or tendon fibers at their attachment to bone. If grade III it could require surgical repair.

Speaking from experience, it hurts like bloody hell. I did mine in high school baseball - throwing a curve before I was fully warmed up. Also did a number on my trapezius (shoulder) working the ER - tried to stop a drunk from hitting the floor after he flipped his stretcher. Took me almost 8 months to recover. Should have let the SOB go.

I had the same thing happen to me once when I overworked my arms. Give it a long time to rest. I know you already tried a few weeks but give it more just try not to use it at all. And also see a health care professional. Mine went away after 3-4 days of rest it seems yours may be more serious if it has already been 2 weeks and it didn't recover.

Sounds like a grade II strained bicep; moderate tears of muscle fibers and/or tendon fibers at their attachment to bone. If grade III it could require surgical repair.

Speaking from experience, it hurts like bloody hell. I did mine in high school baseball - throwing a curve before I was fully warmed up. Also did a number on my trapezius (shoulder) working the ER - tried to stop a drunk from hitting the floor after he flipped his stretcher. Took me almost 8 months to recover. Should have let the SOB go.

Oh wow 8 months! That's a very long time!

I have a very important match coming up on Sunday which I really want to play. I guess I'll see what the physio's views are and go from there.

I had the same thing happen to me once when I overworked my arms. Give it a long time to rest. I know you already tried a few weeks but give it more just try not to use it at all. And also see a health care professional. Mine went away after 3-4 days of rest it seems yours may be more serious if it has already been 2 weeks and it didn't recover.

Yup. I'll get physio's advice and then see what happens next.

I was randomly researching and came across this condition called 'pinched nerve'. My problem could be that, or something else. But few of the symptoms of pinched nerve match what I've been having.

I've gotten pain in this area while working out, numerous times. It's especially noticeable when I'm doing curls or arm extensions. It's never excruciating, and rarely lasts more than a few days--but I'm not a serious weightlifter or athlete by any means, though I do weight-lift for toning. For me, I think it's just a matter of not stretching enough before lifting weights, and lifting more weight, with more reps, than I really should (sometimes I try to push myself to the next level, when I'm probably not ready to). Basically, it seems to be just a case of overworking and possibly straining the muscle. I get the same around my knee when doing leg presses.

Obviously your exam will tell you more about the problem and how to fix it, but for now I'll suggest what I do to avoid/take care of it, and it's simple: very thorough stretching before using the muscle, AND afterwards. Sometimes I rush through the initial stretching and forget to stretch afterwards, and these seem to be the times when my muscles give me the most trouble. Also, and probably more importantly: rest. If your arm is still bothering you the next time you go to work it, don't. I generally get my workouts in every other day, but if my arm (or other parts) is giving me trouble, I'll either give myself an extra day or two to rest, or focus on just my cardio and other muscles. Pushing your body never makes things better. Your arm probably AT LEAST needs rest, and time to repair itself.

And that's it. Very simple and pretty obvious.

Good luck at your exam. Here's to hoping it's nothing more than a strained muscle.

I've gotten pain in this area while working out, numerous times. It's especially noticeable when I'm doing curls or arm extensions. It's never excruciating, and rarely lasts more than a few days--but I'm not a serious weightlifter or athlete by any means, though I do weight-lift for toning. For me, I think it's just a matter of not stretching enough before lifting weights, and lifting more weight, with more reps, than I really should (sometimes I try to push myself to the next level, when I'm probably not ready to). Basically, it seems to be just a case of overworking and possibly straining the muscle. I get the same around my knee when doing leg presses.

Obviously your exam will tell you more about the problem and how to fix it, but for now I'll suggest what I do to avoid/take care of it, and it's simple: very thorough stretching before using the muscle, AND afterwards. Sometimes I rush through the initial stretching and forget to stretch afterwards, and these seem to be the times when my muscles give me the most trouble. Also, and probably more importantly: rest. If your arm is still bothering you the next time you go to work it, don't. I generally get my workouts in every other day, but if my arm (or other parts) is giving me trouble, I'll either give myself an extra day or two to rest, or focus on just my cardio and other muscles. Pushing your body never makes things better. Your arm probably AT LEAST needs rest, and time to repair itself.

And that's it. Very simple and pretty obvious.

Good luck at your exam. Here's to hoping it's nothing more than a strained muscle.

Thanks, and mine just started after hand wrestling my friend. When I go workout or play cricket, I usually do a nice warm up.

So I went to the physio and he said I've strained or torn my subcapularis muscle.

Subcapularis Link

He asked me to try playing cricket but if the pain starts coming back, I should stop and put ice packs.

He's given me some exercises to work with and asked me to come back in 2 weeks. He should have the Ultrasound results by then.