• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Are You Still Using Windows XP?

Continued Use of Windows XP  

419 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

WelshBluebird    95

I'm not, but my parents are on the desktop. Its a 8 year old computer, and I really don't see the point in buying Win 7 for it.

They use Windows 7 on the laptop though, and I have it installed on my macbook too (for mine I have a version from MSDNAA).

derkim    110

since windows vista beta2 I don't use Windows XP anymore.

hotdog666al    31

Got it in a VM for old games. AoE and other classic games I still play don't like Windows 7's utterly terrible 256 colour palette handling. Crash explorer.exe whenever I want to start the game? No thanks!

Also got it installed on my Eee PC 701 (Imagine trying to put Windows 7 on that!) and my old XP 3200+ box which I am planning on updating soon.

I don't like seeing people using it as their primary OS from a security perspective, but in some cases it's the best option.

C:Amie    51

Testing VMs here, but all my physical systems are 7 x64 or Server 2008 r2, have been since 7 RTM (Vista/2008 x64 previously).

AnotherITguy    159

Im thinking of setting up an XP VM for testing customer scenerios, its still widely used in the enterprise

furyshinobi    4

Nope, never has no use for XP anymore. Even my dad's old notebook is upgraded to Windows 7 and it runs flawlessly. Very impressed with 7 so far and hope Windows 8 will be the same. No Windows 7, no life :laugh:

DDStriker    19

I still use XP as it faster to load up XP in a Virtualbox and do a search on my photo's folder than it is to use the crappy windows7 search, that never finds everything that XP does.

Might i recommend "search everything" great search utility for windows i haven't found anything that can compete against it

Izlude    100

I use win7 for main and XP for for 1 single reason... My SoundBlaster PCI128 sound card only works in windows XP. The good thing about this sound card is that it uses an old Midi technology that has yet to be rivaled (the 8mb wave table) which has features for instrumentation that are not available in keyboards, soundbanks and software like fruityloops. But that's a whole other story. Sadly, this card doesn't work in windows 7 64.

grueeue    0

Nope, I haven't used XP for ages. Most of my friends still use it though.

Green_Eye    49

I just swapped to Windows 7 today. Yes it was a comfortable cave I was living in and yes the sun did hurt my eyes when I climbed out of it (Y)

n_K    2,340

Got Win7/XP multiboot.

Haven't really bothered with windows in the past month though, had enormous amounts of fun with gentoo ****ing up multiple times so I'm now running arch again with gnome and sabayon on my tested server to migrate away from server 2003..

acnpt    39

Yes, in a VM for a few older games. Like GTA1 and original Age of Empires (to run windowed).

Quick Shot    44

I use XP on a daily basis but at work.

I tried to get my job to switch to win 7, but they're being very stubborn about staying on xp.

Soulsiphon    73

Using it still on 2 PC's. A late 2000/2001 Dell Inspiron P3 1GHz (yes, it's still running with all it's OEM parts after 10 years, Dell kicked tail back then) and a 2006'ish HP Pavilion laptop - complete POS with the variable RAM/Video memory (wth was someone thinking there?).

XP is perfect for both of those rigs, although the wife uses the HP and farmville/frontierville just kick the snot out of it. Not XP's fault however :)

Steve B.    467

Technically no, my main machine no longer runs Windows XP.

My old desktop does run it still, but is residing packed away in the attic.

Subject Delta    108

On my old PC... absolutely not

However I still have an old crappy laptop that I use as a spare with XP, in case anyone needs to use the net whilst they're here, too slow to run Windows 7, and most mainstream Linux distros run even more slowly than Windows on it

mikee286    5

I have an old computer that I use xp on still since I tried windows 7 but all that upgrade gave me is bsods every time I attempt to: play a video, open a picture file, watch a youtube video. Whereas xp lets me do all those things. However I do use windows 7 on my main rig and have a vista laptop. If I wasn't given windows 7 as a gift back in 2009 I would be still using xp due to lack of funds and I'm a bit of a cheapskate

wahoospa    108

This is being typed on a machine with Windows XP.

Can you tell it wasn't typed on Windows 7?

rfirth    740

This is being typed on a machine with Windows XP.

Can you tell it wasn't typed on Windows 7?

Yes.

ipeters61    0

I have it in VMware, but i found that i rarely load it up. usually always testing stuff in windows 98se for some reason :p

I have one virtual machine with Windows ME. I have no idea why I created it. I just felt like seeing the technologies that were "mainstream" in Windows XP (Movie Maker, System Restore) in Windows ME, I guess.

I'd like to add that all the computers in my school's library have been upgraded to 7.