• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Are You Still Using Windows XP?

Continued Use of Windows XP  

419 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Frylock86    95

I liked Win2k. Doesn't mean I would still be using it today.

• Like 1

+dave164    18

No and no, no need. But I completely agree with the Windows rot people are talking about, it's just reminded me of having to reformat every 6 months with XP even if doing a defrag / cleanup regularly.

Haven't had to format 7 because of rot in the whole time I've had it, only because of new hard drives.

Colin-uk    134

I still dual boot xp.

because some things dont work.

like webcams, some games and other software.

yowanvista    103

In a VM only

wahoospa    108

This machine has Windows 7, WIN XP, and Ubuntu on 3 different hard drives.

I will go 4-5 days using one operating system and then swap to the other.

My laptop runs Windows 7. My other desktop only runs XP.

alexalex    75

And you like XP??? that would be funny if you say yes.

Yes, use it for 10 years

No and no, no need. But I completely agree with the Windows rot people are talking about, it's just reminded me of having to reformat every 6 months with XP even if doing a defrag / cleanup regularly.

Haven't had to format 7 because of rot in the whole time I've had it, only because of new hard drives.

Never formated my laptop XP since day 1 , 10 years ago. Runs like new, and it is on 24/7.

• Like 4

tsupersonic    1,818

VM only (XP mode) in Win. 7

+Frank B.    7,151

VM only.

SSCorporal    0

Just waiting to get enough money to upgrade to 7. XP irritates me.

MtnDewCodeRedFreak    239

Yes, use it for 10 years

Never formated my laptop XP since day 1 , 10 years ago. Runs like new, and it is on 24/7.

I'm sorry to say this, but THAT is laughable.

I don't believe you.

Jen Smith    117
I don't believe you.

Personally, it's plausible. The only time I've ever reformatted my old XP installs were for service packs, otherwise it just takes a bit of preventative maintenance to keep it running smoothly. I've gone a pretty long time between reinstalls without any slowdowns. If you "just use" it heavily then yea, XP's winrot thing tends to set in.

Still wouldn't recommend using it though on anything even remotely up to date hardware wise.

• Like 1

metallithrax    522

Dual boot Linux Mint and XP at home, use XP at work.

I have no reason to upgrade Windows as the PC I use does everything I need as it is.

+devHead    1,986

I'm with Jen Smith also; you couldn't pay me enough to run XP on my machine now (not that it even would - I don't think XP does too well with SSDs). I have it in a VM for some stuff, but to run a 10 year old OS on modern hardware. You know what that would be like? Imagine in 2005, someone saying, "I'm still with Windows 95 'cause it works good for me" or in 2008, saying "I'm still with Windows 98 'cause I just like it." That's just some crazy talk, kids!

Rudy    457

Using it at work, don't have a choice and to be honest I sure hope they upgrade my computer before they install 7 on it.... otherwise it might die lol

Singh400    184

Only in WXPM.

Aethec    633

Yes, on an old Tablet PC with a 900 MHz processor (Win7 requires 1 GHz).

DConnell    6,581

I use it at work - it's a small business that can't afford to upgrade all the systems at once. But at home, I'm using 7 on all my machines.

AOXOMOXOA    5

Well yes and no.

I run a network in my house of about 13 computers if you count laptops as well. most of them are running windows 7 but still a few are XP.

AJerman    761

I do at work, but not at home.

Mr Winkle    1

don't have any windows xp boxes at home anymore. use it in a VM for old software/code i maintain. at work there are still many, many windows xp boxes. it's just too expensive to upgrade them.

Microsoft BOB™ 10    939

Yes! And convinced a lot of people to revert to XP as well.

firey    3,924

At home I run 7 on all machines.

At work I have 2 computers (KVM) one runs XP, the other runs Vista.

xdot.tk    118

I'm with Jen Smith also; you couldn't pay me enough to run XP on my machine now (not that it even would - I don't think XP does too well with SSDs). I have it in a VM for some stuff, but to run a 10 year old OS on modern hardware. You know what that would be like? Imagine in 2005, someone saying, "I'm still with Windows 95 'cause it works good for me" or in 2008, saying "I'm still with Windows 98 'cause I just like it." That's just some crazy talk, kids!

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/8-windows-959898seme/ There's still plenty of people running Windows 9x. There is nothing wrong with them. They are not crazy. Just because someone doesn't think exactly like you or Jen Smith that doesn't mean they are inferior in any way. Your thoughts are not a benchmark in which the rest of the world is judged.

I personally can see the appeal of running 9x...light on resources. I just can't take the slowdowns I used to get when the uptime increased.

Jan    402

Well of course you would...

• Like 1

Max Norris    2,253
I personally can see the appeal of running 9x...light on resources. I just can't take the slowdowns I used to get when the uptime increased.

Why stop there? Everybody knows 9x is slow and bloated anyways. MSDOS 6, throw on QEMM and DESQView for some multitasking in an ultralight environment.

Sorry to hear that, being able to talk somebody into random things doesn't make it good though. Meanwhile though I was inspired by your signature, hope you don't mind. How's mine look? It's a work in progress.

• Like 4