Circumcision at birth - Your opinion

278 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you?

• Circumcised - Against banning
    • Circumcised - For banning
    • Uncircumcised - Against banning
    • Uncircumcised - For banning

I personally have no doubt that it's cleaner, but people apparently like to pick and choose their sources, conveniently ignoring that there are others that contradict theirs.

That's why I try to avoid the issue. Some say it helps, some say it doesn't... In the end, it doesn't matter to me, because I think the matter of religious freedom is a big enough reason in its self, and one that isn't dependent on confusing scientific studies.

I kind of assumed that if it could be merged, it would have been... maybe the fact that it has a poll makes it hard/impossible?

Do you think it is a technical matter then? I don't know. Could be!

cutting your dick is a lil bit different from a pierced tongue.Religious folks can do whatever they want with their penis.The response "he is my son i decide to cut his genitals" is against human rights.I honestly can't understand how people can't see this.What if i'd say my religion requires me to cut my daughter's ear lobs.Would that be ok

Probably should take a grammar class and no, it is a religious belief. If it is not part of what you believe or if your religion dictates the practice then 2 each his own.

I personally have no doubt that it's cleaner, but people apparently like to pick and choose their sources, conveniently ignoring that there are others that contradict theirs.

That's why I try to avoid the issue. Some say it helps, some say it doesn't... In the end, it doesn't matter to me, because I think the matter of religious freedom is a big enough reason in its self, and one that isn't dependent on confusing scientific studies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_analysis_of_circumcision#Positions_of_major_health_organizations

You personally have no doubt because you ignore the entire world's evidence. Everyone go read that. Again.

I would do it because I'm Jewish and I want my son to be Jewish.

Good enough reason right there.

Let me quote it again, since a couple people didn't seem to fully comprehend the meaning (including iamawesome, who in his genius, only seemed to read the part that supported him, and completely ignored the opposite end. Excellent debating skills, I must say!)

First bold part, as in, they can't recommend it for medical reasons. They didn't say religious. Secondly, the next bold section, they specifically state there isn't any evidence to argue against it, ie, it isn't harmful in any meaningful way.

The fact that you're Jewish is a terrible reason to cut off a part of your penis. F*cking ridiculous. I'M A SHEEP AND DO EVERYTHING MY RELIGION TELLS ME TO DO INCLUDING CUTTING OFF A PART OF MY PENIS. Real display of intelligence there. Really.

As for the fact that they didn't say religious... THAT IS THE POINT. MEDICAL REASONS SUPERCEDE ANY B*LLSHIT RELIGIONS TELL PEOPLE TO GO THROUGH. In our civilized world we give up ridiculous religious practices and instead let science and ethics decide what is best for humanity. The reason religious reasons have not been mentioned is because they do not matter. Our laws on human rights are not decided based on religion, and therefore it does not matter what a religion may preach. Circumcision should be flat out illegal except for specific medical reasons, and of course when a person reaches consensual age.

And if I really wanted, I'm sure I could also find an org. that actually supported circumcision. Yes, I can use search engines. We all can, I think.

So if you want to base all your arguments on "such-and-such organization said...", then there, your argument was just tossed. Now move on to other points. holy crap.

IMHO, aborting your child for reasons other then the mother being endangered makes you a bad person. Guess we should ban it.

Boy, things sure are easier when we can make laws based on opinions!

Don't be stupid. These are leading paediatric organizations that dictate the healthcare that is performed in many countries around the world. The claim that you can find evidence that states the contrary doesn't matter, because it won't be coming from the leading paediatric organizations of the world. I put my trust in 1st world healthcare guidelines and regulations, and it's flat-out saying circumcisions should not be performed. This is the bottom line, there is no room to argue. You look like an idiot saying "Well I can Google too".

I don't think you understand the issue here. A mother who wants to perform an abortion(which is her body) is a person in consensual age. A baby or child is not in consensual age. The difference here is so stupidly obvious and staggering, but I'm not surprised you completely fail to notice it. Your arguments haven't been based in logic at all.

Wow... really there should be another poll.... Anyone uncircumsized neowinians here with health problems due to not being circumsized?

This is a useless debate, there is no reason to be circumsized because there is no proven benefit to it.... anyone who tries to justify getting this operation or doing it for their child is just lying to themselves....

... end thread

Wow... really there should be another poll.... Anyone uncircumsized neowinians here with health problems due to not being circumsized?

This is a useless debate, there is no reason to be circumsized because there is no proven benefit to it.... anyone who tries to justify getting this operation or doing it for their child is just lying to themselves....

... end thread

There is the POTENTIAL. That, and there are several medical studies that support it. Take a look around and do some research before running off at the mouth.

Probably should take a grammar class and no, it is a religious belief. If it is not part of what you believe or if your religion dictates the practice then 2 each his own.

if the religion dictates you can do whatever you want with your own body not someone elses..And seriously if you don't like what i have to say just say it, don't be a grammar cop.

if the religion dictates you can do whatever you want with your own body not someone elses..And seriously if you don't like what i have to say just say it, don't be a grammar cop.

Just making a point. I guess you could blame it on your parents' belief of whatever religion they follow(ed) when you were born as to whether or not you were circumcised. Like I said, 2 each his own (choice or not I guess).

Seriously, a grammar cop in a circumcision thread? That's just not right. :no:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_analysis_of_circumcision#Positions_of_major_health_organizations

You personally have no doubt because you ignore the entire world's evidence. Everyone go read that. Again.

Because only the evidence that you show is worth listening to, right? To hell with any other sources I might be able to bring to the table! they don't agree with you, after all! Hahaha! I'm not even going to bother quoting the org. that I've been showing off, which says the opposite of you, because there isn't any point. This portion of the discussion is boring, and useless, and Im not going to drag it out. Yeesh.

The fact that you're Jewish is a terrible reason to cut off a part of your penis. F*cking ridiculous. I'M A SHEEP AND DO EVERYTHING MY RELIGION TELLS ME TO DO INCLUDING CUTTING OFF A PART OF MY PENIS. Real display of intelligence there. Really.

As for the fact that they didn't say religious... THAT IS THE POINT. MEDICAL REASONS SUPERCEDE ANY B*LLSHIT RELIGIONS TELL PEOPLE TO GO THROUGH. In our civilized world we give up ridiculous religious practices and instead let science and ethics decide what is best for humanity. The reason religious reasons have not been mentioned is because they do not matter. Our laws on human rights are not decided based on religion, and therefore it does not matter what a religion may preach. Circumcision should be flat out illegal except for specific medical reasons, and of course when a person reaches consensual age.

I bolded the parts that are your personal opinion for you, since you seem to be having trouble separating them from fact.

Also, hahaha. YOu just told me that religion isn't something we should be basing our laws off, and then said ethics is. Do you even realize how vague and meaningless, not to mention varying between communities and people, "ethics" are? What a joke.

Don't be stupid. These are leading paediatric organizations that dictate the healthcare that is performed in many countries around the world. The claim that you can find evidence that states the contrary doesn't matter, because it won't be coming from the leading paediatric organizations of the world. I put my trust in 1st world healthcare guidelines and regulations, and it's flat-out saying circumcisions should not be performed. This is the bottom line, there is no room to argue. You look like an idiot saying "Well I can Google too".

How do I look like an idiot? You're pulling links out of your ass, as if that means anything like you're the person who was sitting in the lab crunching numbers in the first place. I've posted sources to PERFECTLY RESPECTABLE organizations that say differently, so no, I don't look like an idiot. You just refuse to beleive that a medical organization actually disagrees with you.

I don't think you understand the issue here. A mother who wants to perform an abortion(which is her body) is a person in consensual age. A baby or child is not in consensual age. The difference here is so stupidly obvious and staggering, but I'm not surprised you completely fail to notice it. Your arguments haven't been based in logic at all.

Many would say that the baby in her womb is already a living person, and deserving of all the rights that newborn baby is. For someone who's so hard up about "ethics" and human rights, I love how you're marginalizing the unborn babies.

There is the POTENTIAL. That, and there are several medical studies that support it. Take a look around and do some research before running off at the mouth.

There is a potential for a lot of stuff, just because it can happend doesnt mean we should do it. There are far more medical studies and proofs found that in this day and age that circumcision does more harm then good, take a look at some of the previous posts, because it was listed how many organizations (which actually has credibility) did not support this practice.

There is a potential for a lot of stuff, just because it can happend doesnt mean we should do it. There are far more medical studies and proofs found that in this day and age that circumcision does more harm then good, take a look at some of the previous posts, because it was listed how many organizations (which actually has credibility) did not support this practice.

That is not true at all.

Scientific American

Centers For Disease Control

World Health Organization (UN)

The Lancet

Journal Of The American Medical association

National Institute for Health (UK)

That is just some of the most respected medical and scientific organizations in the world of which the majority agree that male circumcision is highly effective in preventing the spread of HIV and other STD's. There are risk to every procedure but to claim no health benefits to circumcision is an out right lie that numerous peer reviewed scientific studies contradict.

As I have stated I have mixed feelings on the practice on infants but to claim no health benefits is just plain wrong.