Are You Still Using Windows XP?

Continued Use of Windows XP  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Still Using Windows XP?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Why Are You Still Using XP?

• I don't use it (I answered No to the previous question)
    • Computer's too slow
    • Some software still doesn't work
    • Just not a fan of Vista/7
    • Don't want to pay to upgrade yet
    • Virtual Machine
    • Other

Just because someone doesn't think exactly like you or Jen Smith that doesn't mean they are inferior in any way. Your thoughts are not a benchmark in which the rest of the world is judged.

Just for the record, there's a huge difference from recommending and calling somebody inferior. I could care less, please don't put words in my mouth. You want to run legacy software, knock yourself out.

How's mine look? It's a work in progress.

Niiiiice. ;)

Sorry to hear that, being able to talk somebody into random things doesn't make it good though. Meanwhile though I was inspired by your signature, hope you don't mind. How's mine look? It's a work in progress.

Your signature is great. Except that the articles about "features added" (like features removed) were also written by me on WP. :)

Your signature is great. Except that the articles about "features added" (like features removed) were also written by me on WP. :)

Then you of all people should know better than spreading nonsense about how one OS has had soooo many features removed.. yet ignoring much more that was added.

I Think both your Sigs are trolling!

unless you run windows XP 64Bit good luck on that 32bit software that's going to vanish sooner then you may think. Or good luck with that ram limitation. Or better yet good luck with new hardware that will not have Driver Support for XP.

On a side not why don't you have Features Removed in Windows XP 64Bit edition. Like Drivers Support, and Software support?

-------------

BTW

Features removed in Windows Live Essentials (coming some day maybe) .. here's one. They removed the feature to export/import contact list in WLM. and yes I hate that one the most.

Why don't you have Features Removed for Win XP? Or address it's obvious security concerns?

You're not doing them any favors.

if people want to use XP, then let them. i would rather have a satisfied customer, rather than an unhappy customer.

if people want to use XP, then let them. i would rather have a satisfied customer, rather than an unhappy customer.

People wanting to do something and convincing them to (by extension, abusing your technical knowledge to influence a decision) are two heavily different things.

Continuing to use it, isn't going to save it though. I'd would rather start pushing customers to a supported OS, rather risk them running an unsupported OS, one that has major security issues none the less.

For the last week I have been going to a large hospital to visit someone that had aneurysm repair surgery and every computer I saw had XP on them, even in the ICU. I bet it will be some time before they go to Windows 7.

Just for the record-- Took me about 3 years to finally upgrade my folks from Win 3.1 for workgroups... to Win95 -- But before you go and judge-- and say no way-- The machine does exactly what they want it to do -- (even installed it with the old 3.1 style desktop) ...

The machine --

1. Does not go to the web at all.

2. Only opens/ creates spread sheets.

3. Types up notes to print out.

So finally I magaged to upgrade them to a 200mhz 256mb machine I had lying around.

They were running a 50mhz 16mb machine with Win3.1.

I told them that should they want to ever go to the web- I have a 966mhz 512mb machine laying around that I can install Linix to.

You haven't been here long enough. xpclient (who used to go by tuxplorer, don't know why he changed) is convinced that any time the slightest and most obscure feature is removed from a Windows app, then the removal equates to it being "bad". If you'd like a measure of his maturity at development that drops older operating systems, you should take a look at this thread. The dev of the software he complained about even replied in it. We even (for some reason) had a Neowin front page article that was based solely on his list of "stuff removed from IE" in which several people called him out on the useless nature of doing so.

Don't bother arguing, trust me.

I read that thread and then lost IQ..thanks!

Just so happens that the machine I'm on right now is XP Pro.

1 out 9 isn't bad, is it? Actually only have 8 computers, but one has 2 hards drives booting 2 different versions of Windows 7.

None of my systems have that crapware Vista on them and when I did try it, it usually only lasted for 2 days max! I'd rather have XP over Vista anyday.

And, FWIW,

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with XP either. Heck, even MS knows it's a good system and continues to support it. :)

Edit:

I should add that once I get back to work and can afford the memory, video card and psu, this machine will become a Windows 7 machine too.

Only Windows XP Mode. Other than that, it's asinine to run XP on modern hardware, despite what xpclient/tuxplorer/xpbesthurrdurr would have you believe.

Heck, even MS knows it's a good system and continues to support it. :)

See, that's where people are going wrong.

XP is out of mainstream support. So it's not supported per se anymore, but it is still within extended support. Meaning, it will receive nothing but security updates until 2014. On April 8, 2014, all Windows XP support, including security updates and security-related hotfixes, will be terminated.

XP will not be receiving any new software or technologies. This is why IE9 was developed for Win7, and why Office 15 will be as well.

This isn't about "being good", this is about supporting it's customers. However, the time has come where the foot has to come down, and the world has to move on.

I ticked "computer is too slow" "Don't want to pay to upgrade yet" and "other."

The PC at home is old. Too old to run Windows 7. It would make more sense to buy a new computer than it would to upgrade the internals so that 7 could run. Going with that idea, and considering the fact that Windows XP is still running fine, I don't want to pay for an upgrade just because it'll look nice and shiny and new. Windows XP does what I want.

The "other" check is because at work we're still using Windows XP.

• Like 1

Precisely. That's my philosophy too. If someone is happy with XP, why foist on them a very different OS, which arguably has little to offer compared to XP.

i use windows xp on my netbooks since its slow on windows vista & 7

but on my desktops i use linux & windows 7

Not using it per say but we do at work. Dunno why :wacko: but it drives me nuts!

Yeah, a scary amount of work PCs are still running XP (some even with IE6 and and SP2). Heck, some PCs at my school were using Windows ME a few years back, which were later upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04, which is what they're using now. :x

I do. I have a car diagnostics PC, and although it works through XP mode in win7, I have a throwaround toshiba tablet PC which I dedicate to that job. It doesn't need an internet connection either. I see no reason why I should fix something that already works perfectly. And our university PCs still all use WinXP so use it regularly.

That said... it's nowhere near my own personal computers I use on a daily basis.

I tried W7 for a month. Only thing about it I liked was the faster boot up time. TONS of my older apps wouldnt work with it, even after updating. I hated the new "quicklaunch" bar (if one can call it that), and taskbar/menu system. Windows Explorer was nuked.

Ideally I would like to give w8 a spin whenever it reaches Final status however I've a feeling it will be just more of the same (i.e. Vista with a new coat of paint).

Now I use XP with updates and 3rd party firewalls and related security apps. Just as secure as my W7 experience, and honestly with Stardock's offerings for XP, who the hell needs Aero or any of its relatives? Ballmer can keep his bloated w7. That is all.