• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

My Reasons for installing win2k3 instead of WinXP

Premgenius    27

They are the same W2K is based upon WinXP wot planet r u living on

a-dawg    0

I wonder if he upgraded and is using the fat32 file system? Still i think he'd be stabler on xp.... fat32 crashes alot more due to its writing method. Or maybe he doesn't know what hes talking about and wants to sound stupid? :cry: :)

Dazzla    5

We've got a couple of XP workstations at work and we have 3 shared printers, if one is offline every program that attempts to print (before the print dialog) crashes :| even stuff like notepad. Could be bad drivers I guess, but then again it's the same for the default XP drivers MS install and the HP drivers :/

cyberfrem    0

1. I'm not a high school kid :cool:

2. I'm a certified professional :ninja:

3. I've been running XP for almost a year now and have yet to see it crash :p

4. XP is the best MS Windows OS I've used so far ;)

Inertia    41
1. I'm not a high school kid  :cool:

2. I'm a certified professional :ninja:

3. I've been running XP for almost a year now and have yet to see it crash :p

4. XP is the best MS Windows OS I've used so far ;)

I agree, XP is VERY stable

zhangm    1,333

Errrm... enkrypt3d, have you considered the possibility that your clients are all Joe-Sixpacks who can't tell the power button from the mousepad? Seriously, have you considered telling any of them to switch to Macs?

Any OS in the wrong hands can turn into a nightmare. And oppositely, any OS, in the right hands, is at least usable...I think.

sgtLENIN    0

XP works fine for me, and if your using XP as an server your just plain stupid. Okthx.

enkrypt3d    0

Just as I was saying before... (nearly) every single post on this board degenerates into flaming... no one actually reads what people type ...just a quick skim ... and then BLASTS flames and inaccurate prejudgements on others...

goes to show the age demographic that surrounds this site.

It's of no useful value to me.

I'm out ...

-enkrypt3d

Statikk    7

c-ya later!

(sorry about the previous post...I was halfway finished and then my XP crashed!) ;) :rolleyes:

William    0

I've read this thread in it's entirety and I'm convinced that you started this thread in the hopes that people would be childish and call you a n00b or other like names. Instead, most of them questioned your "facts" and asked for clarification. You instead chose to quote the most poorly thought out and poorly written reply to respond to, thereby ignoring those that made good and valid points. Instead of listing reasons for choosing Win2k3 over XP you claimed that XP is unstable, without giving any reasons other than "it just is". After getting chewed up and spat out for your stupidity, you claim again as you did in your initial post that all neowinians are stupid High Schoolers (what's wrong with that anyway?) and claimed that this was of no use to you. We asked questions and flat out said you were wrong (and you are). You don't seem to like it when people disagree with you and when educated questions are asked you dodge them.

Very smart for a guy with all these "clients" to look after. I wouldn't trust you to be my babysitter after seeing this ****.

mm3h    0

Xp Crashing that like impossible on my comp its NEVER crashed! and im being honest too

machima    0

Sure, i've had many problems with XP. But it's always been MY FAULT. XP is very, very stable when you want it to be (i.e Don't install crap and then delete it improperly), but of course it's easily fixable.

HoochieMamma    716

XP is GOD!! www.mac-sucks.com

broo    0

Everyone has different experiences tbh...

Encrypt, my situation is the complete opposite to yours, we have machines that crash every 10 minutes on w2k... and yes i am competent and fully know what im doing thanks. Most of the machines are due to silly things like dead cdroms, faulty ram, dying hard drives etc. However I realise this so dont run around shouting "W2K IS RUBBISH, IT CRASHES EVERY 10 MINUTES!!!!!!"

Ive had XP on my pc since its release (i even used whistler betas at my old job doing software testing) and the thing is solid as can be. Since upgrading my pc at home and sticking xp pro on it I have had, 2 bsod since march... BOTH have been caused by my graphics card. 1st one was my card dying, 2nd one was a bug in the radeon drivers (its noted on ati's website).

99.9% of any windows crashes(any os) are to do with

Bad drivers

Bad hardware

And also I have known people to have more problems with W2k3 server then XP, my boss here just couldnt get it to run at all, yet the machine can run xp/2k fine (again i think this was down to a duff display driver shipped with w2k3 for his card).

If you are such a I.T Professional you would have realised this, why dont you look at yourself before accusing others of being "immature".

KiwiNZ    5

This is a strange thread

Mr enkrypt3d I think you need a chill pill

CubanPete    0

I dont agree with the unstable issue of XP, Fair enough when it came out i had a few problems but that was mostly driver issues not keeping up with the new os.

As for W2k3 being better, i think you really need to clarify what you want from an os, if your the kind of person thats not too bothered about games but wants to run a web server thats generally accessed by medium amounts of users (so need pritty high performance) or want like me to leave the computer on overnight downloading so its on for days then i'd use 2k3. Im not slating XP but i've had 2k3 running for 20days without needing a reboot and without becomming sluggish, the reason i rebooted was for a driver upgrade. I havent triad that with xp so im not sure but i would have thought after a couple of days it may become a little sluggish.

iMonkey    1

Enkrypt3d, instead of rambling on about practically nothing each time you post - how about you attempt to explain your claims and show us a little proof that xp crashes 'every 10 minutes', after READING ALL the posts in this thread, I don't think once that you have attempted to clarify yourself at all..

Wickedkitten    11

If you have that many computers crashing in different organisations, I don't blame the user at all, I blame the person that set them up in the first place

KiwiNZ    5
If you have that many computers crashing in different organisations, I don't blame the user at all, I blame the person that set them up in the first place

Agreed , the person setting them up is the common denominator here.

Statikk    7

Very good point...

enkrypt3d    0
Everyone has different experiences tbh...

Encrypt, my situation is the complete opposite to yours, we have machines that crash every 10 minutes on w2k... and yes i am competent and fully know what im doing thanks. Most of the machines are due to silly things like dead cdroms, faulty ram, dying hard drives etc. However I realise this so dont run around shouting "W2K IS RUBBISH, IT CRASHES EVERY 10 MINUTES!!!!!!"

Ive had XP on my pc since its release (i even used whistler betas at my old job doing software testing) and the thing is solid as can be. Since upgrading my pc at home and sticking xp pro on it I have had, 2 bsod since march... BOTH have been caused by my graphics card. 1st one was my card dying, 2nd one was a bug in the radeon drivers (its noted on ati's website).

99.9% of any windows crashes(any os) are to do with

Bad drivers

Bad hardware

And also I have known people to have more problems with W2k3 server then XP, my boss here just couldnt get it to run at all, yet the machine can run xp/2k fine (again i think this was down to a duff display driver shipped with w2k3 for his card).

If you are such a I.T Professional you would have realised this, why dont you look at yourself before accusing others of being "immature".

Its so bizzare to have people defend those that are just replying with "win2k3 is for servers so u have no business using it" ... Why bother posting this? it just degenerates the thread into a flame war. I know this is not hard to understand so why are we having such problems?

"... and yes i am competent and fully know what im doing thanks." What? I never said anything about anyone being incapable of anything... If I did, please quote me.

"However I realise this so dont run around shouting "W2K IS RUBBISH, IT CRASHES EVERY 10 MINUTES!!!!!!" "

Must I explain my entire business model to get my point across?

<<< OK EVERYONE READ THIS IF NOT ANYTHING ELSE >>>

My clients are always coming and going... getting new clients and migrating old clients to new employees... so I dont always have control over who does what with what PC or OS. For the most part, I always get the client and they already have WinXP... and Office XP or 2k. Some have problems some do not. It depends on their using habits. That's obvious to everyone I hope. *BUT FOR THE MOST PART* (And yes I do have the right to state this) My experiences with WinXP has not been good over all. When I said "XP Crashes every 10 minutes it was a blatant exaggeration to begin with and secondly I ALSO stated that it *FELT* like I was getting calls every 10 minutes with XP stability and application compatibility issues. How much clearer do I need to explain this?

" XP is very, very stable when you want it to be (i.e Don't install crap and then delete it improperly), but of course it's easily fixable. " -machima

Heheheh I like that one.. I totally agree with you here. If WinXP is installed and left alone ... w/ nothing running on it, I'm sure it would run for as long as u wanted it to... But what good is that? Where one gets their value, is from the usefulness, stability, compatibility and flexability right?

"I've read this thread in it's entirety and I'm convinced that you started this thread in the hopes that people would be childish and call you a n00b or other like names."

Why would I want that? That was the sole basis of my complaint on this board! Its in black & white people!

"Instead, most of them questioned your "facts" and asked for clarification. You instead chose to quote the most poorly thought out and poorly written reply to respond to, thereby ignoring those that made good and valid points."

I never said anything was "FACT". I explicitly gave my clarification to why I said "WinXP crashes every 10 min" (see above for info if you missed it) What am I gaining by trying to continually defend myself from people who dont agree with me? If you dont agree, that's terrific! More power to you. It's your opinion. I'm not going to try and change it. Just as I have mine.

"Instead of listing reasons for choosing Win2k3 over XP you claimed that XP is unstable, without giving any reasons other than "it just is"."

It really would be nice if I had actually said these things. But this is what you read not what I typed. entirely inaccurate. Like I said, I never said anything was fact. Of course, no matter how much time I waste on this board, its going to make no difference to you or anyone else.

"After getting chewed up and spat out for your stupidity, you claim again as you did in your initial post that all neowinians are stupid High Schoolers (what's wrong with that anyway?) and claimed that this was of no use to you.

*sigh* again I never said EVERYONE at neowin is stupid. If I did, quote me and flame me for that. Again, you're reading what you want, not what I typed. And again, I'm wasting my time defending myself rather than STAYING ON @#$%ING TOPIC! (another one of my original complaints)

"We asked questions and flat out said you were wrong (and you are)."

I'm wrong about what? Having an opinion about not liking WinXP over Win2k3? I dont have to have reasons for my preferences. Do you have reasons for why you like the color blue over red? (just an example dont take it personally)

"You don't seem to like it when people disagree with you and when educated questions are asked you dodge them."

No I love it when people disagree with me. It's what makes life interesting. Life would be boring if everyone agreed with everything you said wouldn't it? The only problem I have is, when people blatantly call other's names (like n00b and other crass statements) Of coures my retorts may contain some of this language ... yet, who wouldn't feel a bit offended by someone flaming them for doing nothing but asking a harmless question? I guess everyone just has so much extra time on their hands...? (guessing)

"Very smart for a guy with all these "clients" to look after. I wouldn't trust you to be my babysitter after seeing this **"**."

Uncalled for.

enkrypt3d

enkrypt3d    0

*sincerely doubting that his posts are even getting through to anyone*

:blink: :sleep:

KiwiNZ    5

enkrypt3d I suggested earlier that you may need a chill pill , shall I you send you a gross of them? I think they are needed .

Sheesh have a drink man , and rejoice in the $ your customers pay you when you fix their machines

cyberfrem    0
Just as I was saying before... (nearly) every single post on this board degenerates into flaming... no one actually reads what people type ...just a quick skim ... and then BLASTS flames and inaccurate prejudgements on others...

goes to show the age demographic that surrounds this site.

It's of no useful value to me.

I'm out ...

-enkrypt3d

I thought you said you were ****ing off and leaving us all alone, Enkrypt3d? :D

aemon    0

My only thought on this is that your are replacing an desktop operating system that can be purchased for less than 300.00 (full retail) with an operating system that is nearly 1000.00. Comapnies must be rolling in dough there in LA because in this area, they dont even want to spend 150.00 for an operating system. Infact, all I am hearing are things like, "Why shoud we put Windows on all our desktops, can't we use Linux?" My clients aren't asking for Linux because of its stability. They ask for it because its cheap.

So again, what's your pitch to get the 1000 bucks a desktop from them?