• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Are You Still Using Windows XP?

Continued Use of Windows XP  

419 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Frylock86    95

Now I use XP with updates and 3rd party firewalls and related security apps. Just as secure as my W7 experience, and honestly with Stardock's offerings for XP, who the hell needs Aero or any of its relatives? Ballmer can keep his bloated w7. That is all.

Erm... :unsure: Speaking of "bloat"....

• Like 1

Jen Smith    117

Not knocking picking XP if thats your thing, whatever does it for you and all that. Just a couple points though:

TONS of my older apps wouldnt work with it, even after updating.

Surprisingly, I never ran into this, even some games literally from 1995 ran for me. I did hear of a few people having compatibility issues with some VB6/ADO code (literally last century), but supposedly fixed. I think I had to use the "run in XP compatibility" mode a couple times for really old stuff that never got updated and poorly designed, a VM for legacy apps, never.

I hated the new "quicklaunch" bar (if one can call it that), and taskbar/menu system.

Just throwing this out there, you can get a quicklaunch bar and the old style taskbar in Windows 7 with a couple of clicks. To be honest though, once you get used to jumplists, interactive preview windows that let you control apps, etc etc.. it's hard to go back.

and honestly with Stardock's offerings for XP, who the hell needs Aero or any of its relatives? Ballmer can keep his bloated w7. That is all.

Turn Aero off and use basic if you prefer reduced performance? Shoot they even make Windowblinds for Win7 if you're into that sort of thing. (Which takes memory too by the way.)

• Like 1

+Heartripper    184

Now I use XP with updates and 3rd party firewalls and related security apps. Just as secure as my W7 experience, and honestly with Stardock's offerings for XP, who the hell needs Aero or any of its relatives? Ballmer can keep his bloated w7. That is all.

You don't have to find excuses for using xp, the choice is yours, but, hell, what you've said is pure BS.

SaltLife    14

Yup, the two laptops I own require xp, tried 7 on it, but because the video card isn't supported performance was crap(kids couldn't even watch dvds on it)

I also run xp, vista, and 7 in vms on my mac, to keep up with the times and my windows skillz

alexalex    75

I'm sorry to say this, but THAT is laughable.

I don't believe you.

You better believe. In 10 years my IBM Thinkpad A31p has 1 hdd failure replaced under warranty (restored system from Image backup), 1 Screen failure replaced under warranty, 1 power adapter (died after 9 years), bought new one, upgraded hdd from 60GB to 80GB (restored system from image backup).

I am computer professional for 43 years back from the days of IBM 1401, PDP, Series one, Ncr 315..... IBM compatible PCs that run basic language applications... up to Windows 7.

During the years I have replaced most of Windows installed applications with Portable free applications so I don't have bloated registry, system files spread around that remain after uninstall... Never has viruses, trojans..... on the system . For years I use Enterprise level routers with auto firmware updates every 2-3 months , with high grade firewall and build-in anti-virus.

neo158    281

I only use XP Mode on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to run MS Project. The reason is because I have a 32-bit version of Project 2010 and run the 64-bit version of Office 2010 Pro Plus.

MrDoritos    0

Using XP at school and local libraries and one laptop at home which isn't fast enough to run Windows 7 without a hardware upgrade. Windows 7 the other 2 laptops and desktop. Really prefer Windows 7 don't care much for aero tbh am using the classic theme atm.

ShMaunder    102

Yep as dual boot with Ubuntu. Why? Because it does the job in hand without spending money unnecessarily.

One day it won't be able to do the job in hand; at which point i will either swap to linux full time or buy the latest version of Windows.

Simba7    0

Using XP at school and local libraries and one laptop at home which isn't fast enough to run Windows 7 without a hardware upgrade. Windows 7 the other 2 laptops and desktop. Really prefer Windows 7 don't care much for aero tbh am using the classic theme atm.

Windows 7 doesn't matter much about processor speed, but how much memory you have.

I've installed it on a P3@800MHz and 512MB without much issues (getting an i810 graphics driver to work with it is quite interesting). After that, it's smooth sailing. Sure, it doesn't have Aero (unless you stuff in a different video card), but it runs rather decent for what it is.

Richard C.    288

I was using XP until April 22nd, when I bought an iMac :)

I still have various machines running various versions of Windows from NT 3.51 to Windows 7 however they are seldom used. My reasons for running XP and previous NT builds:

• Despite claims about design, it was, even on new hardware generally faster
  • Higher FPS in games
  • Classic Mode in XP still works, and is much nicer for my usage than Aero
  • The left Explorer Pane can be disabled
  • It actually works properly with non homegroup sharing

My reasons for running the mac

• Education
  • Steam is great on that HD screen
  • Speed
  • Reduced security issues
  • I've started doing a lot more writing and it seems to be easier on the mac
  • Excellent Terminal Software
  • Apple's Discussions page solves almost every issue I've had

soldier1st    40

Continuing to use it, isn't going to save it though. I'd would rather start pushing customers to a supported OS, rather risk them running an unsupported OS, one that has major security issues none the less.

We all know you are anti XP so plz get over it and move on.I bet when Windows 10 is out then you will be anti Windows 7 and you would say the exact same thing about it and blah blah blah. if you want everyone to use a supported OS then how about you give us the money so we could all move to it. not all of us have mega bucks to spend ya know.

• Like 1

Frylock86    95

We all know you are anti XP so plz get over it and move on.I bet when Windows 10 is out then you will be anti Windows 7 and you would say the exact same thing about it and blah blah blah. if you want everyone to use a supported OS then how about you give us the money so we could all move to it. not all of us have mega bucks to spend ya know.

No. You know why? Cus Microsoft isn't going to let Windows 7 sit around for ten years. I liked using Win2k back in the day, that doesn't mean I would still use it ten years down the road.

And if it happens, Windows 7 will be ready for it, unlikie XP, it can hold it's own going online better than XP can. It's security will hold out just fine. But XP isn't meant to run in today's computing environments, and despite what Windows 7 has going for it, it too, won't take advantage of computing environments 10 years from now.

• Like 2

Frylock86    95

Also, I have a beef with the users who have no technical knowledge of the underpinnings of either OS, thinking Windows 7 is nothing but looks, completely ignoring the benefits of the under the hood changes Microsoft put in in developing Vista.

Compared with XP, these changes brought about:

Stability - Here is a benefit of using the Server codebase. Originally, Longhorn was developed using XP's codebase, but after the reset, Microsoft began using the Server codebase which has paid off, giving users a more stable working environment. Also, Microsoft moved system drivers out of the core of the OS, preventing buggy system drivers from crashing the system (Display drivers for example).

Security - Again, here we see the benefits of using the server codebase. Instead of being 'tacked on' via a service pack, Microsoft actually re-designed the OS with modern security in mind. 10 years ago, malware wasn't what it is today, and highspeed, always-on Internet wasn't as prevalent as it is today, and XP just isn't meant to be run in that kind of environment. How Microsoft didn't see that happening is beyond me, but XP's security is just a joke when compared with Windows 7. I'm kind of glad I don't need to bog down my system with security apps anymore to match what Microsoft has built right into the OS. I run MSE on Windows 7, compared to 2 or 3 anti-virus and anti-malware apps I ran on XP.

I'd go on to describe the usability benefits Vista gave us, but I'm pretty sure this post is already over the heads of the XP diehards ;)

Teebor    182

Simple reason I still use XP I have software that just doesn't work properly on Windows 7, I can get it to work in a fashion but it doesn't work properly. There are other options out there which might be able to replace it but I would have to pay a subscription of about ?30-40 per year, and I'm cheap so I'm not going to do that :)

Having said that I just bought a Windows 7 family Pack to upgrade 3 machines to Windows 7 and my main gaming rig is now on Windows 7 and the machine runs so much faster, its lovely

Still can't afford to upgrade all my machines though :(

Volatile    13

Vista - No.

But Windows 7 does the trick. I use it both at work and at home x64 and have found no issues with software compatibility (even with a 15 year old piece of software @ work).

EDIT:

HOWEVER!

98% of those who are not IT in the company are running Windows XP. We are working on a Windows 7 Image though. We were just too scared to release the OS with numerous questions: "where is this? how do I do this now?", so we waited till the last minute...

• Like 1

Geoffrey B.    1,415

At home I have Windows 7 on my Desktop and I have a Macbook with Snowleopard, However, at work I am still using Windows XP as is most of the company, There are 5 computes with Windows 7 though and my replacement machine this year will have it on it.

Frylock86    95

HOWEVER!

98% of those who are not IT in the company are running Windows XP. We are working on a Windows 7 Image though. We were just too scared to release the OS with numerous questions: "where is this? how do I do this now?", so we waited till the last minute...

You're always going to get that. You could move Betty The Secretary's IE icon from the left side of the screen, to the right side, and your helpdesk queue would be blown up with requests.

humble3d    5

I am the odd ball who still enjoys both windows xp and windows 98 se... :)

NEVER85    248

Vista - No.

But Windows 7 does the trick.

Vista and 7 are pretty damn similar. Why does this fact still escape some people?

He's Dead Jim    1,972

Use XP on an old asus machine on which I run soft synths, I did try it with W7, but the drives kept "dissapearing", so reverted to XP.

I also use XP on a MSI board with an XP2600 processer, machine, I tried W7 beta on that, but there was little speed diference, and I didnt want to spend money for little gain, I get free XP with my corp vl key.

still1    251

Vista and 7 are pretty damn similar. Why does this fact still escape some people?

Yes similar but 7 is better.... Why does this fact still escape some people?

AnotherITguy    159

Unfortunately most of my clients will still be using some sort of Version of XP (XP Mode or retail XP) come 2014, so sad.

remixedcat    2,767

I get free XP with my corp vl key.

FCKGW-RHQQ2...... remember me?

Pleasureseeker    0

I still keep an XP machine around for older games and gaming hardware - I have a very nice steering wheel that, although ten years old, still works as it should but there's no drivers to use it with Win7 SP1 and none are going to be forthcoming from Thrustmaster. It's a minor irritant, but I can't justify the cost of a G27 right now, otherwise I'd be racing on my Win7 PC.

Richard C.    288

XP tends to get higher FPS in games, on cheaper hardware, so it's useful to keep it around, a case in point on my gaming rig:

Half-life 2 in Windows XP at high settings gets on average 120fps

Half-life 2 in Windows 7 at high settings gets on average 70fps