Are You Still Using Windows XP?

Continued Use of Windows XP  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Still Using Windows XP?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Why Are You Still Using XP?

• I don't use it (I answered No to the previous question)
    • Computer's too slow
    • Some software still doesn't work
    • Just not a fan of Vista/7
    • Don't want to pay to upgrade yet
    • Virtual Machine
    • Other

I was just looking through the forum and I was thinking, "I wonder who's still using XP." I figured I'd create this poll to find out who's still using it and why.

EDIT: Added VM option.

VM only, purely for backwards compatibility testing for some old code I'm contractually required to take care of for a while yet. Otherwise, hell no, not even if you paid me.

Neowin users is usually more up-to-date with OSes than the average user or business. That being said, I can't see XP being used a whole lot anymore for everyday purposes with the users here.

I've got this ancient PC which used to run XP. I put Debian with XFCE on it though... and it's doing its job just fine.

I've also got a good Notebook from my work with Win7 on it, but most of my programming is done with Linux... Mono, ASM and PHP.

Not using it per say but we do at work. Dunno why :wacko: but it drives me nuts!

QFT.

Looking at your signature, "Did you get the virus from Kazaa?"

Not using it per say but we do at work. Dunno why :wacko: but it drives me nuts!

We still use XP at my school. We have 4 computers in the library with Windows 7. They're so much faster than the XP machines.

I've got this ancient PC which used to run XP. I put Debian with XFCE on it though... and it's doing its job just fine.

Same situation in my home, we have an older computer that we used to run with Windows 2000 and XP. I threw Debian with Gnome on it and it works fine.

We still use XP at my school. We have 4 computers in the library with Windows 7. They're so much faster than the XP machines.

Yeah, cause Operating Systems are the only factor that make computers "fast". :rolleyes:

Yeah, cause Operating Systems are the only factor that make computers "fast". :rolleyes:

They can. In this case, Win7 doesn't suffer from the Windows Rot XP does. I have yet to reinstall Win 7 since RTM. I had to reinstall XP every few months. :/

I'm sure it's an illusion, but these are brand new computers (the same we use in another lab). Both the 7 boxes and new XP boxes have the same hardware, just different OSes. The ones with 7 are much, much better.

They can. In this case, Win7 doesn't suffer from the Windows Rot XP does. I have yet to reinstall Win 7 since RTM. I had to reinstall XP every few months. :/

Same, I got this computer in December 2009. This is the original Dell factory install and I haven't reinstalled since 2009.

Why did you ask this question? :( The amount of unrequited hate you're about to get for asking people this is going to be crazy.

Why did you ask this question? :( The amount of unrequited hate you're about to get for asking people this is going to be crazy.

It's just a question I asked out of curiosity, because my grandma got a brand new computer for her work, but it came with Windows XP. It's an HP ProBook, with a Windows 7 COA.

Windows 7 has a half life of 18 months.

XP had 6.

And these aren't concrete numbers, just generally accepted impressions.

It's just a question I asked out of curiosity, because my grandma got a brand new computer for her work, but it came with Windows XP. It's an HP ProBook, with a Windows 7 COA.

Brand new, with a Windows 7 COA... with XP installed? I would think somebody at the store has some 'splaining to do.

I have Windows XP installed in a VM on Windows 7 (Windows XP Mode).

I also have Windows XP installed on two computers (a 2003 computer and a 2004 laptop). I think it would be a good idea to add an 'old computers' option to the poll.

I don't have a problem with Windows XP, but I definitely wouldn't run it on modern PC hardware, unless of course it was in a VM.

I use it in a VM. . I use it for slipstreaming Onepiece's XP update pack. Besides that I dont use it. I've also got 2K in a VM. I've used this for slipstreaming too (all I use it for now is adding silverlight and flash updates to it)

I have XP on my laptop-- Mainly keep it on there because it came with XP-- I have it setup to do everything I use it for, example-- Watch a DVD when traveling, Check weather through wireless during storms, Check email on the go. Sooner or later I will probably put linux on it.

Inspiron B130 - Dell

Pentium M 1.6ghz

onboard Video

1 gig of memory

160 gig hard drive.

says it is Vista Compatible.

I have Windows XP installed in a VM on Windows 7 (Windows XP Mode).

I also have Windows XP installed on two computers (a 2003 computer and a 2004 laptop). I think it would be a good idea to add an 'old computers' option to the poll.

I don't have a problem with Windows XP, but I definitely wouldn't run it on modern PC hardware, unless of course it was in a VM.

Well, I guess I meant "Do you still use Windows XP on your main computer?"

I have XP on my laptop-- Mainly keep it on there because it came with XP-- I have it setup to do everything I use it for, example-- Watch a DVD when traveling, Check weather through wireless during storms, Check email on the go. Sooner or later I will probably put linux on it.

Inspiron B130 - Dell

Pentium M 1.6ghz

onboard Video

1 gig of memory

160 gig hard drive.

says it is Vista Compatible.

I think sticking another 1 GB of RAM in there would help, better yet another 2 GB.