Thrips [Insects between LCD screen]

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have Thrips stuck in your LCD?

• Yes
    • No
    • I've only just found out what one is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

So, just lately they seem to becoming a bigger problem. I thought it was funny and novel when I saw someone else with little bugs crawling under their LCD monitor until I ended up with some.

I only have 2 and they're not in the worst place but they still annoy the hell out of me! It's like having 2 x 5 dead pixels on my screen.

Anyone know of a way to get rid of them? I forgot to mention, mine died months ago and have been stuck in the same places ever since.

edit - they're more commonly known as the Thunder bug

I have had one in my laptop, just used a lamp to encourage it to the edge of the screen then squished it under the side. Not a problem now but annoying as hell when I found it. :angry:

Mine seemed unfazed by anything I tried to do when they were still crawling around. I had high hopes at one point, one of them kept going under the bottom bezel of my dell 2007wfp but it managed to crawl back up about a CM and die there. The other one is about an inch and a half from the top near the middle...

I have one right in the middle on my laptop. I first saw it crawling around the edge, and started panicking when it reached the middle and died :no:

Apparently, the Dell limited warrenty doesn't cover this. They also claim the insects chew through the seals to get in. I find that hard to believe. It's out of warranty anyway. My 3rd replacement at that! (due to totally difference reasons though)

The one reassuring thing I have to say is, they decay over time. A bloody long time though, mine are still very visible but it's sort of like they're only semi-opaque now.

use a debugger

http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true

I have none in any of my "screens" but I have them in pictures that hang around my home. A Lot easier to clear but I would not be happy if one was to get into my LCD and die in the centre like they do in my pictures.

I had a bug stuck in my old Gateway laptop screen. Eventually it annoyed me enough that I took the screen apart and wiped the whole inside clean.

gawd, Apple should stop putting out Buggy screens......... this should never of passed quality control....

on a serious note I had this happen to my Dell Ultrasharp 20" annoyed the heck out of me, no idea what happened to the bug, it just disappeared one day

take the damn thing back, it should be sealed damnit

Really? all the monitors I have dismantled have been simply several layered materials making up the screen. There was nothing sealing the edges that had to be cut or removed. They were just simply clamped in to place to hold it together.

Sadly this is also what you have to do to remove the little buggers once they die in your screen :(

I've tried turning the screen on its side and tapping the edges of the screen and they don't shift :( grrr

I got one of these ******** in my monitor last summer, only had the damn thing a couple of weeks when it got in there too. After about 3 or 4 days it died near the middle of the screen and is still there now. I hear using a large suction cup can dislodge the thrip and send it falling to the bottom where it should'nt be seen, but I've yet to this myself.

There are very few insects in this area so I haven't suffered this and I'm unlikley to either

I do. 2 flies stuck between the backlight and the actual screen. I've seen one of them while it was still alive, pretty annoying. Was a vague black spot on my screen flying around making noise, couldn't get it out. Now it's just two darkish spots in my taskbar if I've done some bad positioning with the screen, if I shake it back they aren't visible :p

I've got one crawling around in my MP3 player it's been there for years. Never really through much of it.

lol, never heard of them before. Now Im gunna be checking all my screens ot make sure there are none hahah.