New install of Windows 7 looking for solid safe advice

There were 6 small registry tweaks I did from the Tweakhound site, which I trust completely. he says leave well enough alone too but these 6 reg tweaks are the only ones he uses AND I can always edit the entries and back out. What do you think?

----------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Make start menu snappier, end hung apps faster

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

"MenuShowDelay"="200"

"HungAppTimeout"="4000"

"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="5000"

; NTFS, Disable 8.3 names and Last Access (speeds up disk access)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]

"NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"=dword:00000001

"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001

; Specifies the time, following user input, during which the system keeps apps from moving into the foreground.

"ForegroundLockTimeout"=dword:00000000

; Faster Shutdown, may cause an error at shutdown with misbehaving apps (ZoneAlarm 7 is one)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]

"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="5000"

; Disable Low disk space checks

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001

; Set CPU Priority

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]

"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000026

---------------------------------------------------------

If I should back out of these what should I change the settings to?

Thanks,

Joe

Since this is the only "tweak" I did can someone please give me the values to return these to default?

Thanks,

Yep. Like UAC works. I deal with spyware/virus infections that bypass it all of the time. Get a good antivirus package/suite and Sandboxie and be wise as to which sites you browse and files that you download.

I very much doubt people can.

You can't sit there and say "I didn't want you to call me an idiot when I did something idiotic". You did something idiotic, that makes you (by all measurements available to me) an idiot.

The first block won't hurt you to keep.

Second block is just.. Holy Christ, generally it should be set to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"=dword:00000002
"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000000     (1 if you have a solid state disk.)

"ForegroundLockTimeout"=dword:00200000     (not to much of an issue. You can leave this out if you want)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="12000"      (this can cause documents not to save correctly on shutdown etc etc)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001    (You have to delete this hkey to fix it. BAD IDEA. VERY BAD IDEA).

; Set CPU Priority
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]
"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000002

Happy? I'm sure you will be able to find the keys using regedit.. Have fun.

For future reference, don't execute scripts you don't understand.

See that's the kind of inpurt that I do not need. As I said I trust Tweakhound. He is recommended by HUNDREDS of Neowinains. But the big problem I have is not that I ran the script but you never told me how to back out of it. What values should I replace to return it to normal?

Thanks,

Actually, not to be to blunt about it, but what he said was exactly what you needed to hear. If you don't know EXACTLY what those settings will do, and how they will interact with other things, then leave them the **** alone. Hell, people at Microsoft have even admitted that they can't always tell how changing one setting will affect other things in the system. Do you honestly think you know more than the people who write the software? If you think that, then you are both arrogant and foolish.

Yep. Like UAC works. I deal with spyware/virus infections that bypass it all of the time. Get a good antivirus package/suite and Sandboxie and be wise as to which sites you browse and files that you download.

UAC is NOT meant to be a replacement for antivirus and/or spyware removal tools. It complements them.

It's designed to address user stupidity.

It's to stop users downloading an MP3 file that finishes with .exe and running it.

It's to stop applications and such making changes to settings without your permission.

Last but not least, there is no way to bypass UAC with admin privileges for the thread.

@roadwarrior - High-5 for first agreement ;)

It does work. Go spread your misinformation somewhere else.

Actually, not to be to blunt about it, but what he said was exactly what you needed to hear. If you don't know EXACTLY what those settings will do, and how they will interact with other things, then leave them the **** alone. Hell, people at Microsoft have even admitted that they can't always tell how changing one setting will affect other things in the system. Do you honestly think you know more than the people who write the software? If you think that, then you are both arrogant and foolish.

UAC is NOT meant to be a replacement for antivirus and/or spyware removal tools. It complements them.

I know it is not meant to be a replacement for proper security measures and no, it does not compliment them. Hence my post. It doesn't work. I see the evidence on a daily basis.

It does work. Go spread your misinformation somewhere else.

No it doesn't.

Turn off unneeded services. Use the built in tweaking ability under Advanced system settings.

*facepalm* Don't listen to this guy, whatever you do. Your computer will be better off for it.

I know it is not meant to be a replacement for proper security measures and no, it does not compliment them. Hence my post. It doesn't work. I see the evidence on a daily basis.

No it doesn't.

You are mistaking users accepting changes with the system not detecting the changes.

UAC works and works fine.

Kindly consider the difference between a user not knowing how to use their system and the system not working.

No it doesn't.

It's amazing that people are actually debating something as basic and fundamental as the effectiveness of UAC. It's even more amazing that someone would actually turn it off.

Unless you have some horribly written application that needs local admin access all the time, never turn off UAC in Windows 7. In fact, I don't even recommend it for that, use XP mode for broken apps.

For the love. I never said to turn it off. I was just stating a FACT that it doesn't work. I have students EVERYDAY that have it enabled but have spyware infections on their laptops. I always ask the question "what were you doing when it happened?". I always get the same answer. "I was browsing such and such a website and it just popped up". I have had them sit there and duplicate the problem. UAC does not work.

Ok, I think this topic is done. I took the advice of some here and did some legwork over at Microsoft Technet and got all the defaults and info on what all those entries do and fixed them all. Tweakhound wasn't too off, for his own purposes I guess, but I will keep things at their default for a long while and see if Windows 7 optimizes itself as it is advertized too.

Thanks for all the help and the push to learn some of this registry stuff.... not too much to get me in trouble though I hope... lol

I don't use UAC because I know what I am doing and hate having to wait.

For new users, yeah, UAC is a must have.

XP Mode has a ton of limitations tbh. I'd avoid it due to it having full read write access to everything.. :\

Oh and BTW, I went to Intel and got the latest Intel? Chipset Device Software installer for my chipset and the installer went through it's extraction phase then went right to finifhsed. Intel explains that this means the drivers installed are equal or newer than the ones in the installer so I guess the chipset drivers are up to date.

Thanks,

Yeah, Microsoft will have the latest ICH drivers for everything prior to ICH9.

It's important to have the latest ICH drivers, they make a huge difference.

They give Windows access to different registers etc etc.

QFT.

Oh and BTW, I went to Intel and got the latest Intel? Chipset Device Software installer for my chipset and the installer went through it's extraction phase then went right to finifhsed. Intel explains that this means the drivers installed are equal or newer than the ones in the installer so I guess the chipset drivers are up to date.

Thanks,

Sorry to have sidetracked your OP BTW.

No it doesn't.

There's a bit of a difference between a user clicking "yes" and UAC working.

Turn off unneeded services. Use the built in tweaking ability under Advanced system settings.

Right, when you're using XP, that's what's probably needed. When you're ready to use what just came out (you know, looking at the title and seeing "Windows 7" in it might be a clue) you'll be ready to talk about the OP's topic.

There's a bit of a difference between a user clicking "yes" and UAC working.

Right, when you're using XP, that's what's probably needed. When you're ready to use what just came out (you know, looking at the title and seeing "Windows 7" in it might be a clue) you'll be ready to talk about the OP's topic.

Did you even read my post? I have been able to duplicate the scenario where said "users" didn't click "yes" and the spyware/virus installed anyway (with proper protection).

Did you even read my post? I have been able to duplicate the scenario where said "users" didn't click "yes" and the spyware/virus installed anyway (with proper protection).

"You use a helmet when riding a bicycle to ensure that if you fall, you have that extra protection to keep you as uninjured as possible."

"o yea!?!? well i know a kid who never ever wears his helmet and he's JUST fine. that must mean that helmets are useless lololol!!!"

^This.

Then that means it executed through an existing applied thread like Internet Explorer.

The problem is, the user allowed it in some way, either by browsing to a ****tarded site or clicking "Install addon".

UAC is not designed to monitor executing threads like IE.

I note you aren't bothering to respond to me.

By the way, despite the childish nature of his metaphors, he is right.

UAC works fine.

Then that means it executed through an existing applied thread like Internet Explorer.

The problem is, the user allowed it in some way, either by browsing to a ****tarded site or clicking "Install addon".

UAC is not designed to monitor executing threads like IE.

Really? I have used FF, Chrome and Opera with the same results.