My Reasons for installing win2k3 instead of WinXP

For all of you who respond so elequently to everyone's every question regarding how to run something on win2k3, WinXP blowz donkey nuts compared to the stability of win2k3 ...

WinXP crashes every 10 minutes ... with all the clients I have, everyone asks to be downgraded to win200... coincidence? I don't think so.

I thought this forum would be visted by fellow professionals, but I guess I was wrong.

There should be a rule in this forum so people wont just dismiss people's questions with snide remarks... why would someone ask a question if they didn't know the answer?

How about using your brain and providing someone w/ either a link to another thread if its already been covered or something else?

Back to google to find something useful

PS

High shool? That was 12 years ago guys ... let's try and not use the same jokes you used back then. It's old. (well for some of you, you may still be in HS certainly sounds like it)

-E

XP and 2003 Server are the same code base. As for WinXP crashing every ten minutes I would have to say either your lying or you have monkeys using the PC's.

Also XP is built on 2000 as XP is only a minor upgrade to 2000 (NT 5 to NT5.1).

I have seen through my job thousands using 2000 and XP and crashing is one thing that very rarely happens, when it does its a hardware fault.

WinXP crashes every 10 minutes ... with all the clients I have, everyone asks to be downgraded to win200... coincidence? I don't think so.

How many clients do you have? This is straight from microsoft's site ->

For Windows XP Professional, the maximum number of other computers that are permitted to simultaneously connect over the network is ten. This limit includes all transports and resource sharing protocols combined.

Why are you using XP as a server at all? I'm sorry this is really pathetic and makes no sense at all. Wow.

XP and 2003 Server are the same code base. As for WinXP crashing every ten minutes I would have to say either your lying or you have monkeys using the PC's.

Yes but you already know that Win2k3 is 5.2, a minor update to Windows XP (5.1). The key reason that Windows 2003 is more stable than XP (and it is so lets not be silly here) is because MS broke compatiblity with a lot of older software - It makes the OS more stable and more secure.

With Windows XP its flaw always lies in the fact that Microsoft had to bolt-on as many 'shims' as they could to make sure older programs worked. There was no half-way - Either all older programs worked or people would be put off upgrading.

I think the main reason Windows 2000 apears to be more stable than XP is just because its been knocking around a lot longer and its on its 4th service pack already. Software (older) tends to be written with it in mind of course...

:happy:

Yes but you already know that Win2k3 is 5.2, a minor update to Windows XP (5.1). The key reason that Windows 2003 is more stable than XP (and it is so lets not be silly here) is because MS broke compatiblity with a lot of older software - It makes the OS more stable and more secure.

With Windows XP its flaw always lies in the fact that Microsoft had to bolt-on as many 'shims' as they could to make sure older programs worked. There was no half-way - Either all older programs worked or people would be put off upgrading.

I think the main reason Windows 2000 apears to be more stable than XP is just because its been knocking around a lot longer and its on its 4th service pack already. Software (older) tends to be written with it in mind of course...

:happy:

I'm not saying 2003 Server isn't a bit more stable, it was built on XP code base but obviously had a few improvements a long the way.

I am questioning XP crashing every ten minutes.

That's true, ive never had XP do that to me. Infact ive not had any REAL stability problems with XP.

But maybe if they are using some sort of legacy software that isnt fully XP compatible then i guess that could be causing some frequent crash's to the software (though not XP itself). Maybe its just supported by NT/2000. Maybe its just not 100% on XP - he didnt give us much info to go on. :)

That's true, ive never had XP do that to me. Infact ive not had any REAL stability problems with XP.

But maybe if they are using some sort of legacy software that isnt fully XP compatible then i guess that could be causing some frequent crash's to the software (though not XP itself). Maybe its just supported by NT/2000. Maybe its just not 100% on XP - he didnt give us much info to go on. :)

But as XP is built on NT code, it has pre-emtive multi tasking and protected memory space so when a program crashes the OS can not go down with it.

Thats what i said :D

could be causing some frequent crash's to the software (though not XP itself).

But anyway he seemed kinda annoyed so maybe he was just rushing and nothing thinking his post though sort of thing. :)

Sounds to me like you're the one pulling out all the snide remarks there buddy.

What on earth are you using your XP for? I've been on XP since December last year, and its bluescreened on me perhaps a dozen times. Most of those can be attributed to my personal tweaking, i.e. bad Shell32.dll file. I don't see how you could be having crashes every 10 minutes...

- Run virus scan?

- Run Ad-Aware?

- Check and make sure you weren't sold a bunch of WinME computers with WindowsBlinds installed?

Perhaps your clients downgraded because their machines weren't able to run XP as fast as they liked? I notice you said they downgraded to W2K rather than getting Server 2003.

Anyway, a mod should retitle this thread. It doesn't sound like this is any list of why W2K is better than XP, its just plain ranting about your personal problems.

Get over it.

LOL Enkrypt ur getting smacked around and kinda look silly right about now. It seems kinda obvious that 2k3 makes a better server, while xp makes a better Desktop pc for homeusers. :rolleyes:

:sleep:

well, I am writing this line here using my xp machine that "didnt crash" for

66 days by now

if yours crash every 10 mins, then you are lying OR/AND you know **** about computer and

you prolly install any **** from internet..

anyway

Wait a minute... I've had XP fairly tweaked for um... I dunno, like 4 weeks after it came out. It's never crashed... ever. Literally. I've had a few games crash to desktop, but that's the closest I've ever come...

WinXP crashes every 10 minutes

i've got a machine that's been running xp since it was released and it's only crashed on me once, because i added a piece of ram that didn't want to play well with the other stick - it's never crashed due to a software error and certainly not an OS-level error.

i find it humorous that you rant and rave like an angry 3-year-old, while making comments about the immaturity of neowin members. that's real slick, pal. real slick.

come back when you grow up a little and can make some valid points, mkay? mkay.

WinXP crashes every 10 minutes

Ya that probably wasn't the brightest comment ever made. only because you said it as if XP sucks donkey As* when infarct its pretty obvious your PC has some issue with XP.

now with that out of the way hehe, help us understand in what way XP would crash? Did it blue screen on you? if so what was the error message, which system file did it say caused the blue screen.

That sorta of stuff..

that way we can help you fix what ever MAJOR issue your pc has with XP

How many clients do you have? This is straight from microsoft's site ->

For Windows XP Professional, the maximum number of other computers that are permitted to simultaneously connect over the network is ten. This limit includes all transports and resource sharing protocols combined.

Why are you using XP as a server at all? I'm sorry this is really pathetic and makes no sense at all. Wow.

I have 7 different clients some with about 15 employees to 100 employees

Now about the other part, Um dude are you serious?!

I would not use WinXP on a DESKTOP let alone a server! what the hell are you talking about??!

Microsoft wont have anything on its site explaining why users using email and browsing the web have so many problems... I see it every day. And promptly suggest that they get rid of winXP.. As soon as the did, all their problems melt away. (REMEMBER KIDS I am talking about WinXP ON A DESKTOP not a server)

-E

And promptly suggest that they get rid of winXP.. As soon as the did, all their problems melt away. (REMEMBER KIDS I am talking about WinXP ON A DESKTOP not a server)

just have to say it - your average user must be dumber than a bag of hammers.

just about every machine running on our campus was upgraded to xp pro this year and even the machines over in the drama and theater departments (where they aren't exactly computer-savvy users), things run just fine. a few profs have older versions of windows, linux machines, or macs running for personal use, but all our xp machines are just fine.

i guess it helps that our sysadmin's know how to configure things properly, too. they block just enough access to keep folks from trashing the machines, but still give enough freedom to do the things you need/want.

I will have to agree with you, Win3k is more stable and sightly faster tan xp, But saying that xp crashes every ten minutes is not true, it would be true if:

-Using it on a crappy Pc, (I doubt it thou)

-Running crappy software

-Virus infection

-Rpc Worm crap

-Letting your little bro mess with the registry (sp?)

-Crappy instalation by a newby.

- Your hard drive is messed up or other hardware related problems.

All this things are not Os realted, they can be solved, not windows fault (well Rpc worm is)

I have 2 machines, one with 2k3 (2.8Ghz/fx5600/512mb) and my good old PIII-866mhz with 512mb & Geforce 3.... I have been running Xp in my old one since it came up and have only crashed once because my old pc is not ACPI, but after that... none

Geeeezus! What a way to read someone's post...

Ok well I apologize if I sound a little annoyed ...its just very frustrating for everyone when you ask a valid question and they say "RTFM" or "why are you using win2k3 on a desktop its a server operating system" ... I dont know how many times I've seen that on this board.

Ok now a bit of background for you guys that would like to know -

I originally started w/ computers back in 1992 and since then have become a unix systems engineer for about 6 years now...

I'm only doing desktop support now b/c I just moved to LA 2 years ago from Atlanta... finally getting back into building Linux & Solaris web farms etc.. the IT market in LA is much less prevalent.

Ok let me explain mY "XP crashes every 10 minutes" post...

Its not *MY* Pc we're talking about.. and its not a lack of ability to intstall M$ office or any other software for that matter.

I meant this in a way that every ten minutes, It seems like I'm getting a call from at least one of my clients saying their machine has crashed in one way or another... And like I said, sometimes its the OS just hanging or applications like Office XP crashing. (and yes that was written for WinXP)

None of these clients are developers or anything like that... not even power users... so they're not doing anything other than emailing and office applications.

As soon as I UPgraded to win2k, everything was great and I'd get taken out to dinner for it (this has happened from more than 3 of my clients)

One exception, for instance was that I had a client a long time ago that was doing video editing using Avid Xpress DV 3.5 w/ WinXP (Xpress DV 3 wont work w/ XP only win2k) and they're machine was crashing so hard you had to unplug it just to get it to reboot.

They had 300GB array w/ all their project data on it ..96% full of footage... so they were afraid to do anything to it... So after talking to the guys @ Avid they said the 3.5 footage is compatible w/ 3.0 so I unplugged the array and installed win2k. Ever since they've not had one crash... The Avid guys also said Xpress DV 3.5 was written specifically for WinXP... so its not like its incompatible..it wont run on anything else!

So in other words, I'll never install XP on my desktop b/c I think its crap.

Thats the only reason I'm trying Win2k3 on my desktop. I have 2 clients that use it as servers and they have no problems... its very stable and I've seen no crashes at all. Thats very significant to me. So naturally I wanted to see how it performed on a desktop comparitively. I'll probably go back to Win2k Server on my desktop machine b/c its much more stable and has terminal services.

-Enkrypt3d

Edited by enkrypt3d

i have seen sooo menny xp maciens with problems that didnt make any sence turnes out most of them are autoupdate hotfixes that dont playwell with other things like vid drivers

i used xp for 7.5 months at first it was grate but over time it got slower and bugger even on my fathers system that is just a webserf and typing machien

i UPgraded to back to 2k after that 7.5 months and WOW i was suprised it was faster even with all the extra **** i installed it was still faster then xp ever was

then i got 2k3 rc1/2 and was like WOOT i will admit i downloaded the 3in1 cd of 2k3 first then a buddy at intel offered to trade me my 2 copys of xp pro for a copy of 2k3 standred :) i am happy he also gave me a 2nd licence for it :D even on my fathers old 550mhz k6-2 its better then xp with everything turned off

You start a thread automaticaly in a defense mode, insulting members here, then continue to do exactly what your bitching about in every post you have made. Practice what you preach my friend, and you mabey will gain some respect here. State YOUR OPINION, and discuss it.

By the way, I manage a large amount of computers at the corporation I work at, and I have yet to have a system crash 1 time since XP came out. They also run Office XP, Graphic apps, etc. I wonder why it works pretty smooth for us? since XP sucks so bad?

i've never had any problems with xp that didn't turn out to be bad drivers... xp works great for everything IMO. it's fast and reliable, and i prefer it any day over windows 2000.

as for using windows server 2003 as a workstation, i don't care what you do, just make sure it's legal ;) but converting the OS to workstation defeats the point of using server 2003; it's 99.999% exactly the same as xp. the kernel has things added for IIS 6.0 and such, but you're not using that anyway...

Wow, you must be doing somthing seriously wrong, It doesn't system crash for weeks at least from anyone I know including myself.